Motor Carrier Trip Permits

The State of Oregon sets statutory restrictions on vehicle size, weight and other characteristics allowed on roads. We can allow exceptions to these restrictions for roads within our jurisdiction. Typically, a permit is required any time a vehicle exceeds 8 feet, 6 inches in width and/or 14 feet in height. Length limits vary between 40 feet and 95 feet, depending on the configuration and type of vehicle. Weight limits are also variable and depend on the number of axles and the spacing of those axles.

Single Trip Variance Permit

This permit allows motor carriers to operate above legal size and/or weight limits for one trip on a predetermined route in a 10-day period. Special requests can be made to allow permits to be active for up to 30 days. These permits are issued by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT). For trips over our roads, we receive the permit request from the state and then we will add necessary conditions to the permit. The state gathers information from various jurisdictions into one permit, so the motor carrier does not have to contact several road authorities to obtain approvals. Even if the route uses only county roads, the state is still the issuer of the permit.

Visit ODOT's Motor Carrier Transportation site for additional information and to obtain a Single Trip Variance Permit Application.

Continuous Operation Variance Permit (COVP)

This permit allows motor carriers to operate continuously above legal size and/or weight limits for one year, but below thresholds set by the state and various county jurisdictions. The maximum size and weight limitations not only vary by jurisdiction, but also vary by truck configuration and commodity. These permits do not authorize trips on roads with posted restrictions greater than that authorized by the permit. 

Visit ODOT's Motor Carrier Transportation site for information and to obtain a Continuous Operation Variance Permit Application.

Structure Permits and Super Loads

This permit is a special type of single trip variance permit for loads wider than 14 feet, higher than 17 feet or longer than 150 feet.

If a route request contains both state and county jurisdiction roadways, then the permit will be issued by ODOT. However, if the load is staying on county or city roadways, the applicant must apply directly to the county and/or city.

Motor carriers must submit a description of the route and any potential conflicts with the move and how the conflicts will be addressed. We will either approve the route or require changes. Motor carriers must also submit a Temporary Road Closure Permit Application, a Traffic Signal Shutdown Permit Application or a right-of-way permit application depending on the traffic control requirements to safely move the load. A complete list of impacted utilities must be submitted before permit approval. The motor carrier is responsible for coordinating the temporary relocation of all utilities. All costs to prepare submittals and relocate utilities will be borne by the motor carrier.

To obtain a Structure Permit or a Super Load Permit, please contact us at 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) or email us.

Special Permit to Use Restricted County Roads

This permit allows motor carriers to operate above restrictions we have set and is primarily issued for trips on weight- or length-restricted roads.

To obtain a Special Permit to Use Restricted County Roads, please contact us at 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) or email us. There is no fee for this permit.

Motor Carrier Reference Map

The restrictions on our Motor Carrier Reference Map are more stringent than statutorily legal loads. Use this map to plan your route and avoid the restrictions. A special permit may be issued for length and weight-limited roadways. Permits are not generally issued for weight-restricted bridges. Unless explicitly stated, no permit will allow the crossing of a bridge above its posted weight limit.


The Motor Carrier Enforcement Program is handled through the Washington County Sheriff's Office. In addition to a full-time weighmaster, equipped with inspection tools and jump scales, there are deputies certified for truck enforcement. Concerns about overweight vehicles crossing posted bridges or other potential violations can be reported to 503-846-ROAD (846-7623), and they will be forwarded to the weighmaster.


Related: Washington County R&O 06-22 (PDF)