Power Curve Self Defense
Washington County Sheriff's Office invites women, 14 years and older, to participate in a free personal safety course - "Power Curve-Increasing Self Defense Options for Women". This class in an introduction to self-defense techniques and not intended for on-going training.
Some of our very own Defensive Tactics instructors design and teach this hands-on class. Their goal is to empower women with tools to maintain personal safety and to successfully confront and survive potentially dangerous situations. A focus on situational awareness and physical self-defense techniques provide options to reduce the risk of abuse and sexual attack.
Please wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing, and athletic style shoes for ease of practicing the physical techniques you will learn. Please do not wear skirts, sandals, flip flops, crocs, or clog-like shoes. Only bring necessary personal items, we have lockers to secure valuables but space is limited to small items and handbags. Water bottles are permitted and encouraged.
Power Curve is held in the lower level of the “old Washington County Jail” connected to the Washington County Courthouse building, 145 NE 2nd Ave, Hillsboro. Parking is available at the Northwest corner of 1st and Lincoln. Signs will be posted to clearly mark the location of the class.
Power Curve is offered in two different forms; one all day Saturday class or two evening classes. Registration for each class will open 30 days prior to the session date. If you are unable to make a class you are registered for, please contact us ASAP so we may attempt to fill the vacancy.
Power Curve (Limited to 25 participants)
- Saturday, March 2, 2019 –9:00am-4:00pm
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 and Thursday, April 11, 2019 –6:00pm-9:30pm
- Saturday, June 15, 2019 –9:00am-4:00pm
- Saturday, August 17, 2019 –9:00am-4:00pm
Women's Safety Fair* (Limited to 80 participants)
- Saturday, October 12, 2019 –9:00am-4:00pm
- Monday, October 14, 2019 –6:00pm-9:30pm**
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 – 6:00pm-9:30pm**
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019 – 6:00pm-9:30pm**
- Thursday, October 17, 2019 – 6:00pm-9:30pm**
This is a slightly more in-depth two day course including educational presentations, hands-on defensive tactics, provided lunch and vendor fair.
**All participants are expected to attend the Saturday class and one additional weekday class of their choice.
- Minimum of 14 years of age (under 16 must be accompanied by an adult)
- No criminal history of felony or violent misdemeanor crimes
- Registration for the classes will open 30 days prior to the class start date, check back for updates
- Submit requested documents one week prior to class: Waiver and Hold Harmless Agreement and Background Authorization Form (Documents provided via email upon registration)
- Plan to attend entire session- if two day course, please be available and present both days
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Amy Terrones (503) 846-2774 or by email at email@example.com.