COVID-19 Updates & Programs

We will be using this page during the COVID-19 crisis to issue information for our housing clients, and other Housing services. Please check back frequently for updates to available resources.


The Oregon Legislature passed an extension to Governor Kate Brown’s statewide eviction moratorium issued in 2020. The law,  House Bill 4401requires landlords to inform tenants of their right to submit a declaration of financial hardship and prohibits eviction of these tenants for nonpayment of rent until June 30, 2021. Tenants who provide declarations of hardship must pay past due rent by July 1, 2021. The new law does not apply to the termination of residential rental agreements for causes other than nonpayment, including major repair or demolition work to be done on the property, landlords choosing to move themselves or family members into the residence, substantial damage caused by the tenant and others.

As the statewide eviction moratorium is scheduled to end on June 30, 2021, Washington County households with past due rent are encouraged to apply for the U.S. Treasury Emergency Rental Assistance program as soon as possible. This program enables eligible households to apply directly for assistance to pay rent, utilities, and other housing-related expenses through Community Action.

Renters should also be aware of the Landlord Compensation Fund as a potential option to have their rent arrears forgiven. Under this program, landlords apply for rent arrear compensation after providing their tenants with written notice about the application and obtaining signed tenant Declaration of Financial Hardship forms.

If you are a renter and need to know more about resources available to help you:

  • Community Alliance of Tenants (CAT) – Provides assistance with landlord/tenant issues. CAT has put together an explanation of House Bill 4401 here and the steps a renter needs to take .  The CAT Renters’ Rights Hotline is 503-288-0130.
  • Oregon Law Center – Provides legal assistance with a variety of issues including housing and has an explanation of House Bill 4401 here and the steps a renter needs to take, including the form you need to fill out to present to your landlord.
  • Here is a video created by the Oregon Law Center about housing protections for tenants in Oregon during COVID 19 (English Version) (Versión en español) Contact the Hillsboro office at 503-640-4115 or 1-877-296-4076.
  • 2-1-1 Info – Rent assistance may be available by visiting or by calling 2-1-1.


In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Oregon Legislature enacted an eviction moratorium and established the Landlord Compensation Fund (House Bill 4401). The Legislature allocated $200 million in rent assistance to support tenants and landlords, which includes $150 million for the Landlord Compensation Fund.

Through the Landlord Compensation Fund program, landlords of residential properties will be paid 80% of the tenant rent arrears and will forgive the remaining 20%. Rent arrears going as far back as April 2020 are eligible to be compensated. Before applying, landlords must first provide tenants with written notice about the application and obtain a signed Declaration of Hardship Form from all tenants to be included in the fund reimbursement.

Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) launched the Landlord Compensation Fund in February, and the first round of funding applications ended on March 5, 2021. The second round of funding applications will begin in April 2021.

If you are a landlord, you can sign up for the "
Landlord Compensation Fund Updatese-mail list to receive updates on this program.


Oregon Homeowners Stabilization Initiative (OHSI) has the COVID-19 Mortgage Relief program funded through the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Hardest Hit Fund.  It provides financial relief to help homeowners catch up on mortgage payments and stay secure in their homes.   If you qualify, these funds are available at no cost to you as long as you don’t sell your home or refinance it for cash for at least five years.

  • Find out how to apply here.  OHSI is handling a high volume of phone calls now, and at times may be temporarily unable to accept customer service calls. Please email any questions you have to, and OHSI will make every effort to respond to your inquiry within 24 hours.
  • If you are a homeowner needing Foreclosure Counseling, you can get that help in Washington County through Open Door HousingWorks and to find the statewide list of List of HUD Approved mortgage foreclosure counseling agencies (statewide) click here.