Using the Right-of-Way

To report a problem in the public road right-of-way, call 503-846-ROAD (846-7623), email us or submit an online service request.

A right-of-way permit is required for:

  • Utilities
  • Sidewalks
  • Driveways and property access
  • Dust control
  • Water and stream measuring devices
  • Bus shelters, benches
  • Temporary road closures
  • Items not prohibited or specifically allowed without permit

A right-of-way agreement is required to:

  • Prevent Washington County from applying herbicide in the right-of-way adjacent to your property - see Roadside Spraying
  • Place storage containers in the right-of-way

The following are specifically allowed without permit provided they do not interfere with the use of the right-of-way or create a sight obstruction or other hazard:

  • Mailboxes, mail drop boxes
  • Trees, shrubs, landscaping - see Roadside Vegetation
  • Basketball hoops on dead end streets and cul-de-sacs
  • Fences, retaining walls
  • Traffic control and other authorized signs placed by the county

The following are prohibited in the right-of-way:

  • Signs not permitted by law or authorized by the county - see Roadside Signs
  • Permanent structures
  • Water wells
  • Septic tanks, drain fields
  • Recreation facilities not allowed elsewhere

Anything placed in the right-of-way, permitted or not, is subject to removal without compensation.

If a written permit is not obtained when required, or if the conditions of a permit are not met, or if a sight obstruction or hazard is created, penalties may be assessed and the county's cost to effect compliance may be recovered from the responsible party.