The County’s Community Development Code (CDC) and County Building Code exist to protect the health, safety and well-being of those who live and work in unincorporated Washington County. Staff ensures developments meet code requirements.
County codes regulate the development and some uses of private property including home businesses, vehicle storage, recreational vehicle storage and use and development in a flood plain. The code also regulates the following issues:
- Livability (tall grass, weeds, rodents, etc.)
- Noise issues (Health and Human Services)
- Exotic animals (Health and Human Services)
The County does not prohibit roosters or male peacocks in the urban unincorporated area.
Property owners who violate codes may face hearings before a hearings officer, monetary penalties and/or property liens. Staff responds to potential code violations based on the following priorities:
- Priority 1 violations - activities that impact environmental/natural resources, pose significant health and/or safety issues or involve structures under construction that don’t meet code standards.
- Priority 2 violations - activities that disturb the livability of a community or pose a lower health and/or safety risk.
- Priority 3 violations - usually do not involve safety issues.
- Priority 4 violations - there is no irreparable harm of life safety issues involved.
See List of violations and priorities
Complaints can be submitted through the Public Permiting and Services Portal or via the Code violation form.
Pictures submitted as part of the complaint are very useful.
Complaints can be submitted anonymously. To submit a complaint anonymusly, please complete the Code violation form but DO NOT include your name and address. Complaints will not be investigated until a form is submitted.
Submit formal complaints via:
- Public Permitting and Services Portal
- Email PDSCodeCompliance@co.washington.or.us
- Fax 503-846-2908
- Mail/in person:
Washington County Department of Land Use & Transportation
Planning and Development Services - Code Compliance
155 N. First Ave., Ste. 350, MS 13
Hillsboro, OR 97124
Walk-in Customer Lobby Hours:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Thursday
Customer Assistance by Phone:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday