Code Compliance

Our Community Development Code (CDC) and Building Code exist to protect the health, safety and well-being of those who live and work in unincorporated Washington County. 

Codes regulate development and some uses of private property, including home businesses, vehicle storage, recreational vehicle storage and more including:


Current Planning/Code Compliance is experiencing staffing shortfalls.

Services, including returning phone calls and emails,
may take longer than usual. 

Email and phone responses are generally provided within 3-5 business days. 

Your patience is appreciated.

Division Manager: Andy Back  |  Principal Planner: Stephen Shane


violation banner

Property owners who violate codes may face hearings before a hearings officer, monetary penalties and/or property liens. We respond to potential code violations based on priorities:

  • Priority 1 violations - Impact environmental/natural resources, pose significant health and/or safety issues or involve structures under construction that don’t meet code standards.
  • Priority 2 violations - Disturb community livability or pose a lower health/safety risk. 
  • Priority 3 violations - Do not involve safety issues. 
  • Priority 4 violations - Do not pose harm; no life/safety issues. 

See List of violations and priorities

complaint banner

Submit complaints through the Public Permitting and Services Portal or via the Code violation form.  Pictures are helpful.

To submit complaints anonymously, complete the Code violation form but DO NOT include your name and address. We do not investigate complaints unless a form is submitted.

The public permit 2

In addition to submitting a complaint through the Public Permitting and Services Portal, completed Code violation forms can be submitted by:

  • Email the completed form
  • Fax the completed form to 503-846-2908
  • Mail/in person:

Washington County Land Use & Transportation 
Planning and Development Services - Code Compliance
155 N. First Ave., Ste. 350, MS 13
Hillsboro, OR 97124