Moving to Work (MTW)
Housing Authority of Washington County Moving to Work Information Page
The Housing Authority of Washington County (HAWC) was selected for Moving to Work (MTW) status with HUD in May 2021. The MTW demonstration program provides the Housing Authority of Washington County with a unique opportunity to design and test innovative, locally designed housing and self-sufficiency strategies for low-income families. MTW agencies have greater flexibility to administer their public housing and Housing Choice Voucher programs with policies that can address local needs and allow the public housing authority to utilize restricted funds in creative ways.
The MTW program offers the HAWC the opportunity for flexibility and innovation as we explore changes that help us to better serve our community. All proposed changes or MTW activities will include a public meeting and community engagement process, ensuring stakeholders the chance to better understand the program, ask questions and provide feedback. Information about upcoming public meetings will be added to this page in the future.
What are some flexibilities that are available to MTW agencies?
- Using the MTW funds to leverage funds
- Streamlining HUD processes
- Simplification of rent calculations
- Linking rental assistance with supportive services
- Earned income exclusions
- Self Sufficiency / employment requirements
- Developing mixed-income tax credit properties and other affordable housing
- Developing sponsor-based voucher program to assist homeless and other at-risk groups
- Encouraging moves to higher opportunity areas
For more information on MTW please visit HUD's website at www.hud.gov/mtw.