COVID-19 Updates & Programs

We will be using this page during the COVID-19 crisis to issue information for our housing clients, and other Housing services. Please check back frequently for updates to available resources.



View a public service announcement (PSA) about the end of the eviction moratorium in English or Spanish.


Oregon’s state-wide eviction moratorium ended on June 30, 2021. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) extended the eviction moratorium end date to October 3, but on August 26 the Supreme Court of the United States overturned the extension, ending the eviction moratorium.

We encourage County residents to apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance program. Accessing rent assistance through the Emergency Rental Assistance Program is important for tenants to stay in stable housing. To apply for emergency rent assistance click this link. Once the application is completed, tenants will receive a notice that the application was received. Tenants should share this confirmation with their landlord to be protected from eviction for nonpayment of rent for an additional 90 days if they live in unincorporated Washington County and 60 days if they live in other incorporated areas of the county (i.e. the City of Hillsboro, City of Beaverton, etc.).

To help understand jurisdictional boundaries, County staff will be creating a map to confirm eligibility for the 90-day extension. Check this page regularly to access the mapping feature.

Washington County worked hard to ensure post-moratorium tenant protections are in place. Current protections include:

  • Extends grace period until February 2022 to pay back rent owed from April 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021,
  • Extending protections for 90 days for anyone who has applied for rent assistance who lives in unincorporated Washington County (otherwise remains 60 days).
  • Protects rental and credit records for people that have fallen behind on rent, 
  • Extends timelines for issuance of non-payment and termination notices, 
  • Extends the increased penalty for landlord retaliatory conduct,
  • Prohibits landlords from considering non-payments during the moratorium when evaluating rental applications.

For those who live in Washington County Housing Authority owned properties, the housing authority will work with tenants who accumulate past due rent from August 2021 until the end of 2021 on repayment agreements and with accessing emergency rental assistance options.

Emergency Rental Assistance and Tenant Resources

It is important if you cannot pay your rent that you apply immediately for emergency assistance and talk with your landlord. Tenants in need of assistance who meet the following criteria should apply for Emergency Rental Assistance through Community Action.

An eligible renter household must have at least one individual that meets these criteria:
1) Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a decrease in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19;
2) Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
3) Has a household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)

Maximum income for Washington County eligibility based on persons in the household:
1 resident: $54,150
2 residents: $61,900
3 residents: $69,650
4 residents: $77,350
5 residents: $83,550
6 residents: $89,750
7 residents: $95,950
8 residents: $102,150    

Community Action is working with the Oregon Law Center, a non-profit that provides free legal help to people struggling to make ends meet. Staff from both organizations will monitor eviction court dockets and intervene with financial and legal assistance as needed. Community Action has also been working with the Community Alliance of Tenants, a tenant-rights organization, to educate tenants on their options.

Community Action Emergency Rental Assistance Program Page

Community Action Application Link (via Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance Program site)

Community Action Application Phone Number: 503-615-0770 (call Mondays beginning at 9:00 a.m.)

Oregon Law Center Home Page

Community Alliance of Tenants Home Page

Fair Housing Council of Oregon (for issues related to discrimination)


Oregon Homeowners Stabilization Initiative (OHSI) has the COVID-19 Mortgage Relief program funded through the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Hardest Hit Fund.  It provides financial relief to help homeowners catch up on mortgage payments and stay secure in their homes.   If you qualify, these funds are available at no cost to you as long as you don’t sell your home or refinance it for cash for at least five years.

  • Find out how to apply here.  OHSI is handling a high volume of phone calls now, and at times may be temporarily unable to accept customer service calls. Please email any questions you have to, and OHSI will make every effort to respond to your inquiry within 24 hours.
  • If you are a homeowner needing Foreclosure Counseling, you can get that help in Washington County through Open Door HousingWorks and to find the statewide list of List of HUD Approved mortgage foreclosure counseling agencies (statewide) click here.