LUT Divisions and Programs
The Department of Land Use & Transportation's mission is twofold:
- Building and maintaining a great transportation system
- Planning and protecting the uses of the land
Working in coordination with our city, regional and state government partners, approximately 300 LUT employees provide a wide range of transportation, planning, permitting and road maintenance services.
Our land use, planning, development review and building permitting/inspection functions are located in the Public Services Building (PSB), 155 N 1st Ave., Ste. 350, in downtown Hillsboro. Our road-related functions are located at the Walnut Street Center (WSC), 1400 SW Walnut St. on Hillsboro's west end. Visit our LUT Office Locations and Hours page for more information.
The Department of Land Use & Transportation is organized into four divisions. Most divisions have multiple workgroups, or sections, which are identified below. To send an electronic message to any of these workgroups, please use the Land Use & Transportation Feedback Form.
The Administrative Services division (PSB) coordinates LUT’s budgeting, payroll, emergency preparednes and employee safety functions. It is the department's liaison with Human Resources and Information Technology Systems.
The Planning and Development Services Division includes three sections:
- Building Services (PSB) provides permitting, plan review and inspections for all phases of construction on commercial and residential properties in unincorporated Washington County and several of its small cities.
- Building Services 503-846-3470
- Current Planning Services (PSB) provides development review and assistance and code compliance.
- Development Review 503-846-8761
- Code Compliance 503-846-4875
- Long Range Planning (PSB) provides countywide land use and transportation planning coordination, economic and demographic information services and community land use planning in the urban unincorporated areas of Washington County.
- Long Range Planning 503-846-3519
- Capital Project Services 503-846-7800
- Right-of-Way 503-846-7870
The Engineering, Traffic and Survey (WSC) provides design and review services for county capital projects, reviews all road improvement construction plans and maintains the county's Uniform Road Improvement Design Standards.
- Traffic Engineering (WSC) investigates complaints regarding traffic problems, monitors traffic accidents and traffic volume information, and maintains traffic signals, signs and pavement markings. This section is also responsible for development reviews with respect to traffic issues and impacts.
- Road and Bridge Engineering Services 503-846-7900
- Traffic Engineering 503-846-7950
- The County Surveyor's Office (WSC/PSB) establishes and maintains public land corners, reviews partition, subdivision and condominium plats, and reviews and files records of survey.
- Survey Development Review/County Surveyor 503-846-8723
- Road Survey 503-846-7933
The Operations & Maintenance division (WSC) manages public rights of way including bridges, culverts, paved and gravel roads, roadside drainage ditches and vegetation. The division provides 24-hour emergency response including weather-related incidents such as sanding, plowing and closing roads due to flooding, landslides and storm-related debris. All work performed by Operations and Maintenance crews is guided by Washington County's Best Management Practices for Routine Road Maintenance to avoid or minimize impacts to the environment.
- Road Operations and Maintenance 503-846-ROAD (846-7623)
- Urban Road Maintenance District 503-846-7623
- Service District for Lighting 503-846-7626
- Adopt-A-Road 503-846-7619
- For information on road projects as well as road closures and restrictions, visit wc-roads.com.