VASH-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing

VASH: A new housing program for homeless veterans and their families

American Flag


The Department of Housing Services wants to help homeless US Military Veterans obtain, and retain, permanent housing.  To help us meet this goal, we now offer rental assistance through a unique new program called VASH.

What is the VASH Program?

The HUD Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (VASH) provides rental assistance vouchers specifically targeted to homeless veterans. Public housing authorities work closely with Veteran Affairs Medical Centers to manage the program. In addition to the rental assistance, VA Medical Centers provide supportive services and case management to eligible homeless veterans.

The Washington County Department of Housing Services has 167 VASH vouchers to serve homeless veteran households.  If you are a homeless veteran, we encourage you to consider enrolling in this program.

Social Service Providers may download the VASH Flyer to give to clients.


Who is eligible?

The household must be homeless and include at least one US Military Veteran.  Single persons, couples, and families with children are all eligible to apply.


Other eligibility criteria:

Income: Total household income must not be more than 50% of the Area Median Income (also called "Very Low Income").  Currently this limit is $30,800 for a 1-person household, $43,950 for a 4-person household.  A complete listing of the Very Low Income limits can be found under the heading "HUD Program Income Limits" on HUD's website.

Homeless: The household must lack a fixed, regular, night time residence, or be residing in emergency shelter, or be residing in a place not meant for habitation (such as a car, tent, abandoned building, or substandard housing that does not provide adequate shelter). Homelessness must be verified by a third party, such as a social service agency, Veterans Services Officer, or other knowledgeable professional.

Engagement with Services: The Veteran must be willing to engage in services from the Department of Veterans Affairs, either through the VA Hospital in Portland or the Community-Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Hillsboro.

Criminal background check: Sex offenders subject to lifetime registration are not eligible for this program.  There are no other criminal background criteria for the VASH program.


To apply for the HUD-VASH program:

Go the Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC).  Please bring a copy of your DD 214 (preferable) or other ID. If you need to obtain a copy of your DD 214, it may be requested online from eVetRecs.

The CRRC is located at 308 SW 1st Avenue, Portland, OR 97204, and can be reached at 503-808-1256 or 1-800-949-1004 extension 51256. The CRRC is open for walk-ins weekdays from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm (10:00 am - 3:00 pm on Thursdays).

The VA determines initial eligibility for the VASH program. If it appears you are eligible, you will be referred to the Department of Housing Services for further screening.

The VASH Flyer lists these steps.


Other Resources:

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) and Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW)

The Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, provides seamless transition for Service members, expands education and training opportunities for Veterans, and provides tax credits for employers who hire Veterans with service-connected disabilities.

VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who are at least 35 years old but no older than 60.  VRAP will provide training for programs of education that lead to a high demand occupation, as determined by the Department of Labor.


Public Transportation

Find a Tri-Met route to the CBOC, VA Hospital, or any other destination using the Tri-Met Trip Planner.


Department of Aging and Veterans Services (DAVS)

The mission of Veterans Services is to ensure that Washington County Veterans and their families receive all entitlements provided by Federal and State law.  A Veterans Service Coordinator is the advocate for Veterans, their families, and survivors, and we strive to achieve the highest quality service possible, free of charge.

For more information, please visit DAVS online or call (503) 846-3060.


Veterans Services Officers

The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA) continues to build better lives for veterans and their families. From filing claims for health or education benefits to helping veterans obtain earned medals and military awards, ODVA is there with you every step of the way. The wide array of programs and services are provided by a grateful nation and state. 

Locate a Veterans Services Officer near you.


US Department of Veterans Affairs

The vision of the US Department of Veterans Affairs is to provide veterans the world-class benefits and services they have earned - and to do so by adhering to the highest standards of compassion, commitment, excellence, professionalism, integrity, accountability, and stewardship.

Visit the VA online or find VA services near you.


Homeless to Work

In 2009, Washington County implemented a new Homeless To Work Program that provides transitional housing serving homeless unaccompanied individuals over age 18 years.  The program offers short-term housing and employment mentorship with linkage to appropriate supportive services provided by community partners.  The Homeless To Work Program is managed by Bridges To Change and administered by the Washington County Department of Housing Services.

For more information, e-mail Gary Calvert or call (503) 846-4784.


Open Door Counseling Center

Open Door offers a warm and supportive environment for homeless individuals to come and receive encouragement and assistance in attaining their goals. The ultimate objective of our Homeless Program is to return individuals to an environment of stable employment and secure housing.

For more information, visit Open Door Counseling Center online, or contact Open Door at 34420 SW Tualatin Valley Highway, Hillsboro, OR 97123 or call (503) 640-6689.


Oregon Food Bank

Oregon Food Bank distributes food to agencies that feed people who are hungry throughout Oregon and Clark County, Wash. The mission of the Oregon Food Bank is to eliminate hunger and its root causes because no one should be hungry.

To locate a hunger relief center near you, visit the Oregon Food Bank online.


Additional Resources

Additional resources not listed here can be found at 211Info online, or by dialing 2-1-1 (or 503-222-5555 from some cell phones).


FHEO gif .75 inches


Equal Housing Opportunity