Neighborhood Bikeway Plan
Imagine a network of safe and enjoyable streets to ride your bicycle on that connects you to other neighborhoods and destinations including schools, parks, transit stops, and businesses. We want to make that dream a reality!
The Neighborhood Bikeway Concept Plan and Treatment Toolkit are available below. Staff are now looking into grant opportunities in order to launch a pilot project.
What is a neighborhood bikeway?
Neighborhood Bikeway goals:
- Shift biking and walking from being recreational only to a viable transportation option to get to most destinations.
- Move us beyond designing bicycle facilities for the ‘spandex crowd’ to making bicycling safe and convenient for all ages and abilities.
- Encourage biking and walking as a means of creating vibrant and healthy communities, regardless of age, gender, ability, ethnicity, or economic background.
Neighborhood Bikeway benefits:
- Improves the experience getting around your neighborhood - inviting residents to choose walking or biking to local destinations instead of driving.
- Offers more pleasant bike routes than busier streets with bike lanes.
- Reduces traffic congestion by enhancing bicycling options for short trips.
- Increases local economic activity and property values.
- Reduces CO2 emissions.
- Increases fitness opportunities to improve public health and well-being.
- Encourages bicycling for a broader range of ages and abilities.