FAQ - Juvenile Services

Child Support

Do you mediate child support or property issues?

No. We only mediate custody and parenting time plans

If you can not help me with child support, who can?

Division of Child Support (link below)

See also:


What are the steps for emancipation of juveniles?

1. The youth must be at least 16 years old and their parents or guardians must reside in this county.
2. The youth must complete an application for emancipation and pay an application fee to the State of Oregon clerk.
3. The youth must give the notarized application and receipt for the payment of the fee to the Juvenile Department clerk.
4. The clerk will set a date for a preliminary court hearing, usually within 10 days. A notice will be sent to the youth and parents.
5. At the preliminary hearing, a Judge will explain emancipation, answer questions, and set a final hearing.
6. At the final hearing, a Judge will expect the youth to provide a written budget, give testimony concerning the application, provide the parents an opportunity to testify, and make a final decision.
7. If the Court grants the emancipation, a driver’s identification card must be received within 48 hours.

What is emancipation?

Emancipation means that a 16 or 17 year old person can be given certain rights and responsibilities of an adult or 18 year old person. This decision must be made by a judge.


What are some signs that my child may be involved in a gang?

Change in life long friends
Change in style of clothing
Negative contact with people or authority
Being secretive from family and friends
Lack of interest in family/sports/community activities
Fear of going to school or lack of interest in getting an education
Drug or alcohol use
Poor school performance

What if my child is the victim of gang intimidation?

Notify your local law enforcement agency or the Washington County Sherriff’s Office Interagency Gang Enforcement Team, or the Washington County Juvenile Department.

Important Numbers:

Non-emergency Line: 503-629-0111

Interagency Gang Enforcement Team: 503-846-2700

Washington County Juvenile Department: 503-846-8861

What should I do if I think my child is in a gang or about to join a gang?

Notify your local law enforcement agency or the Washington County Sherriff’s Office Interagency Gang Enforcement Team, or the Washington County Juvenile Department.

Important Numbers:

Non-emergency Line: 503-629-0111

Interagency Gang Enforcement Team: 503-846-2700

Washington County Juvenile Department: 503-846-8861

Why do kids join a gang?

Identity or recognition- Being part of a gang allows members to achieve a level of status they feel they cannot achieve outside the gang’s culture.
Protection- Kids join the gang because they live in a gang area and are subject to violence by rival gangs. Kids join in an attempt to obtain safety from this violence.
Fellowship and Brotherhood-The gang functions as an extension of, or substitute for the family and may provide companionship lacking in the home environment.
Intimidation- Some members may be forced into joining by peer groups. Intimidation techniques range from extorting lunch money to physical assault.

General Information

If my child doesn’t want to go to school, what I can I do?

After you have contacted the school to get assistance, you may then call and speak with an assessment counselor who may be able to give you recommendations or refer you to other resources.

You can find more information on the Truancy Court page.

See also:

My son/daughter was arrested and referred for the first time to the Juvenile Department, what happens next?

In most circumstances, you will receive a letter scheduling you and your son/daughter for an appointment with an assessment counselor. The assessment counselor will gather information and make a determination of whether or not the case can be resolved informally or if it requires Court action.

What criteria must be met to detain a juvenile?

1. A youth may be detained before adjudication, if one or more of the following conditions exist:
A. Fugitive - the youth is a fugitive from another jurisdiction, and/or an out of state runaway.
B. Serious crimes - The youth is alleged to have committed a crime involving:
1) Physical injury to another person
2) Disorderly conduct in the first degree
3) A felony
C. Failure to appear - The youth previously failed to appear, despite proper summons, citation, or subpoena.
D. Probation violation - The youth is on probation for a criminal offense and is alleged to have violated a condition of probation.
E. Conditional release - The youth is on conditional release for a criminal offense and has violated a condition.
F. Firearm/Destructive Device - The youth is alleged to be in possession of a fire arm (ORS 166.250). When probable cause exists that a youth was in possession of a firearm or destructive device (ORS 419c.100) while in or on a public building or court facility within the last 120 days, the youth must be detained for a hearing in front of the court.
G. Protection of the victim - The youth is required to be held in detention for the reasonable protection of the victim.


2. (a) No less restrictive means can reasonably ensure appearance,


(b) Youth's behavior endangers self, others, or the community.

What is a Citizen Participation Organization?

It is a Citizen Participation Organization - a place where you can discuss issues in a comfortable forum; meet neighbors who are interested in the community; get unbiased information; and find neighbors who will listen to your concerns and work with you to find solutions. All residents and business owners in Washington County cities and unincorporated areas are welcome and encouraged to participate.

See also:

What is the job of the Juvenile Counselor?

The responsibilities of the Juvenile Counselor are to supervise the youth, make sure that the conditions of probation are met, and provide services to reduce the chances that the youth will commit another offense. Since strong families, good school performance, and constructive activities with positive friends provide the best chances of avoiding criminal behavior, Juvenile Counselors work to build success in these areas.

What projects have received funding through the County's Community Development Block Grant Program?

Quite a number of jurisdictions have received the grant. View the resource below for the full list.

See also:

What time is curfew for youth in Washington County?

Please see the Washington County curfew calendar.

See also:

What trainings does the Juvenile Department offer?

Please check our "Presentations" and "Trainings" pages for a list of upcoming trainings.

See also:


What is graffiti?

It is one possible indication of gang activity in your area. Through graffiti, gangs are giving notice of their presence and activity. Graffiti is how gangs communicate and tell others that the area is visited by a particular gang.

What should I do if I see graffiti?

Notify your local law enforcement agency so that they can take a report and photograph the graffiti. This enables law enforcement to monitor gang graffiti.


Can you train me to be a mediator?

No, we do not do mediation training. You might try contacting Oregon Mediation Association or Clackamas County Resolution Services (links below)

See also:

Do you provide voluntary mediation?

Voluntary and mandated mediation is provided to help parents resolve custody and parenting time disputes. This service is provided to Washington County residences with minor children experiencing challenges in developing or implementing their custody and parenting time arrangements.

Does Washington County require parenting programs for parents?

Yes. If you or the other party has filed an annulment, dissolution of marriage, legal separation, petitions to establish or modify custody or parenting time or a Filiation proceeding, AND if you have a child under the age of eighteen (18) you shall attend the family law education program. All parties are required to complete the Family Law Education Program offered by the court-designated providers or a pre-approved alternate education program. Parties shall register for the program or make application to the court for approval of a comparable alternate program within 15 days of receiving notice of this education requirement. Washington County is now using the Kid's Turn education program which also includes the children, and they may be contacted for registration, or site information by calling (503) 846-0665. Kids Turn program is administered by Youth Contact (see link below)

See also:

How can I get my spouse to come in?

If parents are in dispute over custody and parenting time, services are usually more effective when parties involved with an active domestic relations case are mandated to participate in mediation orientation and mediation.

Is there a fee for the service?

Local and Statewide fees are collected and distributed through the State; therefore, the following services are provided for FREE:

*Orientation and up to two mediation services
*Co-parent, couples or marital counseling - up to four sessions

There is a fee for additional services.

My spouse and I have a restraining order. Do we still have to mediate? Can we still mediate?

Mediation is an order of the court and restraining orders are also orders of the court. Both must be obeyed. The fact that there is a restraining order does not mean that you will be unable to reach some agreement. Conciliation Services has protocols in place to ensure safety. Please call conciliation services with any concerns or questions regarding safety protocols.

What happens if we are ordered into mediation?

Mediation requires but is not limited to an orientation session and one session with the mediator. Orientation takes place in a class like fashion in a small conference room. It is facilitated by one of our staff mediators and includes:
  • 1. A power-point presentation
  • 2. A Judge's presentation
  • 3. An overview of mediation
  • 4. A summary of expectations and parameters
  • 5. An opportunity to ask questions
  • 6. Scheduling mediation appointments

A limited number of mediation appointments are available at approximately 10:00-12:00pm after the conclusion of orientation on Monday mornings.

There are no mediation sessions after orientation on Thursdays.

What if the other parent will not agree to come in?

Services are usually more effective when parties with an active domestic relations case are Court mandated to participate in mediation orientation and mediation. Parents may also seek a court order for both parties to attend co-parent counseling or our New Ways for Families high conflict class. Fees may apply.

What is Conciliation Services? What do you do?

Conciliation Services began in 1975 to assist people considering the dissolution of their marriage and provide custody studies to the Court. In 1984 the legislature authorized the Court to provide mediation services to assist couples in reaching agreement about custody and parenting time before a court hearing. The goal is to empower parents to make decisions regarding custody and parenting time based on the best interest of the child. In addition, successful resolution by parents will save them both time and money.

What is co-parent counseling?

Co-parent counseling is not mediation. It is an opportunity for parents to address issues that are often not addressed in their custody and parenting plan agreement. Examples of the topics parents bring to co-parent counseling are:
  • Communication
  • Parenting Style
  • Specific challenging topics that need to be addressed outside of court
  • Changes or concerns that have arisen since their mediation agreement was finalized.

  • If parents have or had an open court case they may access their mediation agreement was finzalized

What is mediation?

Mediation is a cooperative problem-solving process in which a neutral professional assists the parties to define the issues in the dispute; and to make agreements that are in the best interest of the children. The disputing individuals meet together with a mediator who is trained to help parties solve problems in a cooperative manner. The mediator does not take sides or make decisions for the parents but helps them to communicate and to explore alternative solutions. The mediator may offer suggestions and help parents develop options to resolve the issues, but the final agreement is up to the parties.

What is the difference between Mediation Orientation and Mediation?

Mediation orientation is an informational session that is required before you mediate. It is held in a conference room in a class like fashion. You are required to register for a particular orientation presentation date and complete paperwork.

Mediation occurs in the mediator's office at conciliation services and is attended by you and your co-parent. Many of the questions regarding mediation are answered during the mediation orientation.

Parents are more prepared to use their mediation time effectively after that have acquired relevant information at orientation.

Probation and Parole

How long does probation last?

Probation is usually imposed by a judge without a definite time for it to end -- the reason for this is to place responsibility on the youth. Six months to two years is a common period of probation. The length of time depends on the nature of the offense, the need for supervision, and the youth’s progress in complying with conditions and meeting goals.

What are typical conditions of probation?

The goals are to prevent new offenses; restore victims and the community; and build success of youth in their family, school, and circle of friends. The conditions of probation are designed to help achieve those goals and often include:

*Avoiding further violations of the law
*Avoiding alcohol and drugs
*Restitution to victims
*Community service work
*Attending school and performing well
*Reporting regularly to the probation counselor
*Learning new skills that make future crime less likely


Can I access the police report?

No. The Juvenile Department is not allowed to give out the police report under any circumstances. You may want to call the referring police agency for information regarding obtaining the report.

Is the military able to access my records?

The Juvenile Department releases information on juveniles to the United States military in accord with Oregon law. The following may be released on juveniles supervised under a Formal Accountability Agreement or adjudicated delinquent by the Court:

Offenses that are the basis of jurisdiction;
Dispositions such as formal accountability agreement, probation,
Commitment to the Oregon Youth Authority;
Dates of dispositions and of dismissal.

What does the law say about juvenile records?

The clerk of Court keeps records of all proceedings in Juvenile Court. Inspection of those records is limited by law to certain parties. Records relating to the youth's history and prognosis are confidential unless released with the youth's or parent’s permission or allowed by the judge.

What is expunction?

Expunction is the formal Court process for the destruction of a juvenile's records.

What is the law on how juveniles can have their records destroyed?

Juveniles who have records with the Juvenile Department may apply for expunction of their records by completing an Application for Expunction. The following conditions must be met:

(1) At least five years have passed since the date of the termination (dismissal) of your most recent juvenile court case; and since the date of your most recent termination, you have not been convicted of a felony or a Class A misdemeanor; and no proceedings seeking a criminal conviction or an adjudication in a juvenile court are pending against you; and you are not within the jurisdiction of the court for any delinquent act or certain types of dependency petitions; and the Juvenile Department is not aware of any pending investigation of you by any law enforcement agency;


(2) The person is at least 18 years old and has never been found within the jurisdiction of the Court;


(3) If neither of the above conditions have been met, the Juvenile Court has authority to have a record expunged, if it finds it to be in the best interest of the person and the public.

Oregon law provides for certain records to be destroyed. See Oregon Revised Statute Chapter 419A for the complete statute that governs expunction of a juvenile record. You may obtain an application for expunction from the Juvenile Department (222 N. First Ave. Hillsboro, OR 97124)

Victims' Services

How can I find out about a case I am involved in?

Contact the Victim Services Program at (503) 846-3784. To assist the advocate in finding information about your case it is helpful to know the following: offender’s name; police agency and/or police report number; type of offense and the date it occurred. You will be given an update on your case (if it has arrived at the Juvenile Department) and hearing notification (if one has been scheduled). You may also request information about counseling or other victim support services. In most circumstances, you should be able to know the general plan for your case within two to four weeks after it is received by the Juvenile Department. The Juvenile Court process is not secret. It is open to the public, and the involvement and participation of victims is especially encouraged.

How can I request that my address not be given to the offender?

Victims' addresses and phone numbers are witheld from the youth offender automatically.

How do I get my property returned if it has been recovered by the police?

Recovered property may be needed as evidence if the case goes to trial. For this reason, the police will not ordinarily release your property back to you until the District Attorney's Office (Juvenile Division) advises them in writing that it is no longer needed. Sometimes it is possible to photograph urgently needed property and then release it before trial - contact the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the Juvenile Department at (503) 846-8861.

What if I am harassed by the juvenile offender while my case is pending?

Call the police and report the harassment. Then call the Juvenile Department and report it to the counselor handling your case or to Victim Services at (503) 846-3784.

What if the juvenile offender's attorney or investigator wants to talk to me?

The juvenile's legal representative is permitted to talk with you if you agree. You may refuse to speak to an attorney or private investigator for the alleged youth offender. If you decide that you would like to speak with the juvenile’s attorney or private investigator, you may request to have a Deputy District Attorney present.