Agricultural Buildings

Interested in adding an agricultural building or an equine facility on your farm property?  Have questions about what steps you need to take? 

The Agricultural Placement Permit handout below explains the types of uses that the building may be approved for and the applications and information needed to start and complete the process. 

The Agricultural Placement Permit Packet

Please call Current Planning at 503-846-8761 to make sure your property is zoned for an agricultural building and to check for flood plain issues and setback requirements.

You will need the following information in order to submit

  • The Agricultural Placement Permit Packet signed by the property owner
  • Three (3) site plans showing the structure location and setbacks from the property lines
  • A letter of authorization from Health and Human Services approving the location of the structure if your property is on septic. If your property is connected to a sewer a Sensitive Area/Provider letter from Clean Water Services is required for submittal. If the building does not have plumbing, Clean Water Services must still grant their approval. NOTE: Approval requests may take 5-10 days.
  • Three (3) sets of drawings showing all four exterior elevations of the building and a floor plan layout with the building dimensions (click here for example)

Further questions remaining after reading the handout, can be directed to 503-846-8761, by email or visit our Hillsboro office:

Washington County
Department of Land Use & Transportation
155 N. 1st Avenue, Suite 350
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

Our lobby is open to the public between 8:00 and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Staff is available by phone Monday through Friday 8:00 - 5:00 PM at (503) 846-8761. For additional information about hours of operation, please consult the Land Use & Transportation office location and business hours webpage.