Marijuana Land Use Regulations

On August 7, 2018, the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) adopted Ordinance No. 833, A general housekeeping ordinance, which added language to the Community Development Code (CDC) regarding marijuana processing. The regulations became effective September 6, 2018. This included adding a definition of alternating proprietor as well as allowing marijuana processors to share facilities in limited circumstances as regulated by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.


Land Use Application
A land use application must be submitted to the Department of Land Use & Transportation (LUT), Current Planning section prior to establishing a recreational marijuana production (grow) facility, processing facility or retail outlet to sell recreational marijuana commercially. Land use review is also required prior to the onset of new testing/lab facilities for commercial recreational marijuana and for certain wholesale marijuana businesses. An approved land use decision is required prior to applying for a Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS) from the State. For rural production sites, a unique application packet is available, please see below:



Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS)

People interested in establishing a commercial business to grow, process or test recreational marijuana, or who are interested in operating a wholesale or retail recreational marijuana business must submit a completed Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS) form to the LUT Current Planning section prior to initiating the start of business. County staff will either approve or reject the LUCS within 21 days from the date of submittal. The signed LUCS confirms to applicants and the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) that a proposed marijuana-related commercial activity is compatible with County zoning, as required under state law. 


Once a land use application is approved, the applicant should then submit the LUCS and all associated documentation for County review. The LUCS form will indicate any additional steps the applicant needs to complete to comply with County development and building codes.


Medical marijuana dispensary owners wishing to convert their facility to a retail recreational marijuana facility are required to submit a land use application and obtain an approved LUCS from the County prior to initiating business operations.


Retail marijuana facilities

On Oct. 27, 2015, the Board adopted A-Engrossed Ordinance No. 804, which amended CDC regulations specific to medical marijuana dispensaries and created new regulations applicable to retail recreational marijuana facilities. The ordinance regulates medical and retail operations identically and allows both types in the same land use districts. Buffer requirements and minor text updates were also included.  Development standards that regulate retail marijuana facilities are found in Community Development Code Section 430-80.  

Interactive Map showing restricted areas and allowable Land Use Districts for Retail Marijuana Facilities:

Marijuana Map 


Personal Use

In accordance with state law, a land use compatibility statement and land use permit are not required in Washington County for personal use of up to four marijuana plants and/or the possession of up to eight ounces of marijuana by persons 21 years of age or older.  Additional information is available from the Oregon OLCC.



August 2018 - Ordinance 833 is adopted, adding language to the CDC regarding marijuana processing.

October 2016 - B-Engrossed Ordinance 810 is adopted, establishing land use regulations for commercial recreational marijuana uses in Washington County.Effective Nov. 25, 2016.

September 2016 - Temporary rules for Recreational Marijuana become effective as permanent. Regulations are found in Oregon Administrative Rule 845, Division 25.

October 2015 - The OLCC released temporary rules to regulate the recreational marijuana industry. These rules are expected to remain in effect from Jan. 1 to June 28, 2016.  The Washington County Board of County Commissioners adopts A-Engrossed Ordinance No. 804.

June 30, 2015 - The Oregon Legislature passed House Bill 3400, which provided guidance to the OLCC in formulating state rules that address the requirements of the ballot measure.

November 2014 - Oregon voters approved Statewide Ballot Measure 91, which allows personal use and possession of recreational marijuana subject to Oregon law. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) is tasked with developing and implementing state regulations for recreational marijuana.

October 28, 2014 - Board adopted A-Engrossed Ordinance No. 792, which became effective on November 28, 2014. It adopted county regulations for medical marijuana dispensaries and ended the temporary moratorium imposed by Ordinance No. 781.

April 22, 2014 - Washington County Board of Commissioners adopted Ordinance No. 781 implementing a temporary moratorium on medical marijuana dispensary facilities until local regulations could be adopted.

March 19, 2014 - Oregon Senate Bill 1531 became effective. It authorized local jurisdictions to adopt reasonable regulations on medical marijuana dispensaries, and included provisions allowing local jurisdictions to adopt a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries through May 1, 2015.  


For information on land use requirements for development of a marijuana facility, contact the LUT Current Planning section at 503-846-8761.