Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I get my child immunized?

Your child needs shots for protection against very bad diseases that can cause rashes, fevers, coughing, choking, brain damage, heart problems, crippling, deafness, blindness and even death. Most parents of young children today have never seen a case of the measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, or tetanus. If we don't see these diseases it can be hard to understand why it is important to protect against them. Vaccines are still given for three reasons:

* To prevent common infections
Some diseases are so common in this country that a choice not to vaccinate is a choice to get the disease. For example, choosing not get the chickenpox vaccine is a choice to risk serious and occasionally fatal infection from chickenpox.
* To prevent infections that could easily reemerge
Some diseases in this country continue to occur at very low levels (for example, measles, mumps, rubella, and Hib). If immunization rates in our schools or communities are low, outbreaks of these diseases are likely to occur.
* To prevent infections that are more common in other parts of the world

Although some diseases have been completely eliminated (polio) or virtually eliminated (diphtheria) from this country, they still occur in other parts of the world. Children are commonly paralyzed by polio in India or killed by diphtheria in Russia. Because there is a high rate of international travel into and out of the United States, outbreaks of these diseases are only a plane ride away.

What if I’m behind on my Hepatitis B vaccines?

When the hepatitis B vaccine schedule is interrupted, the vaccine series does not need to be restarted. If the series is interrupted after the first dose, the second dose should be given as soon as possible and the second and third doses should be separated by an interval of at least eight weeks. It is not necessary to restart the vaccine series for infants switched from one vaccine brand to another, including combination vaccines.

How do I prove that my child has had shots?

Make sure that you take your child’s immunization record with you when you enroll your child in school or childcare. You will be given a Certificate of Immunization Status to complete with the date of your child’s shots. Parent and guardians can sign the Certificate of Immunization Status; there is no need to have it signed by your child’s medical provider. However, if you are 15 years of age or older you do not need a parent or guardian to sign the Certificate of Immunization Status; you may sign it yourself.

What should I know about thimerosal and autism?

Thimerosal is organic mercury based preservative used in vaccines. Thimerosal has been an additive to vaccines since the 1930’s because it is very effective in preventing bacterial and fungal contamination. There are no valid studies that show a link between thimerosal in vaccines and autistic spectrum disorder. "Since 2001, all routinely recommended vaccines manufactured for administration to [children] in the U.S. have been either thimerosal-free or have contained only extremely small amounts of thimerosal." -American Academy of Pediatrics

Why is Washington County conducting this study now?

Washington County is updating a Service Incidence Study first conducted in 1984 by the Center for Urban Studies, School of Urban and Public Affairs at Portland State University. The purpose of the 1984 study (and the 2005 update) is to measure whether the County’s expenditures for services are equitably related to the source of its revenues. Information obtained from the study-update will be used much the same way the information from the original study was used: it will be one element among a broad array of information sources used by the Board of County Commissioners in their long-term planning considerations for Washington County.

See also:

What is the period of time the County is examining as part of the Service Incidence Study?

The County’s 2003-2004 fiscal year is the measurement period for the Service Incidence Study. The County’s fiscal year always begins on July 1 and ends on June 30. Although revenue and spending information is available for more recent fiscal years, the 2003-2004 fiscal year provides the first available budget period with "actual" dollar amounts that have been independently audited by an outside accounting firm. In some cases, spending and service delivery information will need to be averaged over a multi-year period so that a more accurate picture of typical spending and service delivery patterns emerges.

How did the 1984 PSU study affect County policy?

The findings of the 1984 study provided significant guidance for the County’s strategic planning process in 1986 which led to the adoption of the County 2000 Strategic Plan by the Washington County Board of Commissioners. This strategic plan has been in place for nearly 20 years and has provided a blueprint for the development and implementation of County polices, programs and operations. The Plan was updated in 1990 and 1993 and these updates substantively reinforced the original document with refinements based on emerging issues and service priorities.

The County then developed, adopted and followed through on remedies for a major portion of the inequities identified by PSU. Specifically, County 2000 set the stage for the development of revenue sources and tax structures for "municipal-type" services for the urban unincorporated area that are paid for by urban unincorporated area tax payers. The Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District (ESPD) and the Urban Road Maintenance District (URMD) are two major examples of this policy approach.

Subsidies in human services were determined to be appropriate given the amount of federal and state grants supporting these services (using income tax revenue as opposed to property tax revenue paid locally) and the accompanying federal and state mandates directing these expenditures to high-population areas. Finally, County 2000 called on the use of fees for services wherever possible, including building permits, sanitation inspection fees, dog licenses and others.

Why aren’t the revenue and service patterns of city governments part of the County’s study?

Although observers may conclude that the County study could include in its effort a similar study of city revenues and expenditures, such a study is beyond the County’s authority and beyond the study’s original scope established with the PSU effort 20 years ago. Further, to maintain cost-effectiveness, a coordinated approach using a mix of contracted and in-house resources is being used. A parallel study of the geographic incidence of city revenues and expenditures would exponentially increase the cost, complexity and scope of this project and compromise County goals and objectives.

Nevertheless, cities may find value in the County’s effort and seek to borrow its methods. Once the County completes its study and refines the technologies needed to accomplish the task, this technology can be shared with any willing city.

What is the timeline and process for the current study?

The study will be approached in two phases. In Phase I, only the County’s major services areas of Public Safety and Justice, Land Use and Transportation and Health and Human Services will be studied. Remaining County programs will be included in Phase II. Once the data collection and analysis for Phase I has been completed, any needed updates or adjustments to the study approach or methodology will be evaluated and implemented before Phase II begins. A final report/findings will be developed at the conclusion of Phase II. A draft of the final report is available now. The County Auditor anticipates the final report will besent to the Board of Commissioners sometime in the spring of 2007.

Will the results of the Services Incident Study affect Washington County policies?

The County Board of Commissioners, working with the County Administrator, will determine how and to what extent the findings of the Service Incidence Study will affect County policies. For example, the findings of the Service Incidence Study could influence the development of the County’s latest Strategic Plan update and could also help with the formulation of "Enabling Plans" underpinning the strategic plan.

This updating process, involving a newly named document called "County 2020," reinforces the principles and tenants of the original document and the County’s current commitment to the type of collaboration and partnerships that will directly influence the long-term health and vibrancy of our community. County 2020 distills the County’s general principles and priorities and is augmented by a number of Enabling Plans that support the Strategic Plan. The development of each Enabling Plan relies on citizen and stakeholder input and collectively reflects the values, goals, objectives, and policies of Washington County government.

My family member died, what do I need to do to remove their name from my property ownership?

If a certified copy of the death certificate is recorded with the Washington County Recorder's office, the Cartography Division will automatically see a copy of it and update the ownership registry as applicable. If you have a certified copy but do not want to record it, please bring it to our office (155 N First Ave, Rm 200, Hillsboro) so it can be scanned into our records, and then reflect the ownership change as applicable.

See also:

I'm now divorced, what do I need to do to remove my spouse from my deed?

If a property was awarded to you in a divorce decree, Cartography will need a copy of the decree if it occurred in another state or county. If the divorce occurred in Washington County Oregon, Cartography will only need a divorce decree number for reference purposes. The divorce document must be "final" and signed by the judge. If the decree required a deed document to be recorded, this document should be recorded with the Washington County Recorders Office, and Cartography will automatically receive a copy and reflect the name change.

See also:

What is a "code split?"

A "code split" is a taxlot that is divided by multiple, yet similar taxing entities, such as cities or service districts. For example, a portion of a taxlot may be in a city, and the remainder may be in unincorporated Washington County. Another example would be a taxlot that has portions in two different school districts. Because the tax rate is different on either side of that boundary, a separate tax statement will be sent to accurately represent each portion.

What is an "And/Or" tax code?

An "And/Or" tax code relates to properties that are in rural fire protection districts. All rural properties with structures, and properties up to 5 acres in size, pay taxes to the Rural Fire Protection District that it is located within. Rural properties without any structures, or with land greater than 5 acres, typically with timber, will be protected by the State of Oregon Forestry - Fire Patrol. Basically the land use and size of the area determines how the tax rate is applied. So a taxlot could be in Rural Fire AND Fire Patrol. Or, the taxlot could be all in Rural Fire OR all in Fire Patrol.

What does the statement on the assessor map mean when it says:  "For Taxlot Purposes Only?"

The Washington County Assessor Maps are drawn for the purpose of assisting the County Appraisal Division in the process of inventorying real property. These maps are drawn as accurately as possible from several sources and show a lot of detail. More and more agencies are using these maps as a "base map" to tie to other data sets. Washington County Cartography cannot be responsible for any other uses, or additional data overlays by other jurisdictions.

Why do I need to prepay my taxes for plats or property line changes?

Oregon Revised Statute 311.280(3) states that "The assessor or tax collector shall not divide an assessment under this section unless all ad valorem taxes, fees and other charges required to be placed upon the tax roll that have been certified for collection under ORS 311.110 and become a lien upon the entire parcel of property have been paid." Between July 1 and the certification of the tax roll (in October), the taxes are owing as a lien against the property. Since the actual taxes are not known until the tax roll is certified, an estimate of taxes is calculated for pre-payment. That pre-payment of taxes must be paid before the boundary can be adjusted. Contact the Cartography Division at (503)846-8871.

What should I do with Styrofoam?

First of all - reuse them if you can! If you have no further use for the packing peanuts, contact your local shipping/mailing store to see if they will accept your peanuts. They are usually welcomed providing they are clean and free of debris.

Block Styrofoam (used to package products inside boxes) is accepted at these Portland area companies for a fee:

Recology/Ecolights Northwest (503) 285-8777
* North Portland - 4044 N Suttle Road
* Southeast Portland - 6400 SE 10th
* Oregon City - 16202 S Park Place Court

Total Reclaim (503) 281-1899
* Northeast Oirtkabd - 5805 NE Columbia Blvd.

See also:

Why should I replace my old wood stove?

There are many reasons to replace your old wood stove with a cleaner heat source. Some of them include:
  • Save time and money: Switching to another heat source will save you the time and money you spent on buying, splitting and stacking firewood. Participating in this program gives you a rebate of $1,500-$3,500. Depending on what you replace your stove with, that may cover most of the costs associated with the replacement.
  • Stay warmer: Old wood stoves are inefficient and do not produce enough heat. Replacing your old stove can keep you warmer in the winter.
  • Improve health: Exposure to wood smoke has been linked to short- and long-term health issues such as asthma attacks, reduced lung functions and increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
  • Increase safety: Many old wood stoves pose serious fire risks. Getting rid of your old wood stove can protect the safety of your family and your home.
  • Promote community health: Old wood stoves are a major source of air pollution in Washington County. Replacing these stoves promotes community health and livability.

What type of documentation is required?

In addition to the program application, participants must submit documentation demonstrating their household income. This can include a paystub, your most recent tax return, social security statements etc. Participants must also submit utility bills from the three winter months.

If participants opt out of submitting income documentation, they can still qualify for a $1,500 rebate. Utility bills still must be submitted.

How do I apply?

To apply, print and complete this application [link to app]. Mail it or drop it off at the address below. Please be sure to follow all of the instructions included in the application.

Washington County Office of Community Development
Attn: Wood Stove Exchange Program
328 W Main Street, Suite 100, MS 7
Hillsboro, OR 97123

You can also pick up an application at the address above.

How does the program work?

To improve air quality and protect public health, residents in Washington County can receive $1,500-$3,500 to replace their old wood stove with a cleaner home heating system. For residents who qualify for a grant, the program will pay the full costs of replacing your wood stove.
  1. Complete an application. The application is designed to pre-qualify you for the exchange program and determine if you qualify for a rebate or free replacement. Follow the submission instructions on the application. Call 503-846-4425 if you have questions.
  2. Get inspected and approved. Program staff will visit your home to verify the age and eligibility of your current wood stove and discuss replacement options with you. Once approved, you will receive a letter confirming the amount of your rebate, or your eligibility for a free replacement.
  3. Choose your vendor. Once you receive a rebate approval letter, you can start shopping! Your rebate approval letter can be used at any of the vendors on our approved list. We encourage you to shop around and get multiple bids. Heating appliances, services and warranties may vary between vendors. For households receiving a free replacement, staff will work directly with you and an approved vendor or installer to prepare for the project.
  4. Washington County pays vendor. Once your project is finished and permitted, program staff will pay your vendor the amount of your rebate. Any additional balance due is paid by the resident.

Am I eligible?

Eligibility is based on two primary factors:
  • Wood stove: To be eligible for the wood stove exchange program, you must rely on an old or uncertified freestanding wood stove or wood stove insert as an essential heat source during the winter months to stay warm. This guide can help you determine if your stove qualifies. [link to stove eligibility guide]
  • Income: To qualify for a full-cost replacement, your household income must be at or below 80% of the region’s median family income. If your household is above that threshold, you will still qualify for a replacement rebate between $1,500 and $3,500. Review this chart to determine the amount you qualify for.

What if I need help in some other language?

The Census Bureau will provide language guides in 59 non-English languages, shown below. The language guides cannot be used to respond to the census, but can help respondents fill out the actual form in English.

Albanian / Shqip
Amharic / አማርኛ
Arabic / العربية
Armenian / Հայերեն
Bengali / বাংলা
Bosnian / Bosanski
Bulgarian / български език
Burmese / မြန်မာစာ
Chinese (simplified) / 中文(简体)
Chinese (traditional) / 中文(繁體)
Croatian / Hrvatski
Czech / Čeština
Dutch / Nederlands
Farsi / فارسی
French / Français
German / Deutsch
Greek / ελληνικός
Gujarati / ગુજરાતી
Haitian Creole / Kreyòl Ayisyen
Hebrew / עברית
Hindi / हिन्दी
Hmong / Hmoob
Hungarian / Magyar Nyelv
Igbo / Asụsụ Igbo
Ilocano / Pagsasao nga Ilokano
Indonesian / Bahasa Indonesia
Italian / Italiano
Japanese / 日本語
Khmer / ភាសាខ្មែរ
Korean / 한국어
Lao / ພາສາລາວ
Lithuanian / Lietuvių Kalba
Malayalam / മലയാളം
Marathi / मराठी
Navajo / Diné Bizaad
Nepali / नेपाली
Polish / Język Polski
Portuguese / Português
Punjabi / ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
Romanian / Limba Română
Russian / Русский
Serbian / Cpпски
Sinhala / සිංහල
Slovak / Slovenčina
Somali / Af Soomaali
Spanish / Español
Swahili / Kiswahili
Tagalog / Wikang Tagalog
Tamil / தமிழ்
Telugu / తెలుగు
Thai / ภาษาไทย
Tigrinya / ትግርኛ
Turkish / Türkçe
Ukrainian / українська мова
Urdu / اردو
Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
Yiddish / ייִדיש
Yoruba / Èdè Yorùbá

See also:

Can census responses be shared with law enforcement or other government agencies like U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)?

No, Title 13 of the U.S. Code protects the confidentiality of personally identifiable information provided in census responses, including citizenship status. Federal law prohibits the Census Bureau from sharing personally identifiable information with other government agencies or the public for a period of 72 years. Census staff take a lifetime oath to protect census responses, with severe penalties for violations. The law prohibits personally identifiable information collected by the Census Bureau from being used against respondents by any government agency or court.

Will I be asked about my citizenship status or the citizenship status of members of my household?

A question about citizenship will NOT be asked for Census 2020, the decennial survey of every resident in the United States. A question about citizenship WILL be asked for the American Community Survey, the annual survey sent to a random sample of households in the United States. In either case, the Census Bureau strongly encourages respondents to answer every question for every person in the household, but will allow submission of incomplete questionnaires.

How do I identify an official census worker in person or over the phone?

Census workers must present an ID badge that includes their photo, the U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date. For more information, see these additional tips from the Census Bureau for identifying census workers.

To verify, people can also contact Census Questionnaire Assistance, enter the name into the Census Bureau Staff Search (link shown below), or contact the Regional Office for Oregon at 1-800-992-3530.

See also:

What is the phone number for Washington County Parks?

(503) 359-5732 Monday thru Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm (closed during the lunch hour - noon to 1:00pm)

What is the difference between a "taxlot" and a "legal lot of record?"

A "taxlot" is an area of land defined by a polygon on the assessor map. An account number is assigned to track the ownership and tax information related to it. A "legal lot of record" is tracked by the Planning office, who track if a parcel was created legally by deed, ordinance, and within zoning laws. A "legal lot of record" can be a taxlot but not all taxlots are "legal lots of record."

What is the Child Health Insurance Program or CHIPS?

A federal program which expands eligibility for Oregon Health Plan to include children/youth up to a certain percentage of poverty.

How much does it cost?

Applying for and participating in the wood stove exchange program is free. Your out-of-pocket costs for replacing your wood stove will depend on your rebate amount (based on household income) and the cost of your replacement system. The program is completely free for households who qualify for a full-cost replacement grant.

Where can I locate the Transportation Development Tax annual reports?

By December 31 each year, the Transportation Development Tax (TDT) annual report is posted on the TDT webpage ( under Manuals and Reports.

What is CASA?

CASA or Court Appointed Special Advocates is a legislatively mandated program where specially trained volunteers are assigned by a judge to advocate for the best interests of an abused/neglected child in court proceedings related to the child's case, particularly as they relate to placement/permanency planning.

How can my organization get 2020 Census materials (e.g. posters, pens, bookmarks)?

Census Bureau Partnership Specialists can provide 2020 Census materials. Staff can be reached at

The Bureau also offers downloadable materials at the link below.

See also:

In what languages will telephone assistance be available?

Census Questionnaire Assistance will be available in English and 12 non-English languages including Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), French, Haitian Creole, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. People will also be able to use their Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD) when calling.

When should my child get immunized?

Children need to get immunized when they are babies. Many parents think that children don't need shots until they are ready to enter school. That's not true! Children need most of their shots during their first two years, starting at birth or when they are two months old. Children who are behind on their shots need to get immunized to "catch up" and be protected.

What if I don't have money to pay for shots?

Even if you don't have the money to pay for shots, your public health clinic offers them at a very low cost. At the Washington County Health Department, no one is denied service based on the inability to pay. Call 503-846-8851.

How long until I get my new heating device?

Every attempt will be made to perform exchanges promptly after program approval. A typical project time frame from application to project completion is approximately four weeks. The work at your home may only take one or two days. Timelines may extend depending on participation levels, contractor availability and project priorities.

What is Head Start?

Federally funded comprehensive pre-school program serving low income families and their children through class work and home visitations.

Can I choose my vendor?

If you are getting a rebate, you may select your vendor from a list of participating vendors. We strongly encourage you to get more than one bid as prices and features for heating equipment can vary.

If you are receiving a full-cost replacement grant, we will work with you to choose a home-heating system and vendor that meets your needs.

In what ways will responding to the census be accessible?

Language guides will be available in American Sign Language, Braille, and large print. Census Questionnaire Assistance will also be available to callers using a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD).

When does the 2020 Census start?

Most households will receive their census materials by U.S. mail or hand-delivery starting in mid-March. The online and telephone response options will be available starting on March 12, 2020.

Why is it important to keep a shot record for my child at home when the doctor’s office has a copy?

Most people are busy and have trouble remembering a shot from years back. Keeping a shot record of your child’s immunizations ensures that your child will not miss any vaccinations or, conversely, get too many shots. Your child’s immunization record is an important part of your child’s permanent medical record that will be needed throughout his or her lifetime. It’s up to you to make sure your child is protected.

Do people have to respond online?

No, households have the option to respond to the census questionnaire in one of three ways: online, by telephone, or using a paper questionnaire.

I already bought a new heating device; can I still get a rebate?

No, rebates cannot for a replacement that has already happened. You must apply and be approved for a rebate before you buy your new heat device.

Can I donate a stove to the program?

No, the program is not set up to receive donated heating appliances and equipment.

Can I convert my open brick/masonry fireplace?

No. Currently, the program is only set up to replace old freestanding wood stoves and wood stove inserts that sit inside fireplaces.

Can I keep my old wood stove after it is removed?

No. Old wood stoves and wood stove inserts that are replaced in this program must be destroyed or rendered inoperable. Your vendor/installer will handle this.

What should people do if they have a question or problem?

People can call Census Questionnaire Assistance toll-free for answers to questions or to provide their household responses by phone. The phone number will be available in early 2020.

Are immunizations safe?

Reactions to the shots may occur, but they are rarely serious. The site may be tender to touch for a few days. Remember that the risk of not immunizing your child is far greater than the risk of a serious reaction.

What should I do with unwanted rechargeable batteries?

Save your spent batteries to take to Metro's Hazardous Waste facilities for collection or learn about where to take rechargeable cell phone, laptop, camcorder, digital camer and power tool batteries for proper collection; Call2Recycle (1-877-2-Recycle or 1-877-273-2925).

See also:

What is a Service Incidence Study?

Service and revenue incidence studies examine the geographic locations where a government jurisdiction receives funding and where and how a jurisdiction spends these dollars. Studies of this kind help policymakers determine the extent to which a subsidy occurs within a system where taxpayers support multiple jurisdictions at the same time through property taxes, fees, income taxes and other revenues.

What type of home is eligible?

Single family homes, manufactured homes and multifamily homes are eligible for the program. Some multifamily homes may not be eligible due to the structure of the building, local codes or proximity of other units. Program staff will verify eligibility during the initial inspection.

What is Healthy Start?

State program whih provides families with newborn children assessed at high risk of poor child outcomes with intensive home visitation services, developmental screening, and health promotion services.

What is the difference between "surveyed acreage" and "taxable acreage?"

The "surveyed acreage" is everything within the boundaries of a surveyed property. The "taxable acreage" may not include areas used by the public such as within road right-of-ways. Some property boundaries extend into the public road righ-of-way and are dedicated as such.

What were the findings of the Portland State University study in 1984?

The 1984 study found funding/service inequities in the areas of public safety, planning, road maintenance and some human services.

See also:

Does the Cartography Division of Assessment & Taxation track easements?

The A&T Cartography Division will reflect access (ingress/egress)easements and large utility easements such as Bonneville Power Administration on the maps. To locate utility and other recorded easements, contact a local title insurance company.

How long does it take to fill out the form?

The Census Bureau estimates that it will take about 10 minutes to complete the census questionnaire, depending on the number of people in the household.

What happens if a person misses a question?

The Census Bureau strongly encourages respondents to answer every question for every person in the household, but will allow submission of incomplete questionnaires. Bureau staff may follow up on incomplete submissions.

Will there be a problem if multiple people respond online from the same location or IP address?

The Census Bureau will only restrict IP addresses as a security precaution. For example, they may block an IP address if its activity appears to pose a security threat. They are anticipating and planning for multiple responses from computers in places like libraries, or generated through other outreach activities, such as block parties.

Will the study findings show how and where property tax dollars are spent in my neighborhood?

The geographic incidence of County revenue and expenditure patterns will focus only on urban, urban unincorporated and rural areas. Determining these patterns in specific neighborhoods and communities was not part of the 1984 study design and is beyond the scope of the current effort.

What geographical areas will be studied as part of the County’s Service Incidence Study?

The geographic location-categories include: Washington County cities, the urban unincorporated area and the rural unincorporated area. These were the same three geographic areas examined by PSU in 1984.

See also:

In what languages will the online form be available?

The online form will be available in English and 12 non-English languages: Arabic, Chinese [Simplified], French, Haitian Creole, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.

In what languages will the paper form be available?

The paper form will be available in English and bilingual English-Spanish.

Browsers - Which browser versions work best with the County Website?

The Washington County Website works best with Google Chrome 40 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 44 or higher, Apple Safari 8 or higher, or Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 8 or higher (using Windows Vista or newer). The Website was not programmed to operate with IE versions 7 and below. Please check the Web Site Help page (linked below) for links to download and install a current version of Chrome or Firefox.

See also:

What is a Family Resource Center or FRC?

They are community or school-based centers which provide information to children/youth/families about resources available in the ocmmunity and assist families to access resources. Often state/community agencies have an on-site presence and offer services at the center. They often provide parenting education, support groups, resource fairs, health screenings, etc.

Who is in charge of conducting the Service Incidence Study?

Washington County Auditor Alan Percell is leading the Service Incidence Study effort with the help of a professional auditing firm. The Auditor is independently elected by all county voters.

Do immunizations work?

YES! if your child gets the right shots at the right times, you can greatly reduce the chances of getting these diseases.

Can people respond if they have misplaced or never received the unique ID mailed or hand-delivered to their address?

Yes, people can respond online or by telephone using an option called Non-ID Response, which allows them to complete their census forms without the unique ID, as long as they provide a valid home address.

Can renters apply?

Yes, rental properties are eligible for the program with approval from the property owner. For renter households who qualify for a grant (free replacement), the property owner is required to contribute 20% of the total project costs (approximately $600-$1000).

Is the online system secure?

Yes, the Census Bureau has taken significant steps to protect online responses. All information entered online is encrypted as soon as the respondent hits “submit.”

Can I choose my replacement appliance?

Yes, the exchange program allows you to choose your replacement appliance. Review our Replacement Options page for details on the benefits and costs of various replacement types.

Can people respond on a smartphone or tablet?

Yes, the online form will be optimized to allow people to respond on a smartphone or tablet.

How do I submit my application?

You can submit your application online, deliver it in person or mail it to the office address listed below. Application packets will be accepted as long as they are received and date stamped in the Department of Human Resources by the application deadline listed on the recruitment announcement.

See also:

Where can I get a Certificate of Immunization Status form?

Your child’s school or childcare provider will have copies of the correct form. You can also pick up a copy at your local county health department.

Where should I go to get my child immunized?

Your child's regular health care provider can give the needed shots. Ask about shots at every visit. Pharmacies provide some vaccines. Washington County health clinics in Hillsboro and Beaverton also provide shots. Call 503-846-8881 for an appointment. Our bilingual professional staff will be happy to answer your questions.

Abandoned Vehicles

How Do I Report an Abandoned Vehicle?

If a vehicle meets the above listed criteria, contact Washington County Dispatch at (503) 629-0111 to report it. You will need to provide the call taker with:

• a description of the vehicle.

• the license plate or VIN.

• the location of the vehicle.

• the length of time the vehicle has been at the location.

• your name and a contact phone number or address. This information will be kept confidential and must be provided or we cannot process your complaint.

How do I file a complaint?

You have the right to request a hearing if your vehicle was towed, or has been tagged to be towed as an abandoned vehicle. Your request must be in writing and be within 5 days of the date the vehicle was tagged. You must also state the grounds upon which you believe the tow is not justified. Send it to:

Washington County Sheriff's Office
Attention Abandoned Vehicles Hearings Officer
215 SW Adams Avenue, MS #32
Hillsboro, OR 97123

What constitutes an abandoned vehicle?

A vehicle is considered "abandoned" if it has been on a public right-of-way for more than 24 hours and one or more of the following criteria apply:

• It appears disabled or inoperative.

• It does not belong to somebody in the immediate area.

If the vehicle does not fit one of the above criteria, then the vehicle is not considered abandoned and no time restriction exists.

Where has my car been towed?

Call the Washington County Sheriff's Office Records Section at (503) 846-2700. They will be able to tell you which tow company has your vehicle. The tow company will require proof of ownership and payment of towing and storage charges before they will release the vehicle.

Can I get my stuff out of the car?

If your vehicle was towed at the county's request from public property, you have 15 days from the date of the tow to retrieve your personal belongings from the vehicle without paying towing or storage costs. This does not include anything that is attached to the vehicle.

What about abandoned vehicles on private property?

The Sheriff’s Office is not authorized to tow abandoned vehicles from private property. Oregon Revised Statute 98.830 contains a simple procedure for the owner or person in lawful possession of private property to remove an abandoned vehicle from it.

See also:

My car has been tagged, what will happen now?

You have 24 hours from when the car was tagged to remove it from the public right-of-way. If it is still on the right-of-way beyond that, it will be subject to towing. If it is towed, a lien will attach to the vehicle for the tow company’s towing and storage charges. If you do not reclaim it within a specific time period, it will be disposed of or sold according to law.


05. How do I register my alarm system?

You can apply in one of two ways:

1) Fill out the Alarm Permit Registration Form and submit it either by mail or in person along with a check or money order payable to the Washington County Sheriff's Office for your first year's fee of $20. The mailing address is provided on the application form.

2) You can register and pay online at our secure website. This site will allow you to pay the $20 alarm permit fee by either credit card or e-check.

See also:

10. What is considered a “false alarm”?

Washington County Ordinance 8.12.030 defines a false alarm as any "alarm signal, capable of eliciting a response by police when a situation requiring the police does not in fact exist." There are many common causes of false alarms:

1) Alarm system or sensors malfunction causing an activation

2) Improper installation or monitoring by an alarm business

3) Alarm activations that occur while alarm technicians are repairing or servicing the alarm system

4) Any activation where no evidence of criminal activity is present

5) Mistakes made by occupants of the premises, contractors, cleaning crews, visitors, realtors, etc.

6) Items within the home or business that move, causing motion detectors to activate (i.e. curtains, balloons, signs, etc.)

7) Doors or windows that become loose and cause a break in the contacts that activate the alarm system

8) Caretakers who watch the home or business when the owner is away often activate an alarm in error and then cannot cancel the alarm because they do not know the required codes or passwords

9) Pets, rodents, or wildlife movement in or near the home or business

See also:

11. What is considered a bonafide alarm?

Bonafide alarm examples include when there are signs of actual or attempted forced entry, or when a neighbor reports seeing suspicious activity on the property. Fines are only imposed for false alarms.

Washington County Ordinance 8.12 also provides that alarm activations will not be treated as a false alarm if caused by obvious natural circumstances such as a wind storm or an earthquake. Additionally, if there is notification from the alarm company or the alarm user that the system is faulty or that the user erred, and that notification is received before an officer arrives on the scene, the alarm will not be charged as a false alarm.

See also:

12. If I have a false alarm, what will the fine be?

Washington County has a progressive false alarm fine system. False alarm activations will be charged by the following schedule during each 365-day period, based on the anniversary date of your alarm permit. As you begin each new permit year, the false alarm count resets to zero.

1st false alarm - $13

2nd false alarm - $38 per car, plus $13

3rd false alarm - $38 per car, plus $13

4th and all subsequent false alarms - $38 per car, plus $126

13. If I disagree with an assessed fine, can I appeal?

Yes. If you disagree, you can appeal in writing to the Alarm Coordinator. You must explain why you believe the fine was not warranted and provide any supporting documentation. Please re-familiarize yourself with the definitions for false alarms and bonafide alarms above before submitting your appeal. If the alarm falls under the false alarm category, it is unlikely that an appeal will be granted. You can submit your appeal by mail to:

WCSO Alarm Coordinator
215 SW Adams Ave. MS 32
Hillsboro OR 97123

14. How do I pay my permit fees, false alarm fines, or penalties?

You can make payment in two different ways:

1) Mail: Send a check or money order payable to Washington County Sheriff’s Office with the payment stub section of the invoice. The mailing address is:

WCSO Alarm Permit Unit
215 SW Adams Avenue MS-32
Hillsboro OR 97123

2) Online: Login to your permit account on our secure website to pay fees or fines by credit card or e-check.

We do not accept payment by phone.

See also:

16. Can my alarm permit be revoked?

Yes, Washington County Ordinance 8.12.127 requires revocation of your permit for failure to pay any fee, fine, or penalty within 90 days. The ordinance also allows the sheriff to revoke your alarm permit for excessive false alarms during any rolling 12-month period.

In addition, any unpaid false alarm fines that caused the revocation may be sent to collections. When this happens, the alarm user must pay off the balance of their alarm account, as well as any related collection charges before the account can be removed from "revoked" status.

See also:

18. If my alarm permit has been revoked, how do I reinstate it?

If your alarm permit was revoked for failure to pay fees or fines, you will be required to pay all outstanding fees, fines, and penalties to reinstate it including any collection charges, if applicable.

If your alarm permit was revoked due to excessive false alarms, in addition to paying all outstanding fees and fines, you will also be required to submit a written plan to identify and eliminate the cause of the false alarms. The plan must be acceptable to the sheriff for reinstatement of the alarm permit, or the sheriff may temporarily reinstate the permit for a period of time to determine whether the plan for alleviating the false alarms is effective.

15. What will happen if I do not pay the alarm fees or fines?

1) At 30 days past due, a past due letter and invoice will be mailed to you

2) At 60 days past due, a $17 late payment penalty will be added to any unpaid alarm fee or fine

3) At 90 days past due, your alarm permit will be revoked and you will be notified in writing. A Revocation Reinstatement Fee of $30 is added to your account at the time of revocation

01. Who is required to have an alarm permit?

Every alarm user (residential or commercial) operating an alarm system in unincorporated Washington County or in the cities of Banks, Cornelius, Hillsboro or Gaston must obtain an alarm permit from the Sheriff’s Office. A separate permit is required for each alarmed site or building.

17. What happens if I continue to operate my alarm system after my alarm permit has been revoked?

If you create any kind of alarm calls while revoked (bonafide, authorized cancel, audible alarm) - you may be issued a $500 citation for each activation. (Ordinance 8.12.040)

If you create a false alarm while revoked - you may be issued a $1,000 citation for each false alarm response. (Ordinance 8.12.128)

See also:

04. Do I have to register my car alarm?

No, car alarms do not need to be registered.

19. Where can I read or obtain a copy of the ordinance?

Please follow this link:

See also:

06. What is the cost for an alarm permit and how long is it good for?

The alarm permit fee for either business or residential properties is $20 and it is valid for one year from the date of issuance. The permit must be renewed annually.

09. What does the county hope to accomplish by enforcing the false alarm ordinance?

The county wants to substantially reduce the number of false alarms that require a law enforcement response. This frees more deputies to respond to actual emergency calls for service.

07. Where do the alarm permit fees and false alarm fines go?

The permit fees and false alarm fines are used to offset the county's administrative costs of the program and time spent by deputies on false alarm calls.

20. Who can I call if I have additional questions or comments?

The Washington County Sheriff’s Alarm Permit Unit is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Call (503) 846-2519 or e-mail us at

02. What is considered an “alarm system”?

Washington County Ordinance 8.12.030 defines an alarm system as "any assembly or equipment, mechanical or electrical, arranged to signal the occurrence of an illegal entry or other activity requiring urgent attention and to which police are expected to respond."

03. If I don’t have an alarm monitoring company, do I still have to have a permit?

Yes, even unmonitored alarm systems need to have a permit. If an alarm system is active, most have a siren or other signal that go off if the alarm is tripped and police are typically called to respond.

08. Are false alarms a problem?

Yes. Across the nation, the growth of alarm system ownership has resulted in a tremendous number of false alarms. The response to false alarms has created an additional burden on law enforcement agencies. Nationally, as well as locally, approximately 98% of all burglar alarms are false.

Animal Control

Can Animal Services pick up a dead animal on the roadside?

Animal Services responds to requests to pick-up dead dogs and cats only. If the dead animal is a deer or elk, then please call Washington County Land Use & Transportation, Operations division to request a pick-up. If the dead animal is livestock (cow, horse, sheep) and in the road, then please call Washington County Land Use & Transportation. If the dead animal is a wild animal (coyote, opossum, skunk, etc.), then Animal Services will not pick-up the remains. Please call your local city's public works department for assistance.

See also:

I think an animal is being abused or neglected. What can Animal Services do about cruelty and neglect?

It is unlawful to commit acts of cruelty and/or neglect to animals. This includes abuse; neglect; abandonment; deprivation of food, drink or adequate and humane shelter; or confinement in a motor vehicle under conditions that endanger the health or well-being of the animal. Animal Services officers investigate cruelty and/or neglect of any domestic animal. Call Washington County Animal Services office to report any abuse or neglect. The complainant must provide his/her name, address, phone number, cross street, animal owner's name, address, and cross street. The complainant must specify what the problem is, the type of animal allegedly incurring the cruelty, and when the complainant first noticed problem. Abuse and/or neglect convictions are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

See also:

What can I do about a barking dog in my neighborhood?

It is a violation under Code 6.04.260 for any person to be the owner or keeper of a dog that is committing a Continuous Annoyance, which means any repeated barking, whining, screeching, howling, or other sounds caused by a dog or dogs which can be heard beyond the boundary of the dog's property. A dog allowed to be a Continuous Annoyance for a total of five (5) or more minutes out of any fifteen (15) minute period can result in a maximum fine of up to $500 per occurrence. Often when two neighbors get together and discuss why the dog is barking, the problem is taken care of without legal process. Making the dog owner aware of the situation usually solves the problem. Animal Services will dispatch an officer to discuss the problem with the dog owner/keeper and may issue citations if the Continuous Annoyance is not abated.

What does Animal Services consider an emergency?

Animal Services officers prioritize calls that involve an immediate threat to humans, or for injured animals as follows: --Dogs and cats actively attacking humans. --Domestic animals are sick or injured and in immediate need of assistance. --Animals that are left unattended in vehicles during hot weather over 75 degrees. --Police, Fire, Postal, or Animal Services officers requesting assistance. Non-emergency situations may include dogs running loose, barking dogs, animals that are dead and stray animals that have been restrained by residents. Many times, calling 911 or the police non-emergency line at 503-629-0111 for situations that require immediate response can get assistance to the scene more quickly. Our officers do not have the ability to respond with lights and sirens, and must obey all traffic laws and speed limits in their travels.

See also:

Can Animal Services remove an aggressive dog from an irresponsible owner?

A dog is considered property, and Animal Services cannot remove someone’s property without official cause or a judge's order. As long as an owner keeps his dog(s) confined to his property and complies with animal ordinances, Animal Services cannot take any action against the owner, such as taking the person’s dog from them. If the dog is violating any County Ordinances, Animal Services may cite the owner. A dog found to have committed dangerous behavior may require restrictions for the owner to keep it on its property.

See also:

Why was an Animal Services vehicle at my house? 

If Animal Services had a call at your address the dispatcher can tell you the nature of the call. In many cases, the officer may have received a call to patrol in the neighborhood and simply stopped to complete a patrol report or take a cell phone call. If an officer stops at a residence on a complaint, he will leave a notice hanging on your door. Officers also routinely follow-up on expired dog licenses. If you had a previous dog license the officer may be following up on it.

My dog has all of its vaccinations and is not mean, but it bit a person. Now my dog must be in quarantine. What does this mean?

Animal Services is required by law to do a dog bite investigation, fill out a bite report and observe animals that have bitten a human where the bite broke the skin. In Oregon, when a dog, cat or ferret bites a person, it must be placed in observation for 10 days. During the observation period, the animal must be quarantined from other animals or people who do not live in the home, and can only go outside to use the bathroom. Observation might be required at the animal shelter, a veterinary clinic or your home.

See also:

If I get a trap elsewhere and catch something, where do I take the animal?

It is your legal obligation to bring all trapped domestic animals (dogs and cats) to the animal shelter in the jurisdiction within which the animal is trapped. You need a permit to trap wildlife. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has specific rules pertaining to the trapping and transport of wildlife. Please review the information on their Wildlife Control Operators page and contact them at 503-947-6000 with additional questions.

See also:

I have a problem with wild animals getting into my garbage, what should I do?

Wild animals are scavengers. Keep garbage cans covered with the lids locked down. Do not feed domestic animals outside. Do not store wild bird food outside. Trapping should be a last resort alternative. For information visit the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife page on living with Oregon wildlife or call them at 503-947-6000. They also have a list of Wildlife Control Operators, which are businesses/individuals who are permitted by ODFW to deal with certain nuisance wild animals for a fee.

See also:

How do you become an Animal Control Officer?

There are many ways one enters this profession. Some people have a law enforcement background. For instance one may have a degree in Criminal Justice, be a former police officer or sheriff's deputy, or have pursued training in the animal control field by taking classes from the National Animal Control Association or something similar. Some people first get jobs as volunteers at a nonprofit agency or county or city animal shelter. This then leads into opportunities for full time or part time employment. Some start out as animal caretakers although the jobs for an Animal Control Officer and Animal Care Technician are very different. ACO's don't interact with that many animals on a daily basis and in fact are code enforcement officers who mediate neighborhood problems, enforce laws and issue citations resulting in lots of courtroom testimony. ACO's spend most of their time interacting with people not animals. If you are interested in the handling and interacting with the animals an animal care technician job may be preferable. The training that might interest you to be an animal control officer can be found by looking up the following web sites: Humane Society University, National Animal Control Association, Washington (State) Animal Control Association, the American Humane Association and the University of Missouri's Law Enforcement Training Institute National Cruelty Investigations School.

My dog likes to ride in the back of my truck. What are the laws regarding him riding back there?

According to ORS 811.200, it is illegal for a person to carry a dog upon the hood, fender, running board or other external part of any automobile or truck, unless the dog is protected by framework, carrier, or other device sufficient to keep it falling from the vehicle.

See also:

I am the manager of a mobile home park (or apartment complex) and we do not allow large breed dogs in our park.  We have a tenant who has a big dog. Can Animal Services require the owner to get rid of the big dog? 

Animal Services cannot enforce restrictions or contractual agreements with your tenants. Officers can only enforce violations of the Washington County animal ordinances.

Can Animal Services help me with a problem skunk, raccoon or other wild animal?

Animal Services is not authorized to assist citizens with wild animals. Please review the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife page on living with Oregon wildlife or call them at 503-947-6000. They also have a list of Wildlife Control Operators, which are businesses/individuals who are permitted by ODFW to deal with certain nuisance wild animals for a fee.

See also:

There is a dog running in my livestock yard/barn. What can I do?

Animal Services responds to livestock concerns in which a dog is believed to have injured, chased, or killed any livestock. The owner of the livestock that has been damaged by any dog may take action against the owner of the dog. This action is considered a civil matter between the livestock owner and the dog owner. Animal Services will respond to a call when a dog is in the livestock yard/barn.

See also:

I received a citation or infraction. Where do I go to pay or arrange for a hearing?

Animal Services’ citations and infractions are adjudicated through the Justice Court at 3700 SW Murray Boulevard, Suite #150, Beaverton, Oregon 97005.

What happens to the animals when you take them from the trap?

Dogs and cats without licenses, tags, or microchips are held 3 business days. Licensed, tagged, or chipped dogs are held 7 business days. After the holding period is over, the animal is assessed for health, behavior and adoptability so that the pet can be moved into a new permanent home, a placement partner, or foster environment.

My neighbor’s dog gets out all the time and chases me.  What can I do?

If you have a continuing problem with a neighbor’s loose dog and chasing you, get to safety and call Animal Services. If the dog is out when one of our officers arrives on the scene, the officer may impound the dog. In addition, the officer may speak with the dog owner/keeper or cite the owner/keeper. The officer will take any action he/she deems necessary when arriving on the scene.

See also:

When I call for service, how long will it take Animal Services to get here?

In most cases, Animal Services officers will arrive within two hours.

Can I trap animals?

It is legal to trap nuisance dogs and cats that have trespassed onto your property. There are humane traps that do not injure animals that can be rented or purchased at some feed stores and specialty rental outlets. All trapped dogs and cats must be brought into the shelter.

My neighbor has an aggressive pit bull.  It is in a fenced area but I am afraid of it.  How do I go about getting it removed from the neighborhood?

It is NOT against any law in Washington County to own a pit bull or any other type of dog. As long as the owner complies with animal ordinances he/she may own any breed of canine.

Can Animal Services pick up a dog that is running loose in my neighborhood?

It is unlawful under Code 6.04.230 for any person to be the owner or keeper of a dog running at-large. Any dog found running at large may be impounded and brought to the shelter. Redemption fees and fines may then be charged.

See also:

Can Animal Services take my own cat/dog to the Animal Shelter?

On special cases only, Animal Services may pick-up an owner's pet for a fee. A pick-up fee and disposal fee (if the animal is dead) will be charged. The disposal fee is based on the animal's weight. Usually, this service is performed on a time-available basis, after priority calls. You may also bring the pet to the animal shelter.

See also:

I found a baby (or injured) bird can I bring it to you?

Please read the Audubon Society of Portland guide on what to do if you find a baby bird and call their wildlife care center hotline at 503-292-0304 for additional assistance and information. The wildlife care center can also give you advice on injured wildlife, but they are unable to accept non-native, exotic or domestic animals for treatment.

See also:

I want my problem taken care of now. So what if I lie and file a false report about its urgency?

Providing false information to an Animal Services Employee is a violation of County Code that can result in a fine of up to $1,000. Lying and filing a false report or urgency could take Animal Services away from a legitimate emergency. This could result in pets, children and adults getting injured. Criminal charges may also be pursued.

What is the limit of pets is Washington County?

The different cities in Washington County have their own number limits. If you live within one of the incorporated cities, please check with their zoning or planning section for their regulations. In the unincorporated parts of Washington County, you may own four or less adult dogs. County Code Compliance Officers should be notified if you feel that your neighbors are out of compliance.

Can I remain anonymous when I call in a complaint?

The information provided to Animal Services becomes a public record and is not confidential. We are unable to take or act on anonymous information.

See also:

My roommate has a dog and I help take care of it when he’s at work. When I let the dog go out he won’t come back when I call.  Can I be held responsible for the dog?

Yes, as a dog caregiver or keeper you can be held responsible for the activity of the animal and can receive citations. Work with the dog and your roommate to find a way to control the dog.

See also:

Is this an animal control agency?

Yes. The organization is no longer called Animal Control. Washington County Animal Services better fits the function of the code enforcement department. The shelter is called Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter in memory of a past County Commissioner.

See also:


I have noticed that the virus is showing up in other species. What is the county or the state doing to identify if it has migrated to any of the wild animals that are out there?

There are studies that are evaluating the spread of COVID-19 among animals, including domestic pets. There have been some isolated cases in cats, but this is not a currently known risk for human exposure.

Area 93

What is “Area 93”?

In 2002, regional and local governments in the region made a collective commitment to add more than 20,000 acres to the urban growth boundary (UGB), providing land sufficient to support 20 years of anticipated population and job growth, as required by Oregon law. “Area 93” was one of several areas included in the 2002 UGB expansion to serve growth on the region’s west side—others included North Bethany, portions of River Terrace (West Bull Mountain), and portions of South Hillsboro.

Area 93 is located in Multnomah County, approximately 2.5 miles north of the U.S. High¬way 26/Oregon 217 interchange. It is approximately 160 acres in size. Due to existing roads and natural features, the land area available for development is less than half that amount. Area 93 is isolated from other urbanized areas in Multnomah County by a rural reserve area approximately one-half mile in width. It is contiguous to urbanized Washington County on two sides. Click here for a printable map

What is Area 93’s current status?

The 2002 UGB decision to allow development of Area 93 by the regional and local governments was made to reduce growth pressure on farm and forestland elsewhere. Since then Multnomah County and the City of Portland completed a significant amount of preliminary planning for Area 93, but unlike other 2002 west side UGB expan¬sion areas this area has not been able to move beyond the planning stage. The challenge has been determining how to provide and pay for essential urban services such as water, sewer, parks, roads, and police protection. The preferred solution to advance development of Area 93 involves transferring it into Washington County. (Revised Feb. 26)

Why change the county boundary for Area 93?

Area 93 landowners, Metro, and Multnomah and Washington counties have worked co¬operatively to find a solution that delivers on the region’s 2002 commitment to facilitate residential development in this area. In this unique situation, moving the county boundary to bring Area 93 into Washington County is necessary because:
• Public services essential to developing Area 93 cannot be provided in a timely and cost-effective manner by the City of Portland or Multnomah County,
• Those services are available in Washington County, and
• Revenue-raising tools are already in place in Washington County to ensure that those directly benefitting from development pay for the Area 93 infrastructure costs.

Who would pay the planning and infrastructure costs of development? Who would pay for urban services as the area develops?

Washington County’s objective is to make this change of jurisdiction as close to revenue-neutral for its existing taxpayers as possible. Existing Washington County resi¬dents should not have to pay for public improvements needed in Area 93—those who benefit should pay for them.

Changing the county boundary will allow Washington County to plan for what will primarily be residential development in Area 93. Once the Washington County Board of Commissioners adopts these land use plans, property owners would be required to annex into several Washington County service districts as a condition of development (listed in the table below). Property taxes will increase as these additional services are provided to the property.

In addition, new revenue may be necessary to combine with development fees and taxes to pay the cost of new roads and other infrastructure specifically benefiting Area 93. A clear picture of future property tax costs is expected when Washington County conducts the planning process for this new urban area.

Potential revenue tools to pay for Area 93 planning and urban services include: Metro’s Community Planning and Development Grants; development fees; systems development charges for transportation, parks, water and sewer systems; construction excise taxes for schools; and increased property taxes collected as the area develops. (This will include specific property tax levies for urban levels of road maintenance and police protection.)

How many additional students would be expected from a development of this size?

Area 93 is already in the Beaverton School District, so the schools that would serve additional students are Bonny Slope Elementary, Cedar Park Middle School and Sunset High School. The number of anticipated students varies with the density of development and the types of housing products offered. Those decisions would be made during the planning process following successful completion of the proposed boundary adjustment, a process that will involve the Beaverton School District. In addition, the Beaverton School District will collect construction excise taxes on all new development that occurs in Area 93 plus property taxes once the value of these new residential properties becomes part of the tax roll. This additional revenue will help fund future school capacity needs.




style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Calibri'>9. Who
would provide urban and other services as Area 93 develops?


style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;mso-border-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
mso-yfti-tbllook:480;mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-border-insideh:
.5pt solid windowtext;mso-border-insidev:.5pt solid windowtext'>

style='mso-yfti-irow:12 !msorm'>

style='font-family:Calibri'>Type of Service

style='font-family:Calibri'>Current Service Provider

style='font-family:Calibri'>Future Service Provider1

style='font-family:Calibri'>Basic County

(public health, jail,
elections, assessment and taxation, etc.)

style='font-family:Calibri'>Multnomah style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'>

style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'>

(Effective upon boundary


Multnomah County
Sheriff’s Office

Washington County Sheriff’s
Office (Effective upon boundary change)

Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District (Annexation necessary) 2


style='font-family:Calibri'>Fire & Rescue

style='font-family:Calibri'>Tualatin style='font-family:Calibri'> Valley style='font-family:Calibri'> Fire & Rescue

style='font-family:Calibri'>Tualatin style='font-family:Calibri'> Valley style='font-family:Calibri'> Fire & Rescue


style='font-family:Calibri'>Public Transportation




style='font-family:Calibri'>Drinking Water

Combination of Tualatin
Valley Water District and private wells


Tualatin Valley Water

(Annexations necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Storm & Sanitary Sewer

Private septic systems

Clean Water Services

(Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Neighborhood Street Maintenance


Washington County Urban
Road Maintenance District (Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Neighborhood Street Lighting


Service District for

(Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Parks & Recreation


Tualatin Hills Park
& Recreation District (Annexation necessary)



Multnomah County Library

style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'> Cooperative Library Services

(Effective upon boundary
change; no annexation necessary)



Regional Education Service District,
style='mso-bookmark:OLE_LINK10'> style='font-family:Calibri'>Portland style='mso-bookmark:OLE_LINK10'> style='font-family:Calibri'> Community College,

Beaverton w:st="on">School District

Northwest Regional
Education Service District, Portland
Community College,

Beaverton w:st="on">School District


style='font-family:Calibri'>Historical Museum

style='font-family:Calibri'>Oregon style='font-family:Calibri'> Historical Society

( w:st="on">Multnomah County
local option levy currently in effect)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County
style='font-family:Calibri'> (No annexation necessary; no local option levy)

style='font-family:Calibri'>Soil & Water Conservation

West Multnomah Soil
& Water Conservation District

West Multnomah Soil
& Water Conservation District


style='font-family:Calibri'>Regional Services

style='font-family:Calibri'>Port style='font-family:Calibri'> of Portland style='font-family:Calibri'>


style='font-family:Calibri'>Port style='font-family:Calibri'> of Portland style='font-family:Calibri'>




style='font-family:Calibri'>1. Shaded cells indicate boundary change that will
occur 30 days after declaration from the Governor or after service district
annexations. The Washington w:st="on">County Board of Commissioners may consider, in an
action soon after the boundary change occurs, annexation of all properties in
Area 93 to some or all of the districts that would typically serve urban
unincorporated neighborhoods in Washington
. Annexation to
other service districts would typically happen in conjunction with development.


style='font-family:Calibri'>2. As soon as the boundary changes, the Washington
County Sheriff’s Office will provide primary police protection to Area 93, as
it does for all areas outside of cities countywide. Upon annexation to the
Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District, the w:st="on">Washington County
Sheriff’s Office will provide an increased level of law enforcement service –
approximately double that provided in rural areas -- for Area 93.


(Revised May 3)


Who would provide urban and other services as Area 93 develops?



style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Calibri'>9. Who
would provide urban and other services as Area 93 develops?


style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;mso-border-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
mso-yfti-tbllook:480;mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-border-insideh:
.5pt solid windowtext;mso-border-insidev:.5pt solid windowtext'>

style='mso-yfti-irow:12 !msorm'>

style='font-family:Calibri'>Type of Service

style='font-family:Calibri'>Current Service Provider

style='font-family:Calibri'>Future Service Provider1

style='font-family:Calibri'>Basic County

(public health, jail,
elections, assessment and taxation, etc.)

style='font-family:Calibri'>Multnomah style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'>

style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'>

(Effective upon boundary


Multnomah County
Sheriff’s Office

Washington County Sheriff’s
Office (Effective upon boundary change)

Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District (Annexation necessary) 2


style='font-family:Calibri'>Fire & Rescue

style='font-family:Calibri'>Tualatin style='font-family:Calibri'> Valley style='font-family:Calibri'> Fire & Rescue

style='font-family:Calibri'>Tualatin style='font-family:Calibri'> Valley style='font-family:Calibri'> Fire & Rescue


style='font-family:Calibri'>Public Transportation




style='font-family:Calibri'>Drinking Water

Combination of Tualatin
Valley Water District and private wells


Tualatin Valley Water

(Annexations necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Storm & Sanitary Sewer

Private septic systems

Clean Water Services

(Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Neighborhood Street Maintenance


Washington County Urban
Road Maintenance District (Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Neighborhood Street Lighting


Service District for

(Annexation necessary)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Parks & Recreation


Tualatin Hills Park
& Recreation District (Annexation necessary)



Multnomah County Library

style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County style='font-family:Calibri'> Cooperative Library Services

(Effective upon boundary
change; no annexation necessary)



Regional Education Service District,
style='mso-bookmark:OLE_LINK10'> style='font-family:Calibri'>Portland style='mso-bookmark:OLE_LINK10'> style='font-family:Calibri'> Community College,

Beaverton w:st="on">School District

Northwest Regional
Education Service District, Portland
Community College,

Beaverton w:st="on">School District


style='font-family:Calibri'>Historical Museum

style='font-family:Calibri'>Oregon style='font-family:Calibri'> Historical Society

( w:st="on">Multnomah County
local option levy currently in effect)


style='font-family:Calibri'>Washington style='font-family:Calibri'> County
style='font-family:Calibri'> (No annexation necessary; no local option levy)

style='font-family:Calibri'>Soil & Water Conservation

West Multnomah Soil
& Water Conservation District

West Multnomah Soil
& Water Conservation District


style='font-family:Calibri'>Regional Services

style='font-family:Calibri'>Port style='font-family:Calibri'> of Portland style='font-family:Calibri'>


style='font-family:Calibri'>Port style='font-family:Calibri'> of Portland style='font-family:Calibri'>




style='font-family:Calibri'>1. Shaded cells indicate boundary change that will
occur 30 days after declaration from the Governor or after service district
annexations. The Washington w:st="on">County Board of Commissioners may consider, in an
action soon after the boundary change occurs, annexation of all properties in
Area 93 to some or all of the districts that would typically serve urban
unincorporated neighborhoods in Washington
. Annexation to
other service districts would typically happen in conjunction with development.


style='font-family:Calibri'>2. As soon as the boundary changes, the Washington
County Sheriff’s Office will provide primary police protection to Area 93, as
it does for all areas outside of cities countywide. Upon annexation to the
Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District, the w:st="on">Washington County
Sheriff’s Office will provide an increased level of law enforcement service –
approximately double that provided in rural areas -- for Area 93.


(Revised May 3)


See also:

What is the Future Development 20-Acre District (FD-20)?

Future Development 20-Acre District (FD-20) is a Washington County urban land use designation applied to unincorporated urban lands added to the Urban Growth Boundary after 1998. It is an interim designation that will remain in effect until Washington County completes its comprehensive planning for future urban development of the area. The intent of the FD-20 designation is to encourage and retain limited interim land uses, until the planning process is complete, at which time final land use designations will be applied to accommodate urban development.

See also:

How does FD-20 compare to your current RR zoning?

Washington County’s FD-20 is similar to Multnomah County’s RR zoning in several key respects:
• FD-20 also allows for a single-family dwelling on a vacant parcel.
• FD-20 also allows for accessory structures, such as storage sheds, greenhouses and workshops.
• FD-20 continues to allow farm use, as defined by Oregon Revised Statutes.

FD-20 allows some additional uses that are not allowed under current RR zoning, including:

• Church
• School
• Commercial equestrian uses
• Contractor’s establishment
• Cemetery
• Public utility

However, FD-20 has a 20-acre minimum lot size, and does not allow several of the conditional uses permitted in RR zoning, including:

• Community service uses
• Feed lots
• Commercial dog kennels
• Cottage industries
• Commercial processing of agricultural products
• Planned development for single family residences
• Raising of 4 or more swine more than 4 months of age
• Raising of fur-bearing animals for wholesale or retail sale

Will I be able to develop my property once the FD-20 designation is applied to it?

As noted, the FD-20 District has a 20-acre minimum lot size. Therefore, no division of land less than 20 acres in size will be allowed, and development of property within Area 93 will be limited to uses allowed in the FD-20 District until Washington County’s comprehensive planning for urbanization of the area is complete. The natural resource areas previously identified by Multnomah County will remain in effect as well. As a result of Washington County’s urban comprehensive planning for Area 93, the natural resource designations may change.

When will the community planning process start to identify permanent land use designations?

Phase 1: Project Initiation
Activities in this phase include:
• Develop a detailed project scope and task list
• Review, select and contract with selected consultants
• Develop a Public Involvement Plan
• Form separate or combined Community Advisory and Technical Advisory Committees
• Initiate project website
• Convene the first community-wide project introduction event

Phase 2: Preferred Concept Plan Alternative
• Assess existing conditions
• Develop concept plan alternatives
• Identify a preferred draft concept plan

Phase 3: Finalize Area 93 Concept Plan
• Builds upon Preferred Draft Concept Plan through continued community, stakeholder and jurisdictional partners’ review
• Feedback will be incorporated in a final concept plan

Phase 4: Adopt Comprehensive Plan Changes based on the Final Concept Plan
• Public hearings before the Planning Commission and Board
• Final result will be adoption of the Area 93 Concept Plan, including the application of final urban land use designations that will allow urban development

How soon would development occur?

Changing county boundaries in Oregon requires a change in state law. The 2013 Legislature will be considering specific legisla¬tion to adjust the boundary. To implement the boundary change, Multnomah and Washington counties would need to adopt a formal agreement by January 2014. Once an agreement is adopted, citizen input about the planning and development of Area 93 would take place over a one- to three-year period.

What kind of development is anticipated for Area 93?

Development is anticipated to be primarily residential, at densities consistent with the existing urban development in adjacent Washington County. If Area 93 is transferred to Washington County, it will be subject to the appropriate environmental standards and rules currently applied by Metro, Washington County, and Clean Water Services to protect stream corridors, water quality and wildlife habitat.

Will existing uses that don’t meet FD-20 standards be “grandfathered”?

Generally most existing uses could remain. However, this may vary depending on your specific situation. You may contact Senior Planner Suzanne Savin (503-846-3963) with questions on this issue.

Is Area 93 like that place in Nevada?


See also:

What impact would developing Area 93 have on traffic in adjacent neighborhoods?

Some increase in traffic is anticipated from new residential development in Area 93, primarily on Laidlaw, Thompson and Saltzman roads. Bringing Area 93 into Washington County allows the county to collect taxes and system development charges that will be used to improve these and other Washington County roads experiencing increased traffic.

Who would provide urban and other services as Area 93 develops?

Urban and other services would be provided by a wide range of Service Providers. These include:
Drinking Water
Storm & Sanitary Sewer
Fire Portection
Law Enforcement
Street Maintenance
Parks and Recreation

For a full list of service providers, please click here.

Arts & Culture

Does this include the new Reser Arts Center?

Patricia Reser Center for the Arts is part of the City of Beaverton. It is not part of the County's budget.


How do I access repair funds for my home?

Washington County provides funding for two housing rehabilitation programs for County residents outside of the city of Beaverton. A 3% deferred payment loan is available to homeowners based on income and asset limitations. The loan provides up to $25,000 to homeowners for home repairs such as new roofing and gutters, electrical and plumbing repairs, foundation repairs, and furnace replacement. For elderly and/or disabled mobile home owners and renters as well as homeowners there is a grant of up to $8,000 for such improvements as accessibility installations (wheelchair ramps, bath grad bars, door widening) and emergency repairs to roofing, heating, plumbing and electrical. This grant, “HARDE,” is also based on income and asset limits. Both programs offer one-time only assistance. For loan or grant information call 503-846-8215.

Who do I contact I am unable to pay my electric bill this month?

Please contact Community Action 503-648-6646.

I need cash assistance and or food stamps?

Please contact Community Action 503-648-6646.

For food stamps, here is a list of local Self-Sufficiency offices:

I need help paying my rent for this month.

Please contact Community Action for their emergency rent assistance at 503-615-0770.

I need more information on Section 8 housing?

Please contact Department of Housing Services at 503-846-4794.

How do I know if I am low/moderate income?

The following income standards are updated yearly by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. While this will give you a general idea of the income limits, it is best to contact the office directly in case there have been recent changes to the standards.

Income Guidelines Table


How do I find out about my GI bill (education)?

(Muskogee, OK, 2 hrs time difference)

Does the VA still loan money for small businesses?

No, but the SBA (Small Business Administration) does.
The numbers are:
Federal Government: 503-326-2682, Portland
State Government: 1-800-233-3306, Salem


Is "North Bethany" different than "Bethany'?

Since the subject 800-acre area of land located north of Bethany was brought into the Metro Urban Growth Boundary in 2002, it has been commonly referred to as North Bethany as a way to distinguish it from the already developed urban area. Ultimately, the comprehensive plan for North Bethany will be integrated with the county's existing Bethany Community Plan. While the comprehensive plan update will respond primarily to the new expansion area, the planning effort will take a comprehensive look at the larger vicinity. The planning vision is for North Bethany to be integrated with the existing Bethany Community.

How will the new development needs and impacts be paid for?

Preparing formerly rural land for urban development requires an investment in urban infrastructure improvements in order to adequately provide urban services. In addition, there will be impacts to existing infrastructure (such as roads) caused by future residents of North Bethany. Planning for new urban areas at this scale is unprecedented in Washington County, and the current structure to pay for new growth needs is designed to address incremental improvements. For North Bethany, a new approach is necessary. The planning work is being coordinated with a team of financial consultants to develop a funding plan that will address necessary costs. The Board of Commissioners has said they will only consider a land use plan for North Bethany if it comes with a companion funding plan for their consideration.

Why do we conduct concept and comprehensive/community planning?

1. To meet various applicable state, regional, county and community planning objectives.
2. To identify necessary urban infrastructure requirements, and
3. To ensure that provisions for such infrastructure to serve the greater North Bethany area are fully in place before development begins.

When can construction of urban development start?

Urban scale development may begin after the Board of County Commissioners adopts ordinances reflecting changes to the Washington County Comprehensive Plan, and after the Board comes to agreement on infrastructure financing. The county anticipates adoption in the fall of 2010, at which time property owners may submit development applications.


I have questions about my water bill; I want to hook up to get water service so who do I contact?

The answer to this question depends on where you live. If you live within one of the cities listed below, that's the number to call. If you live outside the city limits, you may be within the boundaries of Tualatin Valley Water District.

Banks: 503.324.6674
Beaverton: 503.526.2257
Cornelius: 503.357.9112
Forest Grove:   503.359.3221
Gaston:   503.985.3340
Hillsboro: 503.681.6163
LA Water Co-op:   503.662.3899
Laurelwood Wtr Users: 503.985.3135
North Plains:   503.647.5555
Portland:   503.823.7770
Sherwood:   503.625.5522
Tigard:   503.639.4171
Tualatin:   503.692.2000
Tualatin Valley Wtr Dist: 503.642.1511
(serves Aloha, Cooper Mountain, Rock Creek, Cedar Hills, Helvetia,
Metzger, Garden Home, Progress and some parts of Tigard)
Wilsonville: 503.682.1011

Both Levies (Public Safety and Library)

Why are local option property tax levies frequently put on the ballot each election?

Since Oregon voters approved Measure 50 in 1997, local governments and special districts in Oregon are prohibited from asking voters for increases in permanent property tax rates. When a permanent rate of a local government does not provide enough revenue to maintain service levels, local governments may ask voters to raise additional revenues through approval of a “local option levy.” Voter-authorized local option levies for general purposes, such as public safety or library services, are temporary and can be requested for a maximum of five years at a time.

See also:

If the Public Safety Levy is renewed or the Library levy is replaced by voters, when would a property owner need to make their first payment? What about the last one?

If either levy is approved by voters, taxpayers would see the Public Safety Levy on their property tax statement beginning in October 2016. The last payment would be on their property tax statement in October 2020.

What happens to the current Public Safety or Library levy if either measure is approved by voters?

The current five-year levies expire in June 2016 regardless of whether or not either of these measures is approved by voters.


Should the agreement grant independent budgeting authority to the Fair Board for spending on the Fair and Fairgrounds?

The Fair Board will retain broad discretion and authority to schedule, plan and execute the Fair event supported by an adopted County budget and guided by County policies.

Under the proposed agreement, the Fair Board (with County assistance) will prepare and present an annual Fair plan to the Board of Commissioners. The County, in collaboration with the Fair Board and the Fairgrounds Development Advisory Committee, will also prepare and present an annual Fairgrounds Facilities Maintenance/Improvement Plan. Based on these plans and an assessment of relative needs and priorities of the Fair and Fairgrounds, the Board of Commissioners will adopt a Fair budget. This budget will include funding for the Fair event, interim operations and facilities maintenance and improvements.

Under this model, the concept of independent budget authority is replaced with a commitment to broad stakeholder planning, vital partnerships and defined roles for plan execution and implementation. A renewed focus on collaborative planning, communication and partnership is needed to move the vision for a quality Fair event and Fairground facilities forward.


Why have professional engineers review the work of other professional engineers?

A jurisdiction's engineering reviewers are the building code experts and their work is counted on by the design community. While the design community is knowledgeable about building codes, they aren't necessarily experts, and it isn't their focus. Within the last 20 years there have been significant structural engineering code changes related to soils, landslides, earthquakes, wind, material capacity, as well as others. As a result, engineering requirements have become much more complex.

How long does plan review take?

We have a self-imposed commitment to complete initial plan review of residential structures within 10 working days of submittal and to complete the initial review of commericla structures within 20 working days of submittal. Plan review staff has succussfully met these commitments 90% or more of the time. Approval is granted once plans are deemed complete. Washington County's Plan Review process and turnaround commitments are very efficient compared to other departments of similar size.

What size shed can I put up in my backyard without a permit?

Anything under 200 sq feet and no taller than 10 feet in height from the finished floor level to the average height of the roof. Please check with Current Planning on the setbacks required for the building.

Where do I find foster care videos?

Click on foster care box.

Where can I find information about your Development Forums?

Development Forums provide an opportunity for our customers in the development and building industries to learn more about Washington County's development--related services and initiatives, processing timelines, and also provides a chance to network and provide valuable input. Look online at

What information needs to be shown on my plans?

Foundation Plan, Floor Plans, At least 2 complete cross sections in opposing directions, Roof plan, 4 Elevation views, Energy Compliance

Must jurisdictions review plans?  Why not just accept the design professional's submitted plan?

Jurisdictions are required by the state to enforce the state building codes. Plan review staff are trained and certified by the state in a wide array of state codes. Staff works closely with the design community to ensure that buildings are safe by seeing that they meet the state's minimum code standards.

Do I need a permit for a deck if it is ground level?

No, but please remember to check with the Current Planning division to see what the setback requirements are from the property line. Their phone number is 503-846-8761.

Are plans for residential sprinkler permits required to be stamped by a registered architect or engineer?

No, if the dwelling units are three or less.

Does Washington County issue permits for work done in Hillsboro?

No, work done within the city limits of Hillsboro is permitted through City of Hillsboro.

Do I have to have an architect or may I draw plans myself?

No, You may draw them yourself, please see our Residential Plan Review Checklist under Applications/Forms/Residential for a listing of what needs to be included in the plans.

Does staff redesign or re-engineer projects?

No. Staff is clearly directed by state statute to not provide design assistance. Staff identifies items that do not meet codes. If a customer believes staff is redesigning projects, please bring it to the attention of the Building Official.

What is the role of the plan review staff?

Plan review staff is an integral part of the building plan review process. Unlike the design professionals who submit the plans, plan reviewers are only concerned with compliance requirements of the codes - their job is to ensure that submitted plans meet the state's adopted minimum code standards.

Why does Building Services review building plans?

State codes have been developed and adopted to ensure that our built environment is safe. These codes establish the minimum acceptable standards. All jurisdictions in Oregon are required to enforce provisions of the state building codes. These include structural, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical codes. We review all plans for new building, building additions and remodeling projects that require building permits.

What happens if there is a difference of opinion about code requirements?

When staff identifies items on plans that they believe do not comply with code, staff provides the relevant governing code citation. Since our engineering review guidelines allow for interpretations by design engineer, if there is a conflict in opinion that is not absolutely clear in the code, staff will defer to the design engineer's determinations.

Do I need engineering for a free-standing sign?

Yes, if the height of the sign is greater than 6 feet from the bottom of the supporting footing to the top of the sign.

Are you improving the review process?

Yes. In 2009 we began an overhaul of our review process to improve our services. Improvements we have made include reducing our timeline for completing reviews, creating engineering fire, life, and safety review guidelines, and improved communication with customers.

Do I need to get a permit to move a wall in a commercial building?

Yes. The movement of walls may result in the change of a path of egress or a reduction of the integrity of a fire rated wall or corridor, and therefore is required to be permitted.

Are state codes applied consistently by local agencies?

Yes. Washington County staff regularly meets with other Building Officials across the region and state to ensure all jurisdictions interpret codes and regulations consistently.

Business Personal Property

How much are my business personal property taxes for this year?

Your total tax amount is indicated on the front of your tax statement. To receive a 3% discount, payments must be postmarked by November 15, 2021. "Payment Instructions and Schedules" are clearly printed on the back of the statement. The county Tax Collections office accepts cash, check, money order, VISA/MasterCard, Discover, and American Express as forms of payment. A 2.45% (minimum $1.50) convenience fee will apply to all credit card payments. All payments are processed upon receipt. The county will accept a check or money order for payments by mail. The county will accept credit cards, debit cards or e-checks for online payments via the internet. There are two drop box locations in the Public Services Building, 155 N First Ave,. Hillsboro- Parking Lot Rear Entrance (24-hour drop site) and Public Service Building front entrance lobby outside of Suite 130 (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)

See also:

I sold the business personal property and/or closed, sold or moved my business I still liable for the tax?

YES. If you owned the business personal property on January 1st, you or your business is liable for the tax to the county in which the assets were located on that date. If you sell or close your business, notify the county immediately to avoid additional tax liability for future years. Notify the county of any change(s) and note the change(s) in the designated area of your personal property return or tax statement.

See also:

What if I sell my business?

Call, write or contact our office if you sell your business at:
Washington County Personal Property
155 N. First Ave., Ste. 200
Hillsboro, OR 97124-3072
Telephone: (503)846-8838

Why did I receive a business personal property tax statement?

Our records indicate you or your business owned or possessed taxable business personal property in Washington County on January 1st.

Why do I have a "late file" penalty on my statement?

Penalties are incurred when the annual Confidential Personal Property Return is filed late. Returns are to be filed on or before March 15th to avoid "late file" penalties. Extensions are no longer available. For questions regarding "late file" penalty calculations please call the Business Personal Property office at (503)846-8838.

Is business personal property taxable?

Yes. Under Oregon law, business personal property (machinery, equipment, furniture, fixtures, tenant improvements, and other business assets) is taxable. This includes any property currently in your possession, in use, idle, or in storage on January 1st.

Why did my business personal property taxes increase from last year?

Your taxes may have increased due to one of, or a combination of, the following:

  1. Additional property or replacement property added to your equipment list
  2. A "late file" penalty was included on your account
  3. An increase in tax rates and/or voter approved levies or bonds

What happens if I do not pay my business personal property taxes?

If you chose not to pay the taxes by the date due, interest will accrue, and the county may:

-Issue a warrant.
-Seize, sell, or garnish your assets.
-Attach a lien to your real property.

How were my business personal property taxes calculated?

In processing your Annual Confidential Personal Property Return, the total depreciated value of your itemized assests is multiplied by the rate of your tax code area resulting in your business personal property tax bill.

What if I have delinquent taxes for prior years?

Taxes become delinquent whenever any installment is not paid timely. Delinquent taxes will be noted on the front of the tax statement under the amount listed in the "Payment Options". Call the Tax Collections office with any questions at (503)846-8801.

Can I appeal either the value and/or the penalty?

Yes. See the back of your tax statement to learn how to appeal the value and/or the penalty. For more information and/or petition forms refer to our website or call 503-846-3854.

See also:

Cartography & Mapping

How does a street get vacated?

Contact the County Surveyor's office at (503)846-7933. This office will review the process and answer any questions you may have.

How do I change a school district boundary?

Most school district boundaries were formed in the early 1900's and followed the property boundaries of large farm parcels. Today, many properties have subdivided, and as a result, one may find that homes across the street from each other may have children going to different schools. To inquire about the possibility of a school district boundary change, contact your local Education Service District.

See also:

How do I know what taxing districts I live within?

Your tax statement contains a break down of each of the districts that your property is located in, and how much you pay into each district. Summary of Assessment & Tax Roll contains a complete listing of the taxing districts and each of their respective rates. Additional information may be obtained by contacting our Tax Collections office at (503)846-8801.

See also:

Case Trends

Where are our positive cases coming from? Industry? Businesses? In home social gatherings? Also, what is the situation of bed availability in our hospitals?

There is significant community spread so we are seeing COVID-19 cases in many work settings and in social gatherings. That is why we are stressing the importance of taking all precautions: wear a face covering, physically distance yourself and wash hands frequently.

The hospital bed capacity is very limited. Some area hospitals have begun to limit elective surgeries. Additionally, planning has been undertaken to be prepared for further changes if needed. One of the biggest concerns is having enough staff to provide care.

Find more information about case trends on the county's COVID-19 Data page.

Child Support

How do I get a child support order enforced?

There are many tools available to the Child Support Program to enforce child support and medical insurance. These include sending monthly billing statements to the non-custodial parent showing the current amount due and any past due amounts, income withholding, collecting federal and state tax refunds to pay past due support, placing liens on property, garnishing other assets, license suspensions, credit reporting and court proceedings. See also:

See also:

How do I get a child support order modified?

You may ask for a review of the child support and/or medical child support terms of your support order. The review will begin only if: 1. It has been at least 36 months since the date the support order was entered, reviewed or last modified; or 2. You can show proof there has been a substantial change of circumstances. This could mean a change in custody, the needs of the child(ren), or the number of children covered by the support order. It could also mean a significant change in a parent’s income, or a change in medical child support. See also:

See also:

How do I get a child support order?

Applications for child support services are made through the Oregon Department of Justice, Division of Child Support. Using information we obtain along with what you provide, we use a formula called the child support guidelines to determine the child support amount. See also:

See also:

If you can not help me with child support, who can?

Division of Child Support (link below)

See also:

Do you mediate child support or property issues?

No. We only mediate custody and parenting time plans


Having lived in non-incorporated Washington County where there was, essentially, no internet. How is Washington County reaching out to those that don't have internet, either due to cost or availability?

Washington County is communicating through all channels possible (print media, radio and TV) not only through social media and web pages. This information is being provided in multiple languages. We create and provide messages to others such as faith leaders and community-based organizations to share through their channels. Oregon Health Authority is also messaging through television and other means.

Community Corrections Center

Can I put money on a residents "books", or give them money?

The WCCCC does not have any "books" accounts for residents. The only item that residents can use money for in the center is to add money to their Intelmate phone account, other than that there is nothing else that residents are allowed to buy in the center. Staff will not accept money drop-offs. Cash will be allowed to be given to residents during visitations only, up to the maximum amount of $40.00. Excess amounts must be in form of checks, money orders, or cashier checks.

See also:

How do I get personal property that was collected and stored at the WCCCC?

Property will be stored at the WCCCC for 30 days after release of custody. Past residents can come in to pick up property with proper identification. If you are picking up property for a past resident who is back at the Washington County Jail, you will need to come into the WCCCC, get a release of property form and have it signed by the resident; thus allowing the WCCCC to release any and all property to you with appropriate identification. If property is not collected within the 30 days after being release from custody; the property will be donated/disposed of.

See also:

How can I contact a resident at the CCC, can I leave a message?

Due to the number of residents residing at the WCCCC, personal phone calls and messages are not accepted. Emergencies and employment related phone calls will be relayed to residents at the discretion of staff.

See also:

Are residents allowed to come and go as desired?

No. Residents must obtain approved passes from their counselors prior to leaving the WCCCC facility. Most residents will be eligible for passes after their initial "black-out period".

See also:

Can residents call from the WCCCC?

Residents have access to a phone in their dorms in which they are allowed to use during the hours of 9AM to 10PM. The phone system allows pre-paid accounts and collected calls. Family and friends may placed money through either the internet, phone, or kiosk located in the visitors room at the WCCCC. Please visit resident's phone system page for more information.

See also:

How do I find out when someone is being transferred to the WCCCC?

This information is not available to the public, it is based on many factors including bed availability, approval by the Courts and the Washington County Jail.

See also:

Can I give a resident rides to work or on any other passes?

Yes, all rides will need to be pre-approved through resident's counselors.

See also:

Are residents allowed to smoke cigarettes while residing at the WCCCC?

Yes. Residents are allowed to smoke during designated outdoor courtyard breaks. Residents are only allowed commercial cigarettes, no loose tobacco, pipes, or cigars permitted. Due to current Oregon law, residents under the age of 21 may not receive cigarettes in a property drop.

See also:

Community Outreach

How can I help prevent crime in my neighborhood?

The Community Outreach Resources and Education Team gives numerous presentations to community and civic groups in English or Spanish. Topics such as Personal Safety, Home Security, Identity Theft and Neighborhood Watch are given frequently. Other topics are available as needed, and new programs are developed to address new crime trends.

How do I get the future dates for upcoming self defense courses?

Visit our Self Defense page.

See also:

Concealed Handgun License

B)  How do I apply for a concealed handgun license?

Applications are available: 1) Online using the link below, 2) In person at the Sheriff's Office in Hillsboro or at East Precinct in Beaverton - see locations link below, or 3) By mail - you may call (503) 846-2761 to request an application be mailed to you. Your first step in this process is to meet the handgun competency requirement, see Frequently Asked Question C) below. Next, review the disqualifications listed in Question D. Scheduled appointments are required for all new applicants - please visit: to schedule or call 503-846-2761.

See also:

C)  How do I satisfy the competency requirement?

Please do not apply until you have met the competency requirement in one of the following ways:

• Complete a hunters' safety course approved by the Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency, if handgun training was a component of the course.

• Completion of any firearm safety or training course available to the general public offered by law enforcement, a community college or private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, if the instructors were certified by the NRA or a law enforcement agency and if the course had a handgun safety component.

• Complete a handgun safety class taught by an NRA certified instructor. Certification or card issued must be presented at the time of your scheduled appointment. Contact local gun dealers for class referrals.

• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety offered for security guards or other law enforcement officers. Certification must be presented at your scheduled appointment.

• Provide a copy of your DD214 if it indicates you have been trained with a handgun, sidearm or pistol. If your DD214 does not indicate handgun training, we will be unable to accept this as proof of your competency.

• Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military experience.

D)  What will disqualify me from obtaining a concealed handgun license?

Oregon law prohibits the issuance of a concealed handgun license to anyone: • who is currently on any form of pretrial release. This may include forms of court ordered diversion. • who has had a misdemeanor conviction within the past four years. • who has been convicted of a felony. • who has a current warrant for their arrest. • who makes false statements on the application. • who could be a danger to self, others or the community as a result of their mental or psychological state, or as demonstrated by a past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence. • who is the subject of a restraining order or protection order. See ORS 166.735, 30.866, 107.700 to 107.732, or 163.738. • who has had a dishonorable discharge from the US Armed Forces. • who is a registered sex offender. • who was convicted as a juvenile of a crime that if committed by an adult would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence and was under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within the past 4 years. • who is not yet 21 years of age. • who has been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances, or has been sentenced to a drug diversion program in any state other than Oregon, or has been convicted more than once of a drug related offense, or sentenced to a drug diversion program in the State of Oregon. • who has not met the conditions of application. You are also ineligible for a concealed handgun license if you are not a US citizen, unless you are a legal resident alien who can show documentation of continuous residency in the country for at least six months, and have declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship. You must be able to provide proof of the written declaration.

F)  How much does a concealed handgun license cost?

Fees Before September 25, 2021 As of September 25, 2021
New Applicant $65.00 $115.00
Renewal $50.00 $75.00
Transfer $30.00 $30.00
Transfer with Renewal $65.00 $90.00
Change of Address and/or Name $15.00 $15.00
Duplicate Cards $15.00 $15.00

H)  What are the hours of operation for the Concealed Handgun Unit?

For new licenses, renewals, and transfers, the CHL unit is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with the last appointment offered at 4:00. Please call ahead at (503) 846-2761 or visit our website to schedule your appointment. License holders wishing to get a replacement card or have their address changed may mail an application with the updates. See the instructions on our web page.

M)  Where is your office located?

The Washington County Sheriff's Office is located at 215 SW Adams in Hillsboro.

No person may bring a firearm or weapon into that portion of this building occupied by the Washington County Circuit Court, except for a peace officer or federal officer on official duty. Violating these provisions may result in your arrest for a Class C Felony, and could also result in your being found in contempt of court. ORS 166.370 and Uniform Trial Court Rule 6.180.

No person may bring a firearm, weapon or other contraband into the secured perimeter of the Washington County Jail, and all visitors to the jail must go through a security screening and metal detector. Knowingly introducing contraband into a correctional facility is a Class C Felony. ORS 162.185.

All persons entering these premises may be subject to audio or visual surveillance.

See also:

N)  How do I transfer my concealed handgun license from another county into Washington County?

Call this office at (503) 846-2761 or visit the online scheduling website to schedule an appointment to transfer your license to Washington County. You must meet one of the residency requirements list under Question Q) below. During your appointment we will check your concealed handgun license, citizenship documentation (see Question A), and Oregon driver's license and take your picture. Plan to spend about 15 minutes to be processed.

O)  Even with a concealed handgun license, where can I not carry a firearm?

Oregon law provides some limits on where a person with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) can carry a firearm, and federal laws contain a few more prohibitions. Even if you have a Concealed Handgun License, you cannot carry a firearm on any of the following properties:

• Federal facilities - federal courthouses, social security offices, in secured areas of airports, and on airplanes

• State Capitol Building

• National forests marked or posted by signs prohibiting all firearms

• Public schools - signs posted prohibiting all firearms

• Designated wilderness areas (where a specific declaration has enacted a restriction or prohibition of firearms)

• Indian reservations or Indian property - you may not carry a firearm concealed without the written permission of the tribal judge; this may also apply to certain casinos on Indian lands. We advise people to contact the individual tribe to determine what the current rules are for that location.

• Courts - in a courtroom, jury room, judge's chambers or adjacent areas that the presiding judge determines should be free of firearms to ensure the safety of the litigants, court personnel, witnesses and others

• Private property where the owner prohibits firearms possession

No person may bring a firearm, weapon or other contraband into the secure perimeter of the Washington County Jail, and all visitors to the jail must go through a security screening and metal detector. Knowingly introducing contraband into a correctional facility is a Class C felony.

See also:

Q)  How do I meet the residency requirement to apply for an Oregon license issued by Washington County?

You may apply for a Washington County-issued Oregon concealed handgun license by meeting the residency requirements as stated in ORS 166.291(9):

• Possess a Current Oregon driver’s license showing a residence in the county.

• Be registered to vote in Washington County and have a precinct memorandum card showing a residence address in the county.

• Provide documentation that you currently own or lease real property in the county.

• Provide documentation that you filed an Oregon tax return for the most recent tax year with a residence address in the county.

R)  Can I apply for an Oregon license issued by Washington County if I live in another state?

Oregon law states that a sheriff may waive the residency requirement for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. Washington County may consider your application if you live in a contiguous state, meet all the requirements, and write a letter stating a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need that exhibits a correlation to Washington County. Your statement must be submitted with your completed application.

P)  How will I find out if my application was denied or my concealed handgun license was revoked?

If we deny your application or revoke your license, we will serve you in person or send you a certified letter stating the reason(s). If you disagree with our decision, you may appeal to the Circuit Court.

I)  Do I send money with my application?

No. Please bring a personal check made payable to Washington County, a money order, or cash to your appointment. This payment is non-refundable.

T)  My license has expired; do I need to take the concealed handgun license safety class again?

No. There are no penalties for letting your license expire. However, without a license, you have no authority to carry concealed. If you wish to renew your license, please call (503) 846-2761 or visit the online scheduling center to schedule an appointment.

See also:

A)  What documents will be accepted as proof of US citizenship?

Only original documents are acceptable (No photo copies accepted) • Birth certificates issued by state Vital Statistics • Valid US issued passports • Naturalization papers or certificate of foreign birth of a US citizen

S)  Where can I read the Oregon concealed handgun law?

ORS 166.291 is available at Scroll through the index and then down to the section you want to review.

See also:

J)  When should I arrive for my license appointment?

Please arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.

K)  My handgun license is going to expire within the next few months, will I get a reminder letter?

Reminder letters are sent to the current mailing addresses on file. However, it is still your responsibility to make sure your license is current and valid when you carry a concealed handgun.

E)  Where can I take a class to meet the requirements for a Concealed Handgun License?

Visit the Oregon Sheriffs' Association website to take the Concealed Handgun License Course at or contact your local gun dealer and let them know you are interested in obtaining a handgun safety course for a concealed handgun license.

L)  If I change my address do I need to contact anyone?

Yes. You are required to complete a change of address form and mail to:

Washington County Sheriff's Office
CHL Unit
215 SW Adams Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123

The change of address fee is $15. If you move out of Washington County you will need to contact your current county of residence and make arrangements to transfer your CHL to that county.

G)  How long is my license valid?

Your concealed handgun license is valid for four years from date of issue. However, an arrest or involvement in criminal activity may result in revocation.


Construction without a permit

Land development and construction without required permits is a violation of both the CDC and the Building Code. Proper permitting ensures public health and safety is maintained. Building plan submittal and the issuance of required permits will be retroactively required as applicable. Contact Building Services for specific permitting requirements or Current Planning to report unpermitted work.

Accessory structures

Accessory structures (play structure, trellis, shed, etc.) are required to meet setback requirements from property lines. Waivers are not permitted. Each land use district (zone) in the County has unique setback requirements. Building permits may be required for accessory structures. Contact Current Planning for details.

How can I find out more detailed information about an upcoming project in my neighborhood?

Capital Project Management holds public meetings to inform residents about upcoming projects in their neighborhoods. All residents effected by the project, will be invited. These meetings are usually an informal affair where you can ask questions one-on-one with a staff person, review maps, and talk to right of way personnel.

Construction noise outside of allowed hours

Construction noise is allowed between 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday. To report crews generating noise outside these hours, file a complaint with Health & Human Services code enforcement.

Who do I call if my windshield is chipped by a rock while following a construction truck?

Contact our Capital Project Management office (503) 846-7800. It's helpful if you can tell us where and when the incident took place and the name of the company or business listed on the construction truck (if known).

Grading permits

Grading permits are often required for digging and/or fill placement associated with any development activity or land use approval. Email Building Services or call 503-846-6733 before beginning any work.

When will construction start?

Once the construction contract is awarded, Capital Project Management will send letters to all residents within the project limits notifying them that they have 30 days to remove any personal belongings from the County's right-of-way. The project will begin soon after the 30 days has elapsed.

How early in the morning and late at night can road construction occur?

Our specifications state "No construction shall be performed within 300 meters (984 feet) of an occupied dwelling unit on Sundays, legal holidays, and between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. on other days, without approval of the Engineer." There are also other requirements for specific activities such as pile driving and rock crushing operations.

Agricultural buildings

Structures outside the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB) over 400 square feet and/or more than one story high require an Agricultural Building permit from Building Services. Use of these structures by the public or conversion of these structures to a residential-type use is prohibited.

Construction Plans

How do I obtain a plan holders list for a project that is out for bid?

A plan holders list can be obtained by logging on to ORPIN @ Http:// Go to the project page that is out for bid and look in the "attachements" folder. The plan holders list is updated twice a day. If you need more information about loging on to ORPIN call (503)846-7800.

How do I get a set of plans for upcoming construction projects?

Once a project is advertised for bid, plans can be found on the state's Oregon Procurement Information Network (ORPIN) or you can call Capital Projects at (503) 846-7800. You may also come to our office at 1400 Walnut Street in Hillsboro, Oregon (check in with the second floor receptionist) and review them here, or purchase your own set for a nominal fee.

See also:

Crime Information

I have received a subpoena - now what happens?

You may be subpoenaed to testify as a witness in a case if you are a victim, saw what happened or have other information related to the case. Your subpoena will tell you the date and time to appear in court. Unless you are instructed otherwise, you should report to the District Attorney's Office at the time indicated on the subpoena. Arriving promptly will give you time before going to court to talk with the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case and get some idea of what to expect in court. See also:

See also:

How do I report a crime?

Contact your local police agency to report a crime. If this is an emergency - call 9-1-1 immediately.

Criminal Prosecution

What is Grand Jury?

The grand jury is a group of seven citizens who are selected from the jury pool to hear evidence on crimes committed in Washington County. After hearing the testimony of the witnesses, the grand jury decides whether or not to issue an indictment (file charges) against the defendant. Grand jury proceedings are not held in a courtroom and no judge is present. Under most circumstances, the only persons permitted to attend the grand jury hearing are the grand jurors, the District Attorney and the witnesses, who testify one at a time. Neither the defendant nor the defendant's attorney is allowed to be present while witnesses are testifying.

What can I do if I'm a victim of identity theft?

1. Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus (the numbers are listed on the Identity Theft Resources page). Request that a "fraud alert" be placed in your file, including a statement that creditors should get your permission before opening any new accounts in your name. At the same time, ask the credit bureaus for copies of your credit reports. They must give you a free copy if you believe it to be inaccurate because of fraud. Review the report carefully to make sure no additional fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name or unauthorized changes made to your existing accounts. In a few months, order new copies of your reports to verify your corrections and changes, and to make sure no new fraudulent activity has occurred. 2. Contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department, and tell them what has happened. Record who you spoke with and when; and ask them for their direct phone number. Finally, follow up your conversation with a letter. Following up with a letter is one of the procedures spelled out in the Fair Credit Billing Act for resolving errors on credit billing statements, including charges that you have not made. 3. File a report with your local law enforcement agency, or the agency located where the identity theft occurred. Keep copies of this report because some creditors may want proof. See also:

See also:

What do I do if I've been sexually assaulted?

Please file a report with your local law enforcement agency, or the agency located where the assault occurred. If the assault happened less than 84 hours ago or if you sustained injuries you should have a medical examination. If you are 14 or younger, please go to CARES Northwest, located at Legacy Emanuel Hospital (503) 331-2400. If you are 15 or older, please go to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center (503) 216-2861. See also:

See also:

What is an expungement? How do I get one?

Oregon law allows a person to apply to set aside the record of an arrest and certain convictions. Expungement is the process by which a criminal conviction and/or arrest is destroyed and erased from court records. The court orders official records sealed and it is as if the violation leading to the arrest or conviction did not occur. Some crimes may not be expunged. The Oregon Statute outlining this process is ORS 137.225. The website for Washington County Circuit Court has additional information and forms. See also:

See also:

What can I expect from the criminal case process?

A criminal case will go through many of the following phases: investigation, arrest, filing criminal charges, arraignment, preliminary hearing, Grand Jury, entering a plea, pre-trial negotiations, trial, civil compromise, sentencing, appeal. See also:

See also:

What should I do if I suspect a child I know is being abused?

In Washington County you should report abuse to the DHS Office by calling their dedicated child abuse reporting hotline at 503-681-6917. Their main number is also available toll free at 1-800-275-8952. Both numbers are available 24 hours a day. See also:

See also:

What are Measure 11 crimes?

Measure 11 is a 1994 ballot initiative that established mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes and serious sex offenses only. It does not apply to drug crimes or property crimes. See also:

See also:

What do I do if I get a subpoena?

Your subpoena will tell you the date and time to appear in court. Unless you are instructed otherwise, you should report to the District Attorney's Office at the time indicated on the subpoena. This will give you time before going to court to talk with the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case and get some idea of what you will be asked in court. See also:

See also:


Can I donate my vehicle to help the animals at the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter?

Yes! Cars Furr Care is the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter's vehicle donation program.

Our program accepts donations of vehicles -- cars, motorcycles, trucks, RVs, boats, ATVs and other vehicles. When you donate your vehicle, it is sold at auction. Then, we designate the proceeds from the sale for veterinary medical care for the sheltered animals. Your vehicle does not have to run to qualify, but it must have an engine and be towable. You will need the title of the vehicle. For more information, call our shelter at 503-846-7041.

Will Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter pick up our large dog house or run?

We so appreciate the offer of the large equipment, but our staff is not able to travel to your residence to pick up your donations.

Simply bring your gently-used dog house or dog run or any other "Wish List" (see link below) item to the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter during regular business hours. Our front desk reception will issue you a receipt letter that you may use for your tax purposes.

If you are unable to deliver usable items to our animal shelter, see our link below on "GivSmart", our fundraising partner.

See also:

Is Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter a private nonprofit under 501(c)3?

Donations to our animal shelter are tax deductible. We are not a private, nonprofit organization. The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is a Washington County government agency; donations are deductible under the IRS code 170(c). Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay within our organization and help us care for the sheltered animals.

Is Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter a private nonprofit under 501(c)3?

Donations to our animal shelter are tax deductible. We are not a private, nonprofit organization. The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is a Washington County government agency; donations are deductible under the IRS code 170(c). Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay within our organization and help us care for the sheltered animals.

What kinds of goods do the animals need?

If you'd like to donate, cash is always welcomed. If you wish to give pet food or supplies, please see our "Wish List" below.

Simply bring the items on our wish list to the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter and place them in our lobby donation bins during regular business hours. Our front desk reception will issue you a receipt letter that you may use for your tax purposes.

See also:

Are donations to Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter tax deductible?

Yes! Cash and in-kind donations to our organization are tax deductible. Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay right here within our organization and help us care for all of the animals that come through our shelter each year. These animals include stray and injured animals that often need specialized care or treatments provided by our knowledgeable animal care and veterinary medical teams.

Are donations to Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter tax deductible?

Yes! Cash and in-kind donations to our organization are tax deductible. Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay right here within our organization and help us care for the 6,500 sheltered animals we receive yearly.

Drinking Water

Is my well water safe to drink?

The only way to tell if your drinking water is safe is by having it tested at a certified laboratory. Harmful bacteria, parasites, and viruses are invisible to the naked eye, so water that looks and tastes good may not necessarily be safe to drink. These microbes can exist in surface and groundwater supplies and can cause immediate sickness in humans if not properly treated. Certain chemical contaminants that are sometimes found in a water source can cause long term health problems that take years to develop. Frequent water testing will decrease the risk by identifying unsafe water and ensure that the treatment system is treating the water to a satisfactory level.

How often should I test my well water?

Private well water should be tested a minimum of once per year. Drinking water supplies obtained from shallow wells and surface water sources should be tested more frequently (i.e., seasonally), as they are more susceptible to contamination. It is important to test your drinking water at the tap and at the source. Testing both will help you determine if your water treatment system is performing correctly and if the quality of your source water has changed.

What tests are recommended for private well water?

For information regarding testing of your water for personal use, contact your county health department. For Real Estate transactions, tests for Arsenic, Nitrate, and Coliform Bacteria are required in accordance with Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR 333-061-0305 to 333-061-0335).

See also:

What does "for human consumption" mean when used to describe drinking water?

Human consumption means water used for drinking, personal hygiene, bathing, showering, cooking, dishwashing, and maintaining oral hygiene.

Where can I get my well water tested?

Sampling and testing of your well should be conducted by an Accredited Oregon Drinking Water Laboratory in your area. Some communities offer free screenings, through extension services, called "Test Your Well" events.

See also:

I had my well tested two years ago. Can those test results satisfy the requirements for selling my property? 

The law states that test results are valid for one year from the date of testing if they are associated with the sale of the property. (OAR 333-061-0325 (7)).

Eagle Landing Park

What are the hours at Eagle Landing Park?

Hours of operation at Eagle Landing Park is sunrise to sunset, every day of the year.

Is hunting allowed at Eagle Landing Park?

No, hunting is not allowed at Eagle Landing Park.

Are there sanitation facilities at Eagle Landing Park?

No, there are not sanitation facilities at Eagle Landing Park.

Are there concessions at the Eagle Landing Park?

No, there is no concessions at Eagle Landing Park.

Is there a user fee at Eagle Landing Park?

No, there is no user fee for Eagle Landing Park.

Is there overnight camping at Eagle Landing Park?

No. There is no overnight camping at Eagle Landing Park.

Are reservations required at Eagle Landing Park?

Reservations at Eagle Landing Park are only for special use events.

Is fishing allowed at Eagle Landing Park?

Yes, fishing is allowed at Eagle Landing Park. Refer to State of Oregon fishing and hunting regulations.

Can I park my canoe/kayak trailer at Eagle Landing Park?

Yes, you can park your canoe/kayak trailer at Eagle Landing Park, but only for the time the watercraft is in use.

Can I bring my pet?

Yes. Washington County leash laws apply at Eagle Landing Park.


Where can I learn more about how to help someone who is suicidal?

Crisis services are available 24/7 and can be reached by calling 503-291-9111. You can also learn how to help someone who is suicidal by taking a class. offers a number of trainings to help you learn how to spot warnings signs and help connect that person to support. Classes are available in both English and Spanish.

Do I have to make an appointment?

Teen Clinic is walk-in only. No appointments are made.

Will my parents find out if I go to this clinic?

The clinic is very careful about confidentiality. We will not send information to your home if you don't want us to. We will not give out information about your care unless you ask us to. You do not need your parent's permission to receive the services we offer.

How much will I have to pay?

The cost of services depends on your income. No one is denied services if they can't pay for them.

Can we get a speaker to talk to our group about substance use and potential disorders?

Yes! Call us at 503-846-4903 for more information and to schedule. We offer on-site presentations for virtually any group or organization within Washington County. The speaker can provide information about addiction and problem gambling. Evening and weekend presentations are available.

Can we have a tour of the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter?

Yes. Educating our community is vital. We do offer tours by appointment. If you are interested in learning more about the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter, you may email or call our office at 503-846-7041.

Can we have a tour of the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter?

Yes. Educating our community is vital. We offer tours on Thursday afternoons between 12pm and 5pm. If you are interested in learning more about the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter, you may email or call our office at 503-846-7041 and ask for Jose

Does the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter offer education in the schools?

Yes. Our goal is to teach children the importance of the "Golden Rule"--treat animals with kindness the way you want to be treated. Currently, we offer safety around dogs education and/or humane education on Thursdays. Call our front desk to schedule a classroom presentation at 503-846-7041 and ask for Jose.

Does the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter offer education in the schools?

Yes. Our goal is to teach children the importance of the "Golden Rule"--treat animals with kindness the way you want to be treated. Currently, we offer safety around dogs education and/or humane education. Call our front desk for more information 503-846-7041.

Do I have to have a pap test to get my pills?

You can start on most birth control methods by meeting with a nurse and talking about your health history. Eventually, you will need to get exams because it is really important for your health.

Election General Information

*What is a primary election?

Each major political party uses the Primary Election to nominate their party candidates for the November General Election. Each state has different rules governing Primary Elections. In Oregon, major parties have the option of choosing a "closed system," meaning only the registered voters in that party can vote for candidates of the same party. Or, a major party can choose an "open system" where the major party allows registered voters who are not registered with any party to vote for candidates in their party's Primary Election. Example of the "closed system": If you are registered with the Democratic Party, you may vote for Democratic candidates, nonpartisan candidates and local or state measures. You cannot vote for a candidate from any other party in the Primary Election. Example of the "open system": The Republican Party can announce they are going to "open" their Primary Election so people who are not registered with any party can vote for Republican candidates in addition to, the nonpartisan candidates and local or state measures.

*What is the Oregon Motor Voter Act?

Automatic voter registration is available if you are eligible* to register to vote and you apply for your original, renewal, or replacement license, permit, or ID card at the DMV. Once you engage the Oregon Motor Voter process by visiting the DMV, you will receive a card and a pre-paid postage return envelope from the Oregon State Elections Office. With this card, you have three options: Do nothing. You will be registered to vote as a nonaffiliated voter (not a member of a political party). Choose a political party by returning the card. Joining a political party will allow you to vote in its primary elections. Use the card to opt-out and decline to register to vote. Once registered, you will automatically receive a ballot and instructions in the mail about two weeks before an election. When you vote, your ballot is secret and your choices cannot be matched up with your name.

See also:

*How do I know if my ballot was received?

Go to the Oregon Secretary of State "My Vote" website. My Vote is a centralized system where you can search for your voting information.

In My Vote, you can: Check your registration status, Update your registration, Find a ballot dropsite, and/or track your ballot. Or call the County Elections Office.

See also:

*Do I Have to Re-Register for Each Election?

No. You only need to update your registration when: 1) Your residence or mailing address changes; 2) Your name changes; or 3) You wish to change your party affiliation.

See also:

*When will I know the results of an election?

Unofficial election results are first available after 8pm on Election Day. Results are updated as ballots are counted. Unofficial election results are posted on our website and are reported through many local media outlets. The Secretary of State has 30 days to verify and proclaim the official results for state elections.

*Is there someone who can help in Spanish?

Yes. The Elections Office has bilingual staff available to answer your election related questions in Spanish. Get in touch with our office.

See also:


What are the steps for emancipation of juveniles?

1. The youth must be at least 16 years old and their parents or guardians must reside in this county.
2. The youth must complete an application for emancipation and pay an application fee to the State of Oregon clerk.
3. The youth must give the notarized application and receipt for the payment of the fee to the Juvenile Department clerk.
4. The clerk will set a date for a preliminary court hearing, usually within 10 days. A notice will be sent to the youth and parents.
5. At the preliminary hearing, a Judge will explain emancipation, answer questions, and set a final hearing.
6. At the final hearing, a Judge will expect the youth to provide a written budget, give testimony concerning the application, provide the parents an opportunity to testify, and make a final decision.
7. If the Court grants the emancipation, a driver’s identification card must be received within 48 hours.

What is emancipation?

Emancipation means that a 16 or 17 year old person can be given certain rights and responsibilities of an adult or 18 year old person. This decision must be made by a judge.

Emergency Preparedness

How have emergency response agencies been preparing to address the possibility of a terrorist attack or natural disaster in Washington County?

Most experts believe that the chance of a bioterrorist attack in Washington County - or anywhere else in the world - is low. Yet a risk does exist. Many federal, state, and local agencies have been working together to prepare for this unwanted possibility.
In Washington County, several emergency systems are in place to quickly detect and respond to a possible public health emergency like a bioterrorist incident or an earthquake. Such a response would include:
* Coordinating efforts with other county, city, state, and federal agencies
* Alerting hospitals and the medical care community
* Communicating with the public
* Ensuring that appropriate medical care and prevention services are provided.

Is the County's water supply safe from a public health disaster?

* Most emergency preparedness experts agree that methods already in place to filter and clean the drinking water supply are effective against most biological agents. Chlorine, for example, protects drinking water from water-borne bacteria. Also, the large quantity of water in Washington County's water supply would significantly dilute a biological agent, limiting its potential to do harm.
* In the event of a flood in Washington County, guidelines have been established here.

Should residents store extra antibiotics to protect themselves against bioterrorism?

* It is strongly recommended that residents DO NOT stockpile antibiotics.
* Using antibiotics without a doctor's prescription may cause serious harmful reactions, including diarrhea, abdominal symptoms, rash, allergic reactions.
* Antibiotics have a limited shelf life and have expiration dates of effectiveness.
* Improper use of antibiotics may also cause the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of common bacterial diseases.
* Stockpiling could lead to shortages of national supplies that are maintained by the federal government for delivery in the event of a bioterrorist attack.

Should Washington County residents include gas masks when creating a 72-hour emergency kit?

* Purchasing gas masks for protection during a bioterrorist incident is discouraged.
* Unless a mask is worn all the time, which is impractical as well as dangerous, it will not protect against the release of biological agents.
* Improper use of gas masks can cause serious injury or accidental suffocation, especially among persons with heart or lung disease.

What is Emergency Preparedness?

Emergency preparedness involves advanced plans and actions necessary to respond to a possible or probable disaster. Preparation of an Emergency Disaster Plan is one component of emergency preparedness, but plans to include food, water, and sanitation equipment should also be developed.

What can county residents do to prepare for public health emergencies?

The best way for a family to be safe is to be prepared before any emergency occurs:
* Established guidelines on disaster preparedness recommend that families maintain a 72-hour emergency kit. (PDF)
* A family emergency contact list and meeting place (PDF) will help ensure increased safety of your loved ones.

Where can I get information about a 72 hour emergency kit?

Visit the Take 5 to Survive website at for additional information including a step-by-step plan to put your emergency kit together. See below for a direct link to this resource.

See also:


Do I need to submit anything else with my application?

If supplemental information or other materials are required as part of an application, it will be indicated on the job posting. The supplemental materials are necessary to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities. In order to be considered, you must thoroughly complete an application. We do not accept resumes in lieu of an application.

Copies of any required licenses, transcripts or certificates that have been identified in the recruitment announcement should be submitted immediately in order for your application to be accepted.

Note: All applications and supplemental materials must be received by the Human Resources Division on or before the filing deadline.

What is the hiring process?

Positions are posted for a minimum of fourteen calendar days, with the exception of transfer opportunities. Applications are received and evaluated, applicants are notified of status, and a list (or pool) of eligible candidates is created. When a department has a vacancy, the list of top ranking applicants is provided to the requesting department. The hiring department will determine those candidates who are most qualified for its particular vacancy through any combination of the following: application review, interviews, performance test, reference check, background investigation, or other job-related assessment process.

Are there any pre-employment requirements?

If applicable, some positions require successful completion of pre-employment, post-offer medical examinations which can include drug and alcohol screening, a physical capacity test, background investigation, psychological evaluation, and criminal background investigation. All candidates must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job as stated in the classification specification of the position.

What is an open or a promotional recruitment?

Applications are accepted only for jobs open for recruitment. Washington County has three types of recruitments:

Open Recruitment – An open recruitment is open to any candidate who wishes to apply for the position vacancy or to be placed on an eligible list for future vacancies. Candidates must apply during the period that the recruitment is open. County employees who wish to promote within the county must also apply and compete in the open recruitments for which they wish to be considered.

Promotional Recruitment – Limited to employees in the County service who received their appointment from an eligible list, individuals on County reinstatement lists, employees on authorized leave of absence, and individuals on recall lists as a result of County lay-off. Applicants who terminate County employment will no longer be eligible for promotional recruitment pursuant to Washington County Rules and Regulations rule 4.2.9.

Transfer Recruitment – Limited to employees in the County service who occupy the classification identified on the job announcement or pay grade equivalent, or higher.

How can I find out about specific requirements or salary for a specific position?

This information is available on our class specification section of our Human Resources web page. Additionally, if we advertise a position vacancy, the job bulletin will contain full information of the skills typically required, as well as the salary range of the position. You can also contact the Human Resources Division directly for more information at (503) 846-8606 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, or

How can I become a Deputy District Attorney?

When Deputy District Attorney positions are available, they are posted on our website as well as through Career Services at the three Oregon law schools. If you are currently a member in good standing of the Oregon State Bar, you may submit an application and cover letter, with the information listed below. Our policy is to retain all applications pending a vacancy. When one occurs, we screen the applications on file and schedule interviews with selected candidates. In order to assist us in the evaluation process, please send us the following: 1. Grades from college and law school 2. Written recommendations from three individuals, two of whom are members of the legal profession. 3. An application form. See also:

See also:

How can I become a law clerk?

The Washington County District Attorney's Office hires law clerks on a year-long basis. Partnering with the three Oregon law schools, the interviewing process begins in January for positions that begin in June. To be eligible you must currently be enrolled in law school. Only students who will be second- and third-year law students will be hired as law clerks. For more information, visit our Law Clerks web page. See also:

See also:

What other jobs are there at the District Attorney's Office?

Clerical/Office Staff Job openings for support staff and other professional opportunities are posted through Washington County Human Resources. Open positions will be posted on the Human Resources Division Job Listing website. Volunteer and Internship Opportunities Our Victim Assistance Program is always seeking community volunteers and student interns interested in helping victims of crime. Visit our Volunteer & Intern web page in the Employment and Volunteer section, or contact the Volunteer and Intern Coordinator at (503) 846-3495 for more details about volunteer and internship opportunities. See also:

See also:

What happens if I'm selected by the hiring department?

After you are hired, you will serve a probationary period (equivalent to at least one year, some positions may require a longer probationary period if covered by a collective bargaining agreement) before you become a regular County employee. During this time your knowledge, skills, performance and work habits will be evaluated.

I have submitted my application - what happens next?

After you submit your application, it will be evaluated by an analyst. The evaluation is designed to assess applicants' job-related knowledge, skills and abilities to assure that the applicant meets the minimum requirements for the position as stated in the recruitment announcement. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive a notice that the minimum requirements have, or have not, been met.

How will I be notified regarding the status of my application?

All notices to applicants will be sent via email through our applicant tracking system (NEOGOV). Periodic recruitment updates are sent out through the life cycle of the recruitment.

How will I know when you're recruiting for a specific job?

All positions open for recruitment are listed online at You may also keep informed about positions by completing a job interest card.

I cannot access the online application. What should I do?

If you have problems while applying online, please contact the NEOGOV applicant support line at (855) 524-5627.

How old do I have to be to apply for a job?

Most positions require the candidates to be at least 18 years old unless otherwise stated on the Recruitment Announcement. One exception is law enforcement positions, which require the candidate to be at least 20.5 years old. Be sure to read the job announcement carefully to determine the age required for the position for which you are applying.

Can I transfer employment from another local government agency?

No, we do not have employment reciprocity with other public agencies.

What do I do if my mailing address has changed since I submitted my application?

Please contact Human Resources at (503) 846-8606 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, or

How do I apply online?

Please visit our employment opportunities page to see our latest job openings and to apply.

Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to be hired?

Washington County only hires U.S. citizens and individuals lawfully eligible to work in the U.S. Every new hire will be required to complete an Employment Verification Certification (Form I-9).

Individuals employed in executive-level positions or in positions subject to Peace Officer Standards and Training must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.

Does the County offer Veteran's Preference?

We encourage Veterans to apply for positions with Washington County. Please see details about application of Veteran's preference points and information about where to submit supporting Veteran documentation.

How can I be sure my online application was received?

When your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this message, please contact Human Resources at (503) 846-8606 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, or

I want to apply for several of the jobs listed. Do I need to submit a complete application for each job vacancy?

Yes. Every application is evaluated separately based on the classification (job description) for which you are applying.

How do I submit my application?

You can submit your application online, deliver it in person or mail it to the office address listed below. Application packets will be accepted as long as they are received and date stamped in the Human Resources Division by the application deadline listed on the recruitment announcement.

Human Resources Division
Washington County
155 N. First Avenue, Ste. 270
Hillsboro, OR 97124

How is my ranking for a position determined (eligible list)?

Your position in the employment/eligibility list is determined by your scoring in the "exam" process. The exam may be comprised of any or all of the following: evaluation of application materials to determine minimum qualifications, subject matter expert review of application material and supplemental responses, written exam, performance exam, and/or scored interview panel.


How are the COVID restrictions being enforced in Washington county?

Washington County Public Health staff provides technical assistance to all businesses in Washington County so that they understand the current executive orders and how to implement them. If anyone has concerns about a business, they should speak with the manager but they can also send a concern to us at Staff will contact the business. If we receive multiple complaints, we will also conduct a site visit and, if necessary, refer a business to state agencies that can do enforcement activities.

What if you have report[ed] on a work place several times and things are not being change[d] and still have new cases break out and worker[s] being put out of work due to work staff?

When we receive a report of a business or workplace who are not complying with the worksite sector guidance, we work with the worksite to ensure they understand the guidance. If they continue non-compliance, we report the violations to the appropriate state agency.

Find out more about how to comply with public health requirements and enforcement on the county’s COVID-19 Workplace Guidance page.


Tree removal

Trees located in County-designated Significant Natural Resource (SNR) areas cannot be removed without land use review and approval. In other areas, tree removal is typically at the discretion of a property owner and does not require a permit. Contact Current Planning to determine if any regulations apply before removing trees.

The County does not regulate tree removal on private properties as long as the designation above does not apply. Neighboring property owners who disagree with tree maintenance/removal are eligible for free mediation services through Beaverton Center for Mediation and Dialogue or Hillsboro Mediation Program.

Resource overlay zones

Some properties are subject to regulations specific to natural resources and flood plain enhancement and protection. Regulations apply for developments proposed on properties subject to the 100-year Floodplain Overlay, Drainage Hazard Area Overlay and Significant Natural Resource Overlay. Contact Current Planning to determine if any overlays are applicable.

Oil spills in street/driveway

Oil spills can be reported to Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality.

Roosters and poultry

Washington County does not regulate peacocks, roosters or the number of chickens. Structures over 51 square feet in size housing poultry need to be located at least 30 feet from any property line and at least 100 feet from any neighboring home. All structures must be a minimum of 3 feet from a property line and may be required to meet the (greater) district setbacks from all property lines.


¿Quién puede registrarse para votar?

Cualquiera que:

Sea residente de Oregon
Sea ciudadano de Estados Unidos; y
Sea mayor de 17 años

Usted puede registrarse para votar si ya cumplió 17 años o antes de jurar ser ciudadano de Estados Unidos, por lo menos 20 días antes de las elecciones, pero haber cumplido 18 años o haber jurado ser ciudadano americano para el día de las elecciones. Por favor llame a la oficina de su condado para averiguar si califica para su registro.

¿Qué información se requiere?

La nueva ley requiere que los votantes proporcionen identificación al registrarse para votar. Si usted tiene una licencia/identificación vigente del DMV, deberá proporcionar el número. Una licencia suspendida es valida, una licencia revocada NO lo es. Si no tiene una licencia/ID del estado de Oregon vigente, deberá proporcionar los últimos cuatro números de su Seguro Social.
Si no tiene una licencia/ID valida del Departamento de Motores y Vehículos del estado de Oregon o número de Seguro Social, deberá afirmar esto en su tarjeta de registro y si se registra por primera vez por correo, deberá proporcionar una copia de cualquiera de lo siguiente:
Identificación válida con fotografía
Talón de cheques de salario (nomina/payroll)
Recibo de servicios públicos (luz, gas, etc.)
Estado de cuenta bancario
Documento del gobierno
Prueba de elegibilidad como votante en la Militar/Ciudadano fuera del país
(UOCAVA) o votante de la tercera edad/discapacitado (VAEH)

¿A qué se refiere Elección Primaria?

Los partidos políticos mayores (Demócratas y Republicanos) eligen sus candidatos en la elección primaria, la cual ocurre el tercer martes de Mayo de cada dos años. Solo votantes que se han registrado como miembros de algún partido político podrán votar por los candidatos de ese partido, a menos de que los partidos abran la elección primaria para votantes registrados como Miembro de ningún Partido. Si éste es el caso, votantes como Miembros de ningún Partido, deben solicitar su boleta electoral de partidos mayores a la oficina de elecciones de su condado.
Todos los funcionarios que no pertenecen a un partido político (por ejemplo: jueces y abogados de distrito) también están en la boleta electoral de la elección primaria. Cualquier votante registrado puede votar para esos candidatos, sin importar su afiliación de partido político.

¿A dónde voy a votar?

En 1998 los votantes de Oregon aprobaron una medida que dió paso a las elecciones por correo. En lugar de usar las casillas tradicionales donde los votantes ejercen su voto, una boleta electoral es enviada por correo a cada votante registrado. La boleta es entonces retornada a la oficina de elecciones del condado perteneciente y contada el día de elecciones. Si prefiere, puede ir a la oficina de su condado a votar donde se instalan kioscos privados.

¿Cómo puedo saber si mi boleta electoral fue recibida?

Comuníquese con la Oficina de Elecciones de su Condado. Mantenemos un record de todo elector que ha entregado una boleta electoral.

¿Dónde puedo conseguir tarjetas de registro?

De la siguiente manera:

Oficinas de Correo
Departamento de Motores y Vehículos
Bibliotecas Públicas
En línea

See also:

¿Cómo debo votar en la boleta electoral?

De nuestra pagina inicial, haga clic en "Vote-By-Mail-Made-Easy", allí encontrará la versión en español.

¿Qué tipo de ayuda para votar ofrece el Condado de Washington?

La siguiente:

Folleto para Votantes del Condado de WashingtonVersión auditiva del folleto para votantes del Condado de Washington
TTY 503-846-4598 (Inglés solamente)
Si se solicita, impresión grande de las páginas de estilos de boleta electoral(Inglés solamente)
Línea de Internet
Si usted necesita, se le puede dar ayuda individual.·

¿Puedo transferir mi registro de otro estado?

No. Si usted desea votar en Oregon, debe registrarse en Oregon.

¿Tengo que registrarme con afiliación a un partido político?

No. Si usted no quiere tener afiliación con ningún partido político, deberá marcar el cuadro que indica Not a member of a Party o Miembro de ningún Partido. No podrá designar o cambiar partido político 21 días antes de la Elección Primaria.

¿Tengo que renovar mi registro para cada Elección?

No. Usted solo necesita renovar su tarjeta de registro cuando:

Su residencia o dirección de correo cambia
Su nombre cambia ; o
Desea cambiar su partido político

¿Cómo puedo cambiar mi voto?

Puede cambiar su voto siempre y cuando aun no haya regresado su boleta electoral.
Comuníquese con nuestra oficina para solicitar una boleta de reemplazo. No puede cambiar su voto después de haber regresado su boleta electoral.

¿Cuándo puedo registrarme?

Puede registrarse en cualquier momento. Sin embargo su tarjeta de registro para votar debe estar sellada por la oficina postal a más tardar 21 días antes de las elecciones en la que usted intenta votar.

¿Cuándo sabré los resultados de una elección?

Resultados no oficiales de la elección se encuentran disponibles por primera vez después de las 8pm el Día de la Elección. Los resultados son actualizados conforme se cuentan las boletas electorales. Puede llamar o consultar nuestra pagina electrónica.

El Secretario de Estado tiene 30 días para verificar y proclamar los resultados oficiales para las elecciones estatales. 

¿Hay alguien que me ayude en Español si tengo más preguntas?

Sí. La oficina de elecciones tiene personal bilingüe que está disponible para contestar sus preguntas relacionadas a elecciones en Español. Comuníquese con nuestra oficina.

¿Es mi voto secreto?

Su voto es secreto. Nadie sabrá cómo votó. Antes de ser abierto el sobre secreto que contiene su boleta electoral, es removido del sobre de identificación. Entonces su boleta electoral es contada.

¿Cómo puedo recibir mi boleta electoral en una dirección diferente que mi domicilio?

Usted debe enviar una notificación por escrito de su nueva dirección y las fechas aproximadas que estará vigente.

¿Cómo puedo registrarme?

Usted puede inscribirse en línea, enviando su formulario por correo, ó personalmente en la oficina electoral de su condado. También puede inscribirse en una agencia estatal correspondiente, incluyendo el Departamento de Motores y Vehículos, y algunas agencias de asistencia pública.

See also:


How do I know if I provided enough information?

Once a report is received, the reporter will be given a unique user name and asked to select a password. The user name and password will allow the reporter to return to the Ethics Matters system, either by Internet or phone, and access the report, and answer any questions posted by the Hotline Administrator. This step is critical to ensure that there is sufficient information to guide the investigation and address the reporter's concern.

Who receives the report of misconduct?

Once a report is filed, the system generates an email to the Hotline Administrator. The Hotline Administrator will work with the Hotline Advisory Committee to assign the investigation to an appropriate “receiving employee or official.” This employee or official will either conduct the investigation or assign it to another employee or agency as appropriate. The receiving or investigating employee will conduct an investigation in accordance with the requirements of the Reporting of Improper Governmental Conduct Policy. Upon conclusion of the investigation, a written report will be prepared. The report will summarize the allegations and findings.

What is the Ethics Matters Hotline?

A guiding principle for Washington County is for all County employees, officials and agents to commit ourselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct and to accept full accountability for our actions. The Ethics Matters Hotline is provided as a means for the public and employees to anonymously report allegations of governmental misconduct.

The Hotline provides both on-line (website) and operator-assisted (contact center) reporting options and augments other reporting options described in the Reporting of Improper Governmental Conduct Policy. The County will ensure that investigation and appropriate corrective action are undertaken in response to all reports received through the Hotline. The Hotline is administered by the County’s Controller through a third-party administrator.

The Ethics Matters Hotline is one avenue for the public and employees to report misconduct. Additional reporting options are described in the Reporting of Improper Governmental Conduct Policy.

See also:

How do I make a report using the Hotline?

You can file a report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone or by completing an online form. If you call the Ethics Matters toll free number, 855-236-6972, a live operator will walk you through the reporting process. If you use the online form, you can access the Hotline’s website from any computer with internet access. The web address is

Note: When filing a report online, you are able to attach electronic documents to support your concern.

See also:

If I give my name when reporting, am I protected from retaliation?

County policy and the State of Oregon’s Whistleblower Statute (ORS 659A.199 - 236) protects employees from being disciplined, discharged, or subjected to threats, or otherwise discriminated against in retaliation for bringing forth, in good faith, charges of unlawful conduct or conduct in violation of any County policy, directive, ordinance, or Charter provision by any officer or employee of Washington County.

See also:

Can I be identified by a server log that shows every web site that my PC connects to?

EthicsPoint, the vendor providing this hotline service, does not generate or maintain any internal connection logs with IP addresses, so no information linking your PC to EthicsPoint is available. However, the County’s network may be able to gather this information. If this is a concern, you can file a report online from home, or any internet portal.

What types of issues are appropriate for reporting through the hotline?

The hotline is intended as a vehicle to report Improper Governmental Conduct, including: 1) abuse of authority, 2) gross waste of funds, 3) mismanagement, 4) theft or misappropriation of County assets; and 5) violation(s) of County policy, State and/or Federal law(s).

What if the report I am submitting involves an elected official, executive manager or my supervisor?

The system is programmed not to send a report to a person who is the subject of the complaint. The person will not receive the notification email and will not be able to view the report. The Ethics Matters procedures describe the manner in which reports will be assigned to an appropriate employee or official for investigation.

Will the County investigate my report?

Yes, reports of misconduct will be reviewed and investigated as appropriate.

Can I check on the status of the investigation?

Yes, you can log on using your unique user name and password and view the status of the investigation or you may also call the hotline to inquire about the status. However, no specific details of any on-going investigation will be provided.

See also:

Can I remain anonymous?

You have the choice to remain anonymous or you may leave your personal information that will be kept confidential.

Exposure Notification and Contact Tracing

What is the status of Washington county's contact tracing program?

With the high rates of infection in our county, and across the Portland metropolitan region, contact tracing has become less effective in stopping the spread of this disease. We are asking all individuals who test positive to immediately tell their own close contacts and ask that they go into isolation. Our focus is now on identifying high-risk cases and high-risk-outbreak scenarios to focus on stopping spread, and to provide financial supports for those who need support to complete isolation and quarantine. These efforts are now more important than contact tracing and daily monitoring. We would also urge that people follow the guidance in our after-testing guide.

Since Washington County has so many positive cases, will they be hiring more contact tracers?

Washington County has redirected our contact tracing staff to support other important work to help stop the spread of the infection, for example they are focusing on isolation and quarantine. Contact tracing has become less effective with high rates of community infection.

Find out more about exposure notification and contact tracing at the county’s COVID-19 Contact Tracing page.

Oregon now has an app, Oregon Exposure Notification to trace exposure and let people know if they have been exposed. It would be nice if you mention the app that is available on both Apple and Android.

The app is not available to everyone in Oregon, it is in pilot testing in our state. Hopefully it will be widely available soon.

Exposure in Our Homes

I want to understand more about the risk of exposure in our own homes.

There is a very high risk of transmissions in a home where someone is ill with COVID-19. We encourage that the ill individual is separate, if possible in a separate room, and use a separate bathroom. We encourage that only one family member cares for them and that everyone wears face coverings and are vigilant about hand washing and disinfecting the home.

Find out more about taking care of your household at the county’s COVID-19 Protect Your Household page.

Facilities Access

Will the County provide access and storage for user groups/stakeholders?

Absolutely. The County will continue to provide storage and access to the Fairgrounds. We will work with the Fair Board and other interested parties to develop appropriate guidelines and procedures.

Food Handler

Where can I pick up a copy of the Food Handler manual?

Food Handler manuals are avilable at Washington County's Evironmental Health office located in Hillsboro. The city libraries of Tigard, Hillsboro, and Beaverton have manuals available which can be checked out. Food Handler manuals are available for in-library use at the City Of Tualitin Library, City of Forest Grove Library, and several of the high school libraries in Washington County. You can also read the manual online or download it.

What are the "Demonstration of Knowledge" and "Person in Charge" rules in the food industry?

Oregon State law requires that restaurants have a designated "Person in Charge" (PIC) onsite during all hours of operation who can provide a "Demonstration of Knowledge" of the Oregon Food Code, including knowledge of foodborne disease prevention, application of Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) and the requirements in the food rule.

The Person in Charge may meet the demonstration of knowledge requirment in one of these ways:
  1) Being a certified food protection manager who has successfully
passed a test as part of an acredited program recognized by
the Oregon Department of Human Services.
  2) Correctly answering qeustions posed by the inspector.
  3) Compliance with the rule as exhibited by no critical
For more information about these rules, go to the State of Oregon's Fooborne Illness Prevention Program at

How should I study for the Food Handler test?

Before taking the Food Handler's Certification test, you should study the Food Handler's manua. The manual is available at these locations or online. The manual is available in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, and Korean.

How do I know if I need a Food Handler's card?

Food service workers are required to obtain a Food Handler's card within 30 days of beginning work. "Food Handler" means those persons involved in the perpartion or service of food in a restaurant or food facility licensed under ORS 624.020 or 624.320. This includes, but is not limited to, cooks, wait staff, dishwashers, bartenders, and bus persons.

Where can I take the Food Manager Certification Course?

In Oregon, Food Manager Certification is not requried by law. However, a Food Manager Cerfification Course can provide the information necessary to keep your food facility safe. Washington County Environmental Health Program offers training and certification. Food Manager Certificaton satisfies the Oregon Food Code, is valid for five years and also satisfies the Food Handler Certification.

How much does it cost to obtain a Food Handler's card?

It costs $5.00 to take the Food Handler's test and another $5.00 when you have passed to receive your card. The total cost is $10.00. The card is valid statewide for three years.

Are all online Food Handler card testing sites approved in Oregon?

No. There are a number of online courses that say, or imply, they are approved in Oregon but are not. Check the list at the Department of Human Services Foodborne Prevention Program before taking your test online.

How do I get my Food Handler card?

Study the Food Handler Manual and take the test. A passing score is 75% or higher.

How long is a Food Handler card valid?

The card is valid for three years from the date of issuance throughout the state.

How can I get a replacement for a lost Food Handler's card?

To obtain a replacement for your Food Handler's card, you will need to contact the Environmental Health Program where you orginally took your test. The cost is $5.00 and a valid photo ID is required.

Where can I take the Food Handler's certification test?

You can take the test in the office or at the following locations.


Why do kids join a gang?

Identity or recognition- Being part of a gang allows members to achieve a level of status they feel they cannot achieve outside the gang’s culture.
Protection- Kids join the gang because they live in a gang area and are subject to violence by rival gangs. Kids join in an attempt to obtain safety from this violence.
Fellowship and Brotherhood-The gang functions as an extension of, or substitute for the family and may provide companionship lacking in the home environment.
Intimidation- Some members may be forced into joining by peer groups. Intimidation techniques range from extorting lunch money to physical assault.

What are some signs that my child may be involved in a gang?

Change in life long friends
Change in style of clothing
Negative contact with people or authority
Being secretive from family and friends
Lack of interest in family/sports/community activities
Fear of going to school or lack of interest in getting an education
Drug or alcohol use
Poor school performance

What should I do if I think my child is in a gang or about to join a gang?

Notify your local law enforcement agency or the Washington County Sherriff’s Office Interagency Gang Enforcement Team, or the Washington County Juvenile Department.

Important Numbers:

Non-emergency Line: 503-629-0111

Interagency Gang Enforcement Team: 503-846-2700

Washington County Juvenile Department: 503-846-8861

What if my child is the victim of gang intimidation?

Notify your local law enforcement agency or the Washington County Sherriff’s Office Interagency Gang Enforcement Team, or the Washington County Juvenile Department.

Important Numbers:

Non-emergency Line: 503-629-0111

Interagency Gang Enforcement Team: 503-846-2700

Washington County Juvenile Department: 503-846-8861

General Fund

What is the difference between the numbers in the budget dashboard and the budget summary?

The Budget Summary Book is a published document consist of narratives and tables for the County’s budget summary. The budget dashboard is an online interactive tool that focus primarily on the data consist of the County’s budget.

What efforts have been made to include voices of the Small business that have been impacted? My question is how is County going to involve those impacted with more intention?

We know that our local small businesses and non-profit organizations are suffering extreme hardships as our community fights the spread of COVID-19. In response, Washington County has been working with our state and federal partners to identify short-term solutions, including several rounds of business grant opportunities. In partnership with the Chambers of Commerce in Hillsboro, Tualatin, Beaverton, and Adelante Mujeres, we’ve also created a network of Business Recovery Centers (BRCs) that offer free assistance and advocacy to businesses throughout Washington County.

The community input report from the WashCo Racial Equity Collaborative stated that the community wants a shift toward funding social services and away from funding policing. This is also backed by community organizations basing their proposals and demands

The general government and the public safety functional areas are the functions primarily supported by general fund revenues. The other functional areas like Housing, Health and Human Services, Land Use and Transportation and Culture, Education and Recreation have historically received larger proportions of federal and state funding as well as other revenues to support their operations. The Board of Commissioners are committed to centering community need in future versions of the County budget and will take all input into consideration in their spending decisions.

What is the current law around adopting a participatory budget process?

A participatory budgeting process is an administrative, not a Board, decision. If Washington County should move in this direction, I encourage you to reach out to the Board members as well as providing this input to our County Administrator, Tanya Ange. You can email the Board at: or County Administrator Tanya Ange and Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer Latricia Tillman at

Why was the CARES act money spent without community input?

The Coronavirus Relief Fund (which was the state and local share of the CARES act) was a program with very specific guidelines by the US Treasury, who administers the program. With a relatively tight timeline for expenditure of the funds, the Board directed the County Administrator to create an equitable framework for distribution of the funds that would provide the most positive impact and help the most people, with the following investment goals:
  • Protect public health
  • Stabilize our local economy
  • Support community-based organizations
  • Build public mental health and community psyche
  • For more on the County’s CARES Act Funds Allocation & Spending Priorities, please visit the Washington County CARES Act page.

If DEI is important to the County and Commissioner Rogers says the County is committed to it, do you believe that is reflective in the budget? Do you think you are doing enough? How are you measuring that?

The Board of Commissioners adopted an Equity Resolution in February 2020, which is an important first step, including the commitment to create and staff the new Office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement. The County has a lot of work to do in this area which will include building equity considerations explicitly and intentionally into the budget process.

Will the community input report written by the Racial Equity Collaborative regarding policing and the County chair's proposed increase to the Sheriff's budget by $1.5 million be taken into account for the 2021-2022 budget, along with the comments and inpu

Yes. In addition to the report from the Community Listening Sessions regarding the Body Worn Camera Program, there has been additional input from across the community, with varying opinions on this issue. At their December 15 business meeting, the Board voted to approve the expenditure of approximately $1.3 million over five years to provide full deployment of cameras for 210 deputies and upfit 129 patrol vehicles with related technology equipment. For more on their decision, please visit:

Does the County have follow-up information from the state mandated funding requirements alluded to at the last community investment conversation?

There are many areas where the County services are subject to certain mandates and statutes. Many of these services are funded partially by the State as well. The County has not assembled a list of the state-mandated services in the past but have plans to do so in the next fiscal year. In the meantime, the State/County Shared Services Chart maintained by the Association of Oregon Counties provides a very good overview of where state and County services intersect.

What will the budget be for the Equity office? With a dire need of diversity, equity and inclusion work to do, will Washington County distribute the expenditure report at the end on the next fiscal year?

Absolutely! The annual budget for the Office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement is $1.6 million. We will provide quarterly reports to the board on our progress as well as annual report for the public.

What are other models for allocating resources with a more equitable distribution of funds based on diversity, environmental issues, housing with a deemphasize of law enforcement budgets that other communities are trying?

County Administrator Ange, CFO Liang and Chief Equity Officer Tillman, are beginning to assess our budgeting process and will report to the Board in late 2021 with an analysis and recommendations.

How are EMS and Fire Departments funded in Washington County? Does the County pay any towards these services or is this all through TVF&R?

Most Washington County cities are part of the Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue District, while a few (including Forest Grove and Hillsboro) operate their own fire and rescue services. TVF&R is a stand-alone special district, so the voters elect that separate board of directors and they have their own tax rate and budget.

What’s included in non-departmental and non-operating budgets?

Non-operating is the County's non-programmatic obligations, like debt services. Non-departmental includes contingency funds and funding for infrastructure like roads, facilities, and IT.

Are the CARES Act funds going away at the end of December if they are not used?

Since the Community Investment Conversations were held, the answer to this question changed in late December 2020 when Congress authorized a continuation of CARES Act CRF expenditures through December 30, 2021.

How can the public be more helpful to the County work on community investment, do the commissioners have any additional feedback for us as the residents on how we can be helpful in these processes?

The Board invites the public to engage directly with them through testimony at their business meetings and via email. You can also apply to be a part of the Washington County Budget Committee.

Are the comments, questions and priorities expressed going to be taken into consideration for drafting the 2021-22 budget cycle?

The Board will begin talking about budget priorities in December, so these conversations are an important starting place for them.

I also notice that Chair Harrington's summary didn't mention the abundant research/data that was provided to the County by community partners explaining why investing in social services was more effective than investing in body worn cameras. Why?

The Chair, along with the rest of the Board, continues to consider all the public comment, including research provided by community partners and stakeholders.

Is there going to be a tax measure in either a special election or in the spring election to cover the budget shortfall?

The County is not currently considering a tax measure.

Why is so much of the general fund allocated to public safety?

The general government and the public safety functional areas are the functions primarily supported by general fund revenues. The other functional areas like Housing, Health and Human Services, Land Use and Transportation and Culture, Education and Recreation have historically received larger proportions of federal and state funding as well as other revenues to support their operations.

Where is funding coming from for the new Office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement and the Chief Equity Officer position?

The office is funded by both County general fund and state lottery dollars.

Since Chair Harrington took the position, how many new employees have been hired and how many of those were hired at the Sheriff’s Office?

The Sheriff’s office has grown by 30.17 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) positions between 2018-19 – 2020-21. The County Total FTEs have grown by 42.88 which includes the 30.17 in the Sheriff’s Office so an additional 12.71 FTE between 2018-19 – 2020-21. Please note these numbers do not represent the actual hiring counts as many of those relate to replacing staff turnovers.

Where are grants and federal monies accounted for?

Those are reflected in the "Special funds".

The hardships COVID-19 has caused on our community and knowing that resources are limited, what is the reasoning behind not shifting funding from public safety to housing, health and human services?

While working through the pandemic response the County has had to maintain services throughout, in addition to deploying the federal relief dollars. Most of those federal funds were dedicated to the Public Health Response. You can see more about how those funds were distributed here.

Is any consideration being given to consolidating appropriate metro counties services so that money would be more efficiently spent to avoid duplication?

Within the recently approved Supportive Housing Services levy there is indeed a heavy emphasis on regional partnerships. This is one example of Washington County working with other jurisdictions to solve problems with a regional approach.

Are budgets from previous years available online to compare the current budget to a non-COVID year?

Yes, budget documents from previous years are available at the Washington County financials page.

General Information

What is the Office of Community Development and what does it do?

The Office of Community Development administers four federal programs on behalf of Washington County. Funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, the programs are: the Community Development Block Grant program (CDBG), the HOME Investment Partnerships program (HOME), and the Emergency Shelter Grant program (ESG). All of these programs are targeted to benefit low and moderate income persons in Washington County.

First authorized by Congress under the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, Community Development Block Grants ("CDBG") are federal funds awarded to cities and urban counties for housing and community development projects. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development administers the program on a national level, but it is planned and controlled locally.

The major objectives for the CDBG program are:
     1. Meeting the needs of the low and moderate income population
     2. Eliminating and preventing the creation of slums and blight
     3. Meeting other urgent housing and community development needs

What are eligible projects under the CDBG program?

The Washington County CDBG program operates an annual funding cycle in three competitive categories: public facilities, infrastructure and public services. Types of projects include non-profit social service programs; facilities such as homeless shelters, senior centers, community centers, group homes, etc; and infrastructure projects that include, street improvements, sidewalks, water/sewer lines, etc. Only cities and non-profits are eligible applicants under the CDBG program for the competitive funding cycle.

The Office of Community Development also manages a Housing Rehabilitation Program which can provide loans or grants to eligible owner-occupied households. These loans are available on an individual application basis to residents outside of the City of Beaverton (if you live within the City of Beaverton, call 503-234-6167).

The Washington County CDBG program serves county residents exclusive of the City of Beaverton. If you are a Beaverton resident, you can call 503-234-6167 to find out more about the City’s CDBG program.

What is HOME?

First authorized by Congress under the National Affordable Housing Act of 1990, HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) funds are federal resources awarded to states, counties, cities and consortiums (City-County partnerships) for the purposes of developing affordable housing projects that shelter low-income households.

Since 1992, Washington County has operated the HOME program. To date more than $33,440,000 in HOME funds have been invested in over 204 projects.

When is the annual CDBG and HOME funding cycle?

The funding cycle begins with one-day workshops in August of each year. Applicants under the CDBG program must be non-profits or cities. Applicants under the HOME program must be non-profit housing developers, for-profit housing developers, or the County’s Housing Authority. The application due dates are in October. The definitive dates are posted in July. If you are interested in getting on the mailing list for notifications, call 503-846-8814.

How do I tell someone I think they have a substance use disorder?

Telling someone that you think they may have a problem with using substances is a difficult thing to do. You can tell them how their use is affecting you, as well as others. Try telling them how you feel and that you're willing to help: "I am very worried about your drinking and I'll do what I can to help you stop." A person's desire to change is completely up to them. The idea of stopping can be scary and overwhelming. Approach the person with respect and kindness. Try not to judge. After all, no one started out to develop a substance use disorder. Arm yourself with resource information so it can be provided if and when the person is interested.

Denial is not always a conscious act. It is often the case that the individual will deny there is a problem, even when you know otherwise. Other people may see the effects of a disorder, often more so than the person themselves.

What criteria must be met to detain a juvenile?

1. A youth may be detained before adjudication, if one or more of the following conditions exist:
A. Fugitive - the youth is a fugitive from another jurisdiction, and/or an out of state runaway.
B. Serious crimes - The youth is alleged to have committed a crime involving:
1) Physical injury to another person
2) Disorderly conduct in the first degree
3) A felony
C. Failure to appear - The youth previously failed to appear, despite proper summons, citation, or subpoena.
D. Probation violation - The youth is on probation for a criminal offense and is alleged to have violated a condition of probation.
E. Conditional release - The youth is on conditional release for a criminal offense and has violated a condition.
F. Firearm/Destructive Device - The youth is alleged to be in possession of a fire arm (ORS 166.250). When probable cause exists that a youth was in possession of a firearm or destructive device (ORS 419c.100) while in or on a public building or court facility within the last 120 days, the youth must be detained for a hearing in front of the court.
G. Protection of the victim - The youth is required to be held in detention for the reasonable protection of the victim.


2. (a) No less restrictive means can reasonably ensure appearance,


(b) Youth's behavior endangers self, others, or the community.

If my child doesn’t want to go to school, what I can I do?

After you have contacted the school to get assistance, you may then call and speak with an assessment counselor who may be able to give you recommendations or refer you to other resources.

You can find more information on the Truancy Court page.

See also:

How do I find out who owns a property?

For all inquiries regarding ownership of property please contact the Assessment & Taxation Department at (503) 846-8741.

My son/daughter was arrested and referred for the first time to the Juvenile Department, what happens next?

In most circumstances, you will receive a letter scheduling you and your son/daughter for an appointment with an assessment counselor. The assessment counselor will gather information and make a determination of whether or not the case can be resolved informally or if it requires Court action.

What is a Citizen Participation Organization?

It is a Citizen Participation Organization - a place where you can discuss issues in a comfortable forum; meet neighbors who are interested in the community; get unbiased information; and find neighbors who will listen to your concerns and work with you to find solutions. All residents and business owners in Washington County cities and unincorporated areas are welcome and encouraged to participate.

See also:

Are there any programs for individuals?

Loans and grants to individuals are available for housing rehabilitation. Go to the Housing Rehabilitation page.

What trainings does the Juvenile Department offer?

Please check our "Presentations" and "Trainings" pages for a list of upcoming trainings.

See also:

What time is curfew for youth in Washington County?

Please see the Washington County curfew calendar.

See also:

What projects have received funding through the County's Community Development Block Grant Program?

Quite a number of jurisdictions have received the grant. View the resource below for the full list.

See also:

Where can I get drug testing?

Talk to your health care provider for possible referral. It may be covered by your insurance. Local drug testing sites can be found on the Internet. Simply search for "drug testing near me." Local drug stores carry home test kits for a variety of substances.

What is the job of the Juvenile Counselor?

The responsibilities of the Juvenile Counselor are to supervise the youth, make sure that the conditions of probation are met, and provide services to reduce the chances that the youth will commit another offense. Since strong families, good school performance, and constructive activities with positive friends provide the best chances of avoiding criminal behavior, Juvenile Counselors work to build success in these areas.

What are eligible projects under the HOME program?

The Washington County HOME Consortium finances a variety of housing projects including preservation projects, acquisition and rehabilitation projects, special needs owner-occupied housing rehab programs, homeownership programs, and affordable rental housing projects.

General Tax

When will tax bills be mailed to property owners and when are taxes due?

Property tax statements will be mailed by October 25th, with taxes due on November 15, 2021. Citizens who pay in full by November 15, 2021 will receive the 3% discount, and property appeals can be filed from October 15 to December 31, 2021. If December 31st falls on a weekend or holiday, the filing deadline will be the next business day. If you do not receive a property tax statement by November 1, 2021 you should call (503)846-8741.

See also:

What if there was new construction on the property?

The new improvements will be appraised at market value. This additional value will then be adjusted to the average level of other property and added to the current assessed value. For example, this year the adjustment factor for residential property is 0.591. This factor is called the CPR or "Changed Property Ratio." The assessment date is January 1st, which means that the tax bill you receive in October is based on the actual value in place on the previous January 1. For example, if your house was under construction and only 50% complete on January 1, 2021, the tax bill payable on November 15, 2021 would reflect 50% of the value of the finished house.

See also:

Can I look up my property tax statement information online?

Yes. Tax statements for the 2012-13 through 2021-22 tax years are available online. To access an account you need an account number or situs address. The files appear in a separate pop-up window in PDF format, so pop-ups need to be enabled on your computer in order to access the information. These statements reflect the certified tax roll information. They DO NOT contain any payments or corrections to the roll that have occurred since the roll certification. All ownership and mailing address information has been removed.

See also:

Where should I mail my tax payment?

Payments must be POSTMARKED on or before November 15, 2021. By Oregon law, payments postmarked after November 15 do not receive discounts. Interest will accrue on the past due portion. Please return the lower portion of your tax bill(s) with payment in the envelope enclosed with your bill. You may also send payments directly to: Washington County Assessment & Taxation, 155 N. First Ave., Ste. 130 MS8, Hillsboro, OR 97124

What if I have a change of address to report?

Mailing address changes need to be requested in writing. There are several options for submitting this request. 

1. You can mail an address change form to:Assessment & Taxation at 155 N. First Ave.,                        Ste.130 MS8, Hillsboro, OR 97124. An address change form is available below.
2. You can email your request to
3. You can submit and electronic request at

Please include the following information or physical address of the property:
1. Property account number or physical address of the property
2. New mailing address
3. Printed name of the person making the request
4. Documentation if requesting on behalf of a trust, business, Power of Attorney (POA), etc. 

See also:

Can I look up my property values and improvements detail information online?

Yes. Property Values & Improvements Detail Information such as:

--General Property Information,
--Sales/Deed Information,
--Assessed Values,
--Improvement Information, and
--Improvement Details;

is available through the County's tax map feature, Intermap. At the Intermap site, searches can be done using either your address, Tax Lot ID, or the "R" number. At the Map Location, scroll down the page to the section named: Additional Information. Click on Subreport: Assessment & Taxation Information.

See also:

Why did my taxes go up more than 3 percent?

There are four major reasons your property taxes can increase by more than three percent. The first two reasons may be:
  1. If you live in a taxing district that has new voter-approved Bonds or Local Option Levies, your property taxes may increase more than the anticipated 3 percent. There are new levies or bonds approved or reauthorized by the voters that will be reflected in this year's tax bill.
  2. If you made any major renovations or changes to your property in the 12 months prior to the assessment date of January 1, your property taxes may increase more than the anticipated 3 percent. The next two reasons are more complicated and require the definition of key terms to help understand the process. These terms include: Assessed Value is the lower of the Real Market Value or the Maximum Assessed Value. Real Market Value is the amount determined by the county assessor for a property that would sell in an arm's length transaction between a willing buyer and seller on January 1 of each year. Maximum Assessed Value is the taxable value limit established for each property and is allowed to increase each year by no more than 3 percent.
  3. Your Assessed Value (AV) may have increased more than 3 percent. Under Oregon law, your AV is the lesser of your Real Market Value (RMV) and your Maximum Assessed Value (MAV). If your RMV has dropped below your MAV, it is possible for your RMV to increase more than 3 percent from last year yet still be less than your MAV. As the lesser of the two values, RMV then becomes your AV. Your taxes are calculated on the lower of the Real Market Value or the Maximum Assessed Value. This then becomes your Assessed Value.
  4. The last reason is due to compression. The operating taxes for schools and local government are limited. Each account is tested to determine if the operating taxes based on the assessed value exceed the limit of $5.00 per $1,000 of RMV for schools and the $10.00 per $1,000 of RMV for local government. If the limit is reached, the tax bill is reduced (compressed). As the market value increases, the difference between the market and the assessed values may increase as well. This reduces the chance for compression, but can also increase your tax liability if compared to a prior year's tax that was in compression. If your account has been in compression, it is possible that as the real market values increase you will see an increase in your property tax bill by more than 3 percent.

What are the new Levies or Bonds approved or reauthorized by the voters that will be reflected in this year's tax bill?

For fiscal year 2021-22, the majority of taxpayers, approximately 183,000 accounts, will receive tax statements that have increased when compared with last year. Approximately 169,500 accounts will have tax increases between 0 and 5 percent, and 13,500 accounts will have tax increases over 5 percent. Additionally, approximately 14,000 taxpayer accounts will reflect a tax decrease. These reductions are primarily due to local option levies expiring, expired bonds, compression, or the taxing districts levying a lesser amount. See the attached listing of typical residential properties with examples of values and taxes for typical houses in various parts of the county.

See also:

Why have my property taxes changed?

For fiscal year 2021-22, property tax statements account for a total of $1.309 billion, which will pay for the services mentioned above. These services are provided by 62 local taxing districts throughout the County. This is an increase of 4 percent or $51 million compared to last year. The increase in taxes is due to several factors including the 3 percent increase in assessed value on most properties, additional value from new construction activity and new or increased taxing district levies. Please see our 2021 Fact Sheet for more information. The majority of taxpayers, approximately 183,000 accounts, will receive tax statements that have increased when compared with last year. Approximately 169,500 accounts will have tax increases between 0 and 5 percent, and 13,500 accounts will have tax increases over 5 percent. Additionally, approximately 14,000 taxpayer accounts will reflect a tax decrease. These reductions are primarily due to local option levies expiring, expired bonds, compression, or the taxing districts levying a lesser amount. See the attached listing of typical residential properties with examples of values and taxes for typical houses in various parts of the county. See also:

See also:

What if I did not receive a tax statement?

All property owners receive a tax statement. If you do not receive a tax statement by November 1st you should call the tax collections office at (503)846-8801.

What if I received a property tax bill on a property I have sold?

At the time the property tax bills were printed, the ownership of the property had not been transferred in the Assessment & Taxation system. In order for the new owner to receive a bill, please contact the tax office at (503)846-8801. In most instances, the ownership has been updated and a new billing can be generated and forwarded to the new owner.

What factors can affect the amount of your tax bill?

Many factors can affect the amount of your tax bill. -If you live in a taxing district that has new voter approved Bonds or Local Option Levies, your property taxes my increase more than 3%. -If you made any major improvements or changes to your property prior to the assessment date of January 1, your property taxes my increase more than 3%.

What if I have ownership corrections to report?

Please contact the Cartography Division of Assessment & Taxation at (503)846-8871.

See also:

How can I make a property tax payment online?

We are often asked if people can pay property taxes by credit card or online. Washington County can now accept credit card, e-check, or IVR payments for property taxes via the internet.

See also:


What is graffiti?

It is one possible indication of gang activity in your area. Through graffiti, gangs are giving notice of their presence and activity. Graffiti is how gangs communicate and tell others that the area is visited by a particular gang.

What should I do if I see graffiti?

Notify your local law enforcement agency so that they can take a report and photograph the graffiti. This enables law enforcement to monitor gang graffiti.

Hagg Lake

How do I make a reservation for Hagg Lake Park?

For Hagg Lake Park site availability, description of the various (3) facilities offered, and price estimates, simply call (503) 846-7000, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (closed during the lunch hour - 1:00 to 2:00) Reservation applications should be sent to: Washington County Parks, Attention Park Reservations, 50250 SW Scoggins Valley Road, Gaston, OR 97119 or by email to

How much does it cost for general and special use reservations at Hagg Lake Park?

Prices at Hagg Lake Park vary according to your requirements and the purpose of your reservation - there are 3 large group reservable areas (2 large covered pavilions and 1 open air group use area). Please contact (503) 846-7000 for assistance. Hagg Lake offers many picnic tables (some with BBQ grills) throughout the park. The picnic tables are open to the public on a first come/first serve basis, free of charge and do not require a reservation. Special Use Event Reservations (i.e. - commercial film shoots, large scale events) call the park office for details 503-846-7000.

How is the water quality for swimming at Hagg Lake?

Water quality is tested weekly at Hagg Lake in search of any harmful contaminates. Water samples from three (3) separate locations at the Lake are sent to the Oregon Health Division Center for Public Health Laboratories. We are happy to report that the levels of contaminates in the water are very low and do not pose a health threat to recreational users of the Lake. Please check out the following website for tips on Healthy Swimming:

Will my cell phone work at Hagg Lake Park?

Cell phone coverage is good if you have AT&T otherwise cell phone coverage is spotty at Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake. There are 911 emergency phones located at Eagle Point Recreation Area Boat Ramp and Boat Ramp C. The Lake Stop store has a pay phone.

What are the Park hours at Hagg Lake?

Hagg Lake is open during daylight hours - sun-up to sun-down. No overnight camping For camping near Hagg Lake please contact: Stub Stewart State Park 1-800-452-5687 Gales Creek Campground 503-357-2191 Reehers Camp - 503-357-2191

What other activities are available at Hagg Lake?

Hagg Lake Park boasts a wide variety of outdoor activities. Please refer to the Activities page of the website for a detailed list.

What facilities does Hagg Lake Park have to offer?

Hagg Lake Park has many options and types. Please refer to the Facilities page of the website for more details or call the park office at 503-846-7000 for more information.

How do I get to Hagg Lake Park?

Hagg Lake Park is located 25 mile southwest of Portland (near Forest Grove). The physical address to the Park is 50250 SW Scoggins Valley Road, Gaston, OR 97119.

What recreational activities are allowed at Hagg Lake Park?

The Hagg Lake Park is especially well suited towards water sports activities. Please refer to the Activities page of the website for a more detailed listing.

What is a Park Advisory Board?

The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board is comprised of community members that provide advice on the maintenance, operations, and capital development needs of Washington County Parks including Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake. Traditionally, members are appointed from all Commissioner districts. For more information, or to download an application, please visit the Boards and Commissions site.

Are there softball fields, playground equipment, etc. available at Hagg Lake Park?

Unfortunately not at this time, however, we are happy to say these amenities (and much more) for Hagg Lake Park are coming soon.

Is alcohol allowed in Hagg Lake Park?

Yes, alcohol is allowed in Hagg Lake Park.
You are responsible for yourself and your guests when alcohol is involved.
The Park is patrolled by the Washington County Sheriff's Office, the Oregon State Police, and by Park Rangers.
Catered events, where an alcohol server/bartender is preparing and serving drinks, require a permit from the Washington County Health Department.

Are animals (pets) allowed at Hagg Lake Park?

Yes, animals are allowed at Hagg Lake Park, but please refer all questions to animal control.

Hospital and Clinic Safety

Risks for pregnant women who have to maintain in person doctor visits at hospitals that are heavily impacted by COVID. (Example third trimester in-person visits and planning labor delivery at Providence Vincent’s that has a shared West Wing containing Mat

Hospitals are taking all precautions to separate and protect patients through not only physical distancing but staff use of personal protective equipment (PPE) precautions, including housekeeping. Use of face coverings for patients and family in hospital care situations will help protect the mother. Additionally hospitals do pre-screening to ensure anyone ill with COVID-19-like symptoms do not come into the hospital. There is no concern regarding food being infected or being a source of transmission. COVID-19 is transmitted person-to-person by respiratory droplets.

What precautions or protocols are in place to keep people safe when we have to go to in-person doctor visits, especially hospitals and medical offices that are treating high numbers of COVID-positive patients? Examples: a shared lobby in a hospital that a

All health care clinics and hospitals have safety protocols in place, such as requiring masks, screening for symptoms, separating people with symptoms and appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).

The health care facility protocols you mentioned don’t seem to address people that may not be showing any symptoms yet are COVID-positive from community or household exposure. They could potentially be spreading these virus contaminants in places like ele

COVID-19 is less commonly spread through contact, however, in an abundance of caution, we encourage cleaning of common surfaces often and having individuals wash hands frequently. These are new guidelines for all businesses including hospitals. There is no evidence that COVID-19 is spread through food.

Housing & Neighborhoods

Property line disputes

Property line disputes are civil issues and need to be resolved between affected parties accordingly. Residents can obtain free mediation services at Beaverton Center for Mediation and Dialogue (east of 185th Avenue) and Hillsboro Mediation Program (west of 185th Avenue).

Home business activity

Commercial business activity operated from a residence typically requires land use approval for a home occupation. A land use application is required and is subject to annual renewal. Contact Current Planning.

Day care or preschool in residential area

Day care and preschool businesses are allowed in residential areas and are exempt from land use review if they serve less than 16 children.

New property owners and code violations on a property

Land use and building violations on a tax lot 'run with the land' and become the responsibility of new property owners, if not addressed by prior owners. New property owners will be responsible for bringing land use and building violations into compliance with County standards.

Line-of-sight distance

Property owners are responsible for maintaining vegetation on their properties to ensure visibility onto and within a public right-of-way is maintained.

Multiple people living in a home

The CDC does not limit the number of people sharing a home.

Abandoned homes

The CDC does not regulate vacant and/or abandoned homes. Additionally there are no regulations in place to compel landowners to remove neglected buildings beyond securing the property's perimeter with fencing. For concerns regarding vegetation or fire hazards contact Health & Human Services code enforcement.

Mold issues in rental properties

Washington County does not have a rental inspection program and does not address mold within or outside of buildings. Legal Aid and Community Alliance of Tenants are available to assist tenants with landlord/property issues.

Tenant/landlord disputes

Washington County is not a party to landlord/tenant disputes. Legal Aid and Community Alliance of Tenants are available to assist tenants with landlord/property issues.

Housing Services

How can we as a community address the major houseless issue with a focus on compassion and financial awareness?

Within the recently approved, metro-wide Supportive Housing Services levy there is a heavy emphasis on solutions that include compassion and financial awareness. Washington County is currently in the process of drafting our Local Implementation Plan which will go through a public process in the coming months - with the first year of revenue being deployed in July of 2021.

What is the success rate of the village reducing homeless encampments around town as well as the success of helping participants in the Safe Sleep Village transition out of homelessness or into more stable conditions?

Efforts to support vulnerable, houseless individuals during the pandemic remains an ongoing challenge. The following chart provides data on the total number of houseless people served with $1.7 million in CARES Act funding dedicated to a variety of temporary, emergency programs, as of January 4, 2021, after closure of the Safe Sleep Village and Safe Sleep RV program.

  Program Start and End Date # People Served To-Date # People Age less than <18 years (child) # People Age 18-44 Years (Adult) # People Age 45+ Years (Adult) % Chronic* Homeless % Persons of Color # People Exit % Exit to Housing % Exit to Street
Family Promise Shelters 6/22/2020 - 12/30/2020 133 52 53 28 14% 31% 91 73% 27%
Safe Sleep Village 8/4/2020 - 11/16/2020 106 0 53 53 34% 19% 106 0% 100%
Hotel Vouchers 6/24/2020 - 12/30/2020 83 6 26 51 42% 18% 83 23% 77%
Safe RV Parking 10/15/2020 - 12/30/2020 57 0 27 30 9% 16% 57 5% 95%
Winter Shelters: 150-beds [Funds:CFR $350K CARES - Nov/Dec only; ESG $490K and EFSP $256K - Nov to March] 11/15/2020 - 3/15/2021 218 0 99 119 42% 33% 85 8% 92%
Total People Served: 590 *Chronic = A Person with disabling condition(s) and experiencing 12 or months of homelessness

Housing in Washington County is a key problem.  What can the County do to allow more economical housing?

In 2018 the tri-County region passed the Affordable Housing Bond. County staff are preparing to present the first annual report in December. For more information please visit


Can I find legal forms at the Law Library?

The Law Library does not have fill-in-the-blank legal forms. It does, however, have many legal research resources with samples of different types of legal forms and legal language.

While some legal forms are online, many need to be drafted by the parties involved in the case or their lawyers. If you are representing yourself, be prepared to spend some time researching your case, drafting the documents, and typing or writing the documents you plan to file with the court.

See also:

Where is the Legal Aid Office?

In Washington County, low cost legal services are provided by the Oregon Law Center regional office in Hillsboro. The OLC is located at 230 NE 2nd Avenue, Suite F. You can also phone them at: 503-640-4115.

The Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO) Hillsboro office exclusively serves migrant and seasonal farmworkers through its Farmworker Program. Their office can be found in Suite A at the same address as the Oregon Law Center and their phone number is 503-648-7163. 

See also:

How do I report a violation of the County Code?

Contact the responsible county department.

See also:

Can the Law Library staff recommend an attorney/lawyer?

No, but the Law Library can direct you to guides on "How to Find a Lawyer/Attorney."

You can also contact the Oregon State Bar (OSB) Lawyer Referral Service at 503-684-3763.

See also:

Can I find a case file, a trial transcript, a judge's order, or get a copy of a complaint at the Law Library?

No. You need to go to the File Room in the Washington County Circuit Courthouse.

Case files, trial transcripts, and complaints are not documents you'll find in law libraries, where you will instead find court (or judicial) opinions (also called decisions), statutes, and other published legal documents.

See also:

Where do I get help with a private legal matter?

State law prohibits the Office of County Counsel from providing legal advice to private individuals and entities. County Counsel cannot make referrals to specific attorneys, but many attorneys offer a free or low cost initial consulation. The Oregon State Bar has information on common legal problems and has an attorney referral service for the general public.

See also:

Where could I find legal information on my own?

The Washington County law library is open to the public.

See also:

Does Washington County have a Family Law facilitator?

Yes. The Family Law Assistance Program can help pro se (self-help) litigants with information about simple divorces and other basic family law matters.

The Washington County Circuit Court Family Law office is in the courthouse. It is generally open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; however, it's recommended that you call to confirm: 503-846-2898.

See also:

Library Levy Renewal

Is library use increasing?

Yes. • In FY2013-15 countywide circulation totaled over 12.7 million checkouts. • Circulation of traditional library collections is changing. Checkouts of print materials (books, magazines, etc.) has leveled off in the last three years. Checkouts of media (music CD’s, DVD’s and Blu-Rays) have declined in recent years as more people use streaming or downloaded media at home or on their personal devices. Checkouts of e-books and e-audiobooks have more than doubled between 2012 and 2014. (2012 Library2Go circulation: 160,868; 2014 Library2Go circulation: 330,825)

See also:

What is the history of WCCLS funding?

Until 1997, WCCLS operated entirely on serial levies authorized by voters. • Between 1976 and 1996, WCCLS operated on serial levies that were approved by voters. • With the passage of Ballot Measure 50 in 1997, the WCCLS serial levy was rolled into the County’s General Fund (the County’s permanent tax base). The Cooperative Library Advisory Board (CLAB) and the County Board of Commissioners agreed to a five-year financial plan for WCCLS that included on-going funding from the General Fund. • In addition, the plan called for WCCLS to supplement General Fund revenues with money from a WCCLS reserve fund that had built up in the early 1990’s due to unexpected growth in property values. Until the reserve fund was depleted, WCCLS was able to maintain public library funding without having to reduce library services. • That interim funding plan ended in 2003-04, when approx. 90% of the reserve fund had been expended (that was the plan).

See also:

What has been done to address library funding since Ballot Measure 50 passed?

Supplemental funding through a local option levy was authorized by voters in 2006 and renewed in 2010. • In November 2002 county residents had the opportunity to vote on a library operating levy to enhance and maintain library operations for 2002 through 2008. That levy was defeated by a narrow margin of 611 votes out of over 145,000 ballots cast. (49.8% to 50.2%) • A similar operating levy on the May 2004 ballot passed, but did not receive the 50% voter turnout necessary to implement the measure. • Countywide service reductions were implemented as a result, including reduced open hours, book purchases, and programs for children and adults. As a result, WCCLS and member libraries reduced operational costs and adjusted spending, trying to limit the effect of service reductions on library users. • In November 2006 a four-year levy was approved by 57% of voters to restore and maintain countywide library services. • In November 2010 a five-year levy was renewed by 66% of voters to maintain countywide library services. • That levy will expire in June 2016 and provides about 1/3 of total WCCLS funding. (The other 2/3 comes from the County’s General Fund.)

See also:

What would be the cost of the proposed library levy?

The cost and terms would be: • This measure replaces a five-year levy that will expire in June 2016. • The expiring levy provides 1/3 of WCCLS funding. (The other 2/3 of funding comes from the County’s General Fund.) • This replacement levy would run from July 2016 through June 2021. • It would be a fixed rate of 22¢ per $1,000 of assessed value, an increase of 5¢ over the current rate. • If approved, this would be the first rate increase since 2006. • In 2016, owners of a home with an average assessed value of $255,408 (not market value) would pay about $56, or $14 more than paid in 2015. • Taxes for future years would depend upon changes in assessed value. • Estimated revenues from the levy in FY2016-17 are $12,739,000 (estimated five-year total of $69.2 million)

See also:

Why is an increase in Library Levy rate proposed?

The increase in levy funding will support five main service areas: • Allow current member libraries to maintain services for the next five years, providing an annual increase in funding of 3% for each library; funding adjustments will allow some libraries to increase open hours to serve their communities. • To provide basic operational support for new or expanding libraries during the levy period. This includes providing operational support for the addition of Aloha Library in 2016, providing increased support for Cornelius and Bethany libraries that are planned for expansion in 2017, and the addition of potential new library branches in Hillsboro in the latter years of the levy cycle. Expanded libraries will increase overall system use as they reach new or previously under-served areas of the county. • Increase support for children’s reading programs; increase support for school aged children by providing online homework and tutoring services designed to improve school success. • Increase support for library collections including e-books and e-audiobooks subscriptions, and central purchase of popular materials. • Maintain central support and outreach services that link member libraries together.

See also:

Why is the Library Replacement Levy proposed?

The levy would provide support for public library services countywide in five ways: 1. Support Public library operations: • Maintain support for libraries and branches that serve all county residents: Banks, Beaverton, Cedar Mill, Cornelius, Forest Grove, Garden Home, Hillsboro, North Plains, Sherwood, Tigard, Tualatin and West Slope. • Maintain open hours at libraries, increase hours at some libraries. • Provide basic operational support for a new public library in Aloha and expanding libraries in Bethany, Cornelius and Hillsboro. 2. Support reading programs for children: • Support children’s reading programs that average over 280,000 child visits each year. This includes annual summer reading programs and literacy programs for preschoolers so more children enter school ready to read. • Enhance summer reading activities designed to sustain reading retention between school years. • Increase reading and learning programs for students, including online homework and tutoring services designed to improve school success for all children in the County. • Increase literacy training in English and Spanish to develop reading skills for children. 3. Support books and materials purchases: • Expand purchase of books, e-books and other materials that would be available to all users of libraries in Washington County. 4. Support library information and resources for job-seekers: • Continue library services that provide information, resources and instruction to assist those seeking jobs. • One out of five WCCLS computer users say library technology supports their employment or job searches. 5. Support Central support and outreach services that link libraries together: • Maintain daily deliveries between libraries to fill patron requests for books and other materials. • Maintain the WCCLS website and shared library catalog used by member libraries. • Provide public Internet and Wi-Fi access at member libraries. • Provide outreach services to special populations such as mail delivery of books to homebound residents. • Support services and technologies designed to increase efficiencies in service delivery across the system.

See also:

Where can more information about the Library Replacement Levy be found?

A librarian can provide more information, or contact WCCLS at (503)846-3222, or visit this web site for more information:

See also:

How many people use libraries?

About half of all Washington County residents hold library cards (over 263,000 people). People visit libraries in Washington County about 3.9 million times a year.

See also:

How would the levy funds get divided between the various service areas?

Levy funds would be divided approximately as follows: • Public Library operations (including addition of Aloha Library) 74% • Central Support and Outreach services 23% • Funds to support new or expanded library operations, emerging services 3%

See also:

What are the roles of member libraries?

Member Libraries do three things: • Locally determine facility and service levels (fund, build, manage and maintain library buildings, supplement county funding based on locally-determined community service priorities), • Locally determine operations (hours, programs, collections, and staffing). • Serve as the primary providers of public library service to all residents.

See also:

How much revenue would the Library Levy generate?

Replacing the expiring Library Levy would generate approximately $69.2 million over five fiscal years. The year-by-year totals would be: $12,739,000 in 2016-17 $13,249,000 in 2017-18 $13,812,000 in 2018-19 $14,399,000 in 2019-20 $15,011,000 in 2020-21

See also:


What is the difference between a license tag, a rabies tag, and a microchip?

Washington County Animal Code requires a dog to wear a license tag that Washington County issues. A license tag is issued after payment and proof of rabies is received. Dogs are required to have a current rabies vaccination and some veterinarians issue a separate rabies tag. A microchip is a device that is implanted at the base of the neck in an animal. It is encoded with a unique number. Animal Services recommends microchips for all pets. However, they are not required for licensing.

See also:

What are the benefits of having a dog license?

--Dog license tags help reunite lost dogs with their owners. --If your dog is impounded and is current on its Washington County dog license, then the impound fee for a first offense is only $10.00. That compares to an impound fee of $65.00 for a first offense on an unlicensed dog. --When local residents find stray dogs, they can call Animal Services. With the license numbers, our staff can give the dog finder your contact information. --When an Animal Services officer finds a dog with a license, the officer calls the shelter to find out who owns it so they can attempt to take the dog home. --If your dog is found injured and wearing its license, Animal Services officers will attempt to obtain emergency medical attention for it and contact you with the details. --A license is a good idea and it’s the law.

See also:

I don't have a certificate of spay or neuter for my pet. What can I do?

Animal care staff can look at a male dog to determine whether it has been neutered. On a spayed female, you will need verification from a veterinarian.

See also:

Is there a senior citizen discount for dog licenses?

If your dog is spayed or neutered AND you are 65 years or better, you will qualify for a reduced licensing fee.

See also:

I give my own shots so I can't furnish proof from a veterinarian that my dog has had his rabies shot. What can I do?

Only rabies vaccinations given by a licensed veterinarian are considered valid in Oregon for dogs, cats and ferrets.

See also:

What is a puppy license?

Washington County Animal Services offers free licensing to all puppies less than six months of age. When the puppy reaches six months, you must submit the dog’s rabies vaccination certification to convert it into an adult dog license.

See also:

I just moved to Washington County and have a dog license from another area that is still active. Can my dog use this license until it expires?

Yes, Washington County honors licenses from other jurisdictions with proof of validity. You may also transfer your valid license from your old address to your new address in Washington County by paying a nominal fee.

See also:

Where can I purchase a dog license?

You may purchase a dog license at any of the following: Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter 1901 S.E. 24th Avenue Hillsboro, OR 97123 Through the mail On our Internet Web site at At many of the local veterinary clinics in Washington County.

See also:

How long is a dog license good for?

You may purchase a one, two or three year dog license. It is your responsibility to provide a current rabies vaccination certificate to Animal Services in order to keep your license active.

See also:

Los Estándares de Ocupación

¿Cuál es el cambio propuesto por HAWC?

HAWC propone cambiar sus estándares de ocupación a dos personas por habitación, independientemente del género, la edad o la relación. Actualmente, HAWC permite que dos adultos no emparentados tengan un vale de dos dormitorios y un adulto con un niño tenga un vale de dos dormitorios. Este cambio significa que un hogar con un padre soltero y un hijo o un hogar con dos adultos no emparentados calificarán para un vale de un dormitorio en lugar de dos. Sin embargo, tenga en cuenta que la familia no se verá afectada por este cambio a menos que el alquiler y los servicios públicos de su unidad actual excedan el estándar de pago para el nuevo tamaño del vale.

¿Cómo me afectará este cambio?

Los cambios propuestos a los estándares de ocupación no se aplicarán a los hogares que cumplen con la definición de HUD de una "familia discapacitada". Para todos los demás hogares, estos cambios le afectarán si 1) el tamaño de su vale actual es mayor que el número de personas en su hogar dividido por dos (2) Y 2) su alquiler bruto actual (alquiler a su arrendador más (+) su asignación de servicios públicos) es mayor que el estándar de pago para el nuevo tamaño del vale.

¿Por qué HAWC quiere hacer este cambio?

HAWC enfrenta costos de vivienda en rápido aumento, lo que la obliga a “diluir la sopa o quitar las sillas de la mesa”. Al cambiar sus estándares de ocupación, HAWC estima que podrá servir a 130 familias adicionales con cupones. Esto se debe a que los nuevos estándares de ocupación harán que muchas familias del programa de cupones se muden a una unidad menos costosa o paguen más en alquiler de lo que pagan en la actualidad. Sin embargo, si HAWC no hace nada, el programa de los cupones continuará disminuyendo, al igual que las familias del condado de Washington necesitan desesperadamente viviendas más asequibles.

¿Cómo puedo participar en el proceso?

HAWC celebrará dos reuniones públicas de residentes en octubre para discutir estos cambios. La discusión será parte de la propuesta de HAWC para postularse para convertirse en una agencia de “Moving to Work (MTW)”. Se invita a los residentes a participar en cualquiera de las reuniones públicas para obtener más información sobre los cambios y ofrecer comentarios.

¿Qué es un "estándar de ocupación"?

Las autoridades de vivienda utilizan los estándares de ocupación para determinar el tamaño del cupón para cual califica un hogar. Un estándar de ocupación puede basarse en el número de personas en el hogar, la edad y el sexo de los miembros del hogar incluyendo la relación de cada miembro.


What is the Moving to Work (MTW) program?

Congress created the MTW program to allow housing authorities to alter HUD program rules for the Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing programs, including policy changes and flexibility in how it spends HUD money. The purpose is to identify areas where policy adjustments and local policy changes improve outcomes. MTW agencies represent just one percent (1%) of all housing authorities. MTW agencies are responsible for ensuring that the activities they pursue meet one or more of the following statutory objectives: 1) increase affordable housing choices, 2) increase cost effectiveness, and/or 3) promote self-sufficiency.

Why did the HAWC become an MTW agency?

With significant increases in housing cost in Washington County and insufficient resources to fill the gap, HAWC faces the prospect of reducing the number of households it serves. The MTW program provides HAWC with additional tools to reduce cost and to shift resources to help fill the funding gap. MTW also allows HAWC to adopt policies and implement programs designed to help clients become self-sufficient.

This is a prestigious designation, and the HAWC is honored to be designated as a MTW agency.

How will the Moving to Work program affect program participants and the community?

One of the goals of the MTW program is to increase affordable housing. HAWC will review a variety of options available using its MTW flexibility to provide more affordable housing in the County with creative funding solutions.

Each year, HAWC may adopt new MTW activities that may impact our residents and participants, depending on the policy change and the family’s circumstances. Before adopting new activities, HAWC will hold public meetings and community discussions, to solicit feedback on the proposed changes.

At the onset of the program, HAWC will implement a tiered rent policy to simplify calculating rent costs. Eligible families are non-elderly, non-disabled households who are not participating in the FSS (Family Self Sufficiency) program. The tiered rent policy will change the way rent is calculated. Households impacted by the tiered rent policy will have a reexamination every three years instead of every year, minimizing the amount of paperwork and documentation families have to fill out.

How can I participate in the process?

As HAWC moves forward in the MTW program and begins to propose changes or new activities, we will hold public meetings and community discussions to help people understand the changes and provide an opportunity for questions and feedback. Information about those meetings will be posted on the HAWC website.

MTW - En Español

¿Qué es el programa “Moving to Work (MTW)”?

El Congreso creó el programa MTW para permitir que las autoridades de vivienda alteren las reglas del programa HUD para los programas de Vales de Elección de Vivienda y Vivienda Pública, incluyendo los cambios de política y la flexibilidad en la manera en que invierte el dinero de HUD. El propósito es identificar áreas donde los ajustes de políticas y los cambios de políticas locales mejoran los resultados. Las agencias MTW representan solo el uno por ciento (1%) de todas las autoridades de vivienda. Las agencias MTW son responsables de garantizar que las actividades que realizan cumplan con uno o más de los siguientes objetivos estatutarios: 1) aumentar las opciones de vivienda asequible, 2) aumentar la rentabilidad o 3) promover la autosuficiencia.

¿Por qué HAWC se convirtió en una agencia MTW?

Debido al aumento significativo en el costo de la vivienda en el Condado de Washington y la falta de recursos para llenar la brecha, HAWC enfrenta la posibilidad de reducir el número de hogares a los que presta servicios. El programa MTW proporciona a HAWC herramientas adicionales para reducir costos y transferir recursos para ayudar a llenar la brecha de financiamiento. MTW también permite a HAWC adoptar políticas e implementar programas diseñados para ayudar a los clientes a ser autosuficientes.

Esta es una designación prestigiosa y HAWC tiene el honor de ser designada como agencia MTW.

¿Cómo afectará el programa Moving to Work a los participantes del programa y a la comunidad?

Una de las metas del programa MTW es aumentar las viviendas asequibles. HAWC revisará una variedad de opciones disponibles utilizando la flexibilidad proporcionada por MTW para ofrecer viviendas más asequibles en el Condado con soluciones creativas de financiamiento.

Cada año, HAWC podría adoptar nuevas actividades de MTW que podrían afectar a nuestros residentes y participantes, según el cambio de política y las circunstancias de la familia. Antes de adoptar nuevas actividades, HAWC llevará a cabo reuniones públicas y diálogos comunitarios para solicitar comentarios sobre los cambios propuestos.

Al inicio del programa, HAWC implementará una política de alquiler por niveles para simplificar el cálculo de los costos de alquiler. Las familias elegibles son personas que no son ancianos ni discapacitados y que no participan en el programa de autosuficiencia familiar (FSS, por sus siglas en inglés). La política de alquiler escalonado cambiará la manera en que se calcula el alquiler. Los hogares afectados por la política de alquiler escalonado serán reexaminados cada tres años en lugar de cada año, lo que minimiza la cantidad de papeleo y documentación que las familias deben completar.

¿Cómo puedo participar en el proceso?

A medida que HAWC avanza en el programa MTW y comienza a proponer cambios o nuevas actividades, realizaremos reuniones públicas y diálogos comunitarios para ayudar a las personas a comprender los cambios y brindar una oportunidad para preguntas y comentarios. La información sobre esas reuniones se publicará en el sitio web de HAWC.

Manufactured Homes

Why have the property taxes on my manufactured home increased?

Washington County is one of two counties in Oregon to exempt taxes for manufactured homes with an Assessed Value (AV) less than $38,000. Fortunately for many homeowners, approximately 57% of homes located within residential parks are less than the threshold and will not be taxed. Another important factor has affected manufactured homes above the $38,000 threshold. Property owners are taxed on the Assessed Value (AV). The AV is determined as the lower of Maximum Assessed Value (MAV) or Real Market Value (RMV). The MAV is capped at 3% of the prior year's AV; however, there is no cap on RMV. For many manufactured home properties, the RMV is the lower of the two and becomes the taxable AV. What this means for many manufactured home owners is strong market increases may result in significant tax increases.

Do I have to pay taxes on my manufactured home?

YES. All manufactured structures are subject to taxation at the same rate as other homes. County tax statements are mailed by October 25th. The statement that you receive in October is from the county in which your structure was located on January 1st. Tax payments are due on November 15, 2021. Contact your local county tax collection office for more information.

Are the taxes included in my mortgage payment?

In most cases, the structure’s owner is responsible for paying the taxes. Please contact your lending institution if you have any questions about whether your taxes are included in your mortgage payment.

Should I come in today and get an "Ownership Document" instead of my existing title and turn in my license plate?

NO, this is not necessary until the time that you sell or move your home. You will turn in your title at the time of transfer and the new owner will receive the new "Ownership Document" for their records. The license plate is not needed to complete the transfer.

What is the $10 fee used for?

The $10 fee is a special assessment levied on manufactured homes. The fee is used to help fund the Manufactured Communities Resource Center, which provides a variety of services and resources for manufactured home tenants and parks. For more information, please call 1.800.453.5511.

See also:

Where at Washington County should I go for information or help on my manufactured structure?

The Washington County Department of Assessment & Taxation is located at 155 N First Avenue, Suite 130. The phone number is 503-846-8741. Assessment & Taxation staff are available to assist you with manufactured structure ownership information and changes.

Is there a website with helpful information regarding manufactured home ownership?

Yes. Please visit the Building Codes Division website listed below for information concerning the new online Manufactured Home Ownership Document System (MHODS), which has replaced the LOIS Manufactured Home Ownership System as of Jan. 26, 2017. MHODS tracks information regarding ownership, security interest holders, and location for all personal property manufactured homes in Oregon.

See also:

Do I need to obtain permits if I am doing work on my manufactured structure?

YES. Permits are typically required on installation, additions, and alterations on your structure. Please check with your local county or city building departments for more information.

See also:

If I own a manufactured structure, do I still qualify for any tax relief or exemption programs?

You may qualify for the Veteran's Exemption or Senior/Disabled Citizen Deferral programs. Please contact your local county office or visit the sites below for more information.

See also:


01. What is the map and tax lot number for my property?

Go to our Intermap site and follow the instructions.

See also:

Marriage License

What do we need to obtain a marriage license?

Each party must provide the following information in the form: 1) Birthplaces of applicant and parents; 2) Both parents' names prior to the first marriage of each; 3) Effective date when the applicant's prior marriage ended (if applicable); and 4) The name to be taken following the marriage ceremony. We reserve the right to ask for photo ID.

I was previously married.  What do I need to bring with me to prove the prior marriage ended?

If you were previously married, you must know the date that your last marriage ended (death, divorce, dissolution or annulment). You are not required to bring documents or other proof.

Which forms of payment are accepted at the Recording Office?

We accept cash, checks, money order, debit & most charge cards. Debit & charge cards will be processed with an additional convenience charge of $1.99.


What about the landmark Danish study showing that masks make no difference whatsoever to community spread?

There are many rigorous studies in the U.S. and internationally that support wearing masks protect both the person wearing masks and those with whom they are in contact.

Hi! I'm wondering about runners or bicyclists on THPRD trails. The vast majority do not wear masks yet stay right on the trail. Is there anyway to address this? They go too fast to talk to!

We are encouraging everyone wear face covering whenever you are not in your home including outdoors. However, the greatest risk of exposure is contact with someone within six feet for 15 minutes or more.


Can I get a permit for a roof top unit replacement over the counter?

Permits for smaller units are frequently issued over the counter, with appropriate documentation. If the unit weighs over 400 pounds, engineering will be required to ensure that the supporting structure has the strength to accommodate the loading.


What is Conciliation Services? What do you do?

Conciliation Services began in 1975 to assist people considering the dissolution of their marriage and provide custody studies to the Court. In 1984 the legislature authorized the Court to provide mediation services to assist couples in reaching agreement about custody and parenting time before a court hearing. The goal is to empower parents to make decisions regarding custody and parenting time based on the best interest of the child. In addition, successful resolution by parents will save them both time and money.

Does Washington County require parenting programs for parents?

Yes. If you or the other party has filed an annulment, dissolution of marriage, legal separation, petitions to establish or modify custody or parenting time or a Filiation proceeding, AND if you have a child under the age of eighteen (18) you shall attend the family law education program. All parties are required to complete the Family Law Education Program offered by the court-designated providers or a pre-approved alternate education program. Parties shall register for the program or make application to the court for approval of a comparable alternate program within 15 days of receiving notice of this education requirement. Washington County is now using the Kid's Turn education program which also includes the children, and they may be contacted for registration, or site information by calling (503) 846-0665. Kids Turn program is administered by Youth Contact (see link below)

See also:

What is mediation?

Mediation is a cooperative problem-solving process in which a neutral professional assists the parties to define the issues in the dispute; and to make agreements that are in the best interest of the children. The disputing individuals meet together with a mediator who is trained to help parties solve problems in a cooperative manner. The mediator does not take sides or make decisions for the parents but helps them to communicate and to explore alternative solutions. The mediator may offer suggestions and help parents develop options to resolve the issues, but the final agreement is up to the parties.

What happens if we are ordered into mediation?

Mediation requires but is not limited to an orientation session and one session with the mediator. Orientation takes place in a class like fashion in a small conference room. It is facilitated by one of our staff mediators and includes:
  • 1. A power-point presentation
  • 2. A Judge's presentation
  • 3. An overview of mediation
  • 4. A summary of expectations and parameters
  • 5. An opportunity to ask questions
  • 6. Scheduling mediation appointments

A limited number of mediation appointments are available at approximately 10:00-12:00pm after the conclusion of orientation on Monday mornings.

There are no mediation sessions after orientation on Thursdays.

What is co-parent counseling?

Co-parent counseling is not mediation. It is an opportunity for parents to address issues that are often not addressed in their custody and parenting plan agreement. Examples of the topics parents bring to co-parent counseling are:
  • Communication
  • Parenting Style
  • Specific challenging topics that need to be addressed outside of court
  • Changes or concerns that have arisen since their mediation agreement was finalized.

  • If parents have or had an open court case they may access their mediation agreement was finzalized

What is the difference between Mediation Orientation and Mediation?

Mediation orientation is an informational session that is required before you mediate. It is held in a conference room in a class like fashion. You are required to register for a particular orientation presentation date and complete paperwork.

Mediation occurs in the mediator's office at conciliation services and is attended by you and your co-parent. Many of the questions regarding mediation are answered during the mediation orientation.

Parents are more prepared to use their mediation time effectively after that have acquired relevant information at orientation.

How can I get my spouse to come in?

If parents are in dispute over custody and parenting time, services are usually more effective when parties involved with an active domestic relations case are mandated to participate in mediation orientation and mediation.

Is there a fee for the service?

Local and Statewide fees are collected and distributed through the State; therefore, the following services are provided for FREE:

*Orientation and up to two mediation services
*Co-parent, couples or marital counseling - up to four sessions

There is a fee for additional services.

My spouse and I have a restraining order. Do we still have to mediate? Can we still mediate?

Mediation is an order of the court and restraining orders are also orders of the court. Both must be obeyed. The fact that there is a restraining order does not mean that you will be unable to reach some agreement. Conciliation Services has protocols in place to ensure safety. Please call conciliation services with any concerns or questions regarding safety protocols.

Can you train me to be a mediator?

No, we do not do mediation training. You might try contacting Oregon Mediation Association or Clackamas County Resolution Services (links below)

See also:

What if the other parent will not agree to come in?

Services are usually more effective when parties with an active domestic relations case are Court mandated to participate in mediation orientation and mediation. Parents may also seek a court order for both parties to attend co-parent counseling or our New Ways for Families high conflict class. Fees may apply.

Do you provide voluntary mediation?

Voluntary and mandated mediation is provided to help parents resolve custody and parenting time disputes. This service is provided to Washington County residences with minor children experiencing challenges in developing or implementing their custody and parenting time arrangements.

Meeting Information

What is the Board of Commissioners Meeting schedule?

First Tuesdays: Worksession 8:30 a.m. Regular Business Meeting 10:00 a.m.
Second Tuesdays: Extended Worksession 8:30 a.m.
Third Tuesdays: Worksession 8:30 a.m. Regular Business Meeting 10:00 a.m.
Fourth Tuesdays: Worksession 2:00 p.m. Regular Business Meeting 6:30 p.m.
Fifth Tuesdays: Generally, the Board does not meet on the fifth Tuesday of the month, unless it is deemed necessary by the Chairman. Should a Board meeting be scheduled on the fifth Tuesday of the month, timely notification will be given.

What is a Regular Board Meeting vs. Worksession?

Regular Business Meetings
Regular business meetings are the time during which the Board will consider the items published in their Board Agenda at the times noted above.

Prior to the Board’s regular business meetings, the Commissioners will meet for a general public worksession in Room 140 of the Public Services Center according to the schedule above. The purpose of this meeting is to provide the Board an opportunity to conduct informal communications with each other, review the agenda and identify questions they may have for staff before taking action on the agenda items in their regular business meeting. The Board typically asks our citizens observing the work¬session meetings to hold their agenda comments and questions for the regular business meeting.

What is the Board's Schedule on the Second Tuesday of the Month?

The Board has designated the second Tuesday of each month as a time that may be set aside for in-depth discussion of broader, strategic policy issues. Accordingly, Board consideration/action on regularly scheduled agenda items normally set on the second Tuesday of each month will be held only if necessary to make decisions that, in the Board’s judgment, cannot be reasonably held over to a regularly scheduled meeting. If formal actions are not considered on these Tuesdays, the Board may use this time to conduct an informal worksession, retreat or similar informal meeting. Minutes will be recorded of these meetings.

What is the Board's Schedule when there is a Fifth Tuesday in a Month?

Historically, the Board has not held meetings when there is a fifth Tuesday in a month. Since May of 1999, the Board has set aside these fifth Tuesdays to hold a worksession, retreat or similar informal meeting. The purpose of these meetings is to provide the Board some additional time to focus on specific issues on a more in depth basis. Unlike its regular Board meetings, these informal meetings are not recorded verbatim, but minutes will be taken as required by law. No formal actions will be taken during these meetings unless special meeting notices are provided as outlined in the Board’s Rules of Procedure. The Chairman will designate the location of these meetings 96 hours in advance

What is an Executive Session?

There are times when the Board must discuss confidential matters such as lawsuits, real estate transactions (or other sales transactions) and labor relations matters. When the Board calls an executive session (posted on the worksession agenda), it is done under the guidelines allowed for by Oregon State law. Each type of executive session generally fits under one of three types of State Laws that allow such closed sessions. These statutes are indicated on the worksession item. Although the press is allowed to remain in the room, they are not allowed to report on executive session issues. The Board recognizes the sensitivity of conducting closed sessions and only conducts them when confidentiality is required (and allowed by law) to protect the interests of Washington County and its taxpayers.

What is the Order of the Board Meeting?

The Board’s formal meetings typically include the following elements:

• Call to Order: At the start of the meeting, the Chairman (or Vice Chair) of the Board will call the meeting to order.
• Consent Agenda: The items on the Consent Agenda are considered routine and will all be adopted in one motion unless a Board member or person in the audience requests, before the vote on the motion, to have the item considered separately. If any item is removed from the Consent Agenda, the Chairman will indicate when it will be discussed in the regular agenda. A list of Consent Agenda items is included at the end of the agenda packet.
• Oral Communication (for non-agenda items): This is the time when members of the audience may step forward to address the Board. This opportunity is time-limited to 2 minutes per individual and 10 minutes total. If more time is needed, another (longer) oral communication opportunity is available at the end of the regular agenda. Speakers may select only one Oral Communication opportunity.
• Presentations, Proclamations, Boards and Commissions
• Public Hearings:. Special rules regarding testimony and time limits may be established by the Board at the start of the hearing.
• Regular Agenda Items: Regular agenda items are also known as “action” items and will follow the public hearings. These items are less formal than the public hearings but still provide the public the opportunity to comment on the proposed actions.
• Second Opportunity for Oral Communication (for non-agenda items): As noted above, this is the second opportunity for the public to address the Board if more than two minutes are needed. This opportunity is time-limited to 5 minutes per individual and 10 minutes per topic. The maximum time for Oral Communication is 30 minutes.
• Board Announcements: This is typically the time when the Board may want to provide other Board members, staff or the public with information regarding items that may or may not be on the Board’s agenda.
• Adjournment: At the conclusion of the items on the Board’s agenda, the Board Chair will formally conclude the Board’s regular business meeting.

Are Sign Language and Interpreters Available for Board Meeting Assistance?

The County will also upon request endeavor to arrange for the following services to be provided:
1. Qualified sign language interpreters for persons with speech or hearing impairments; and
2. Qualified bilingual interpreters.
Since these services must be scheduled with outside service providers, it is important to allow as much lead-time as possible. Please notify the County of your need by 5:00 p.m. on the Thursday preceding the meeting date (same phone numbers as listed above: 503-846-8611 or 503-846-4598).

What are the Guidelines on Speaking to the Board of Commissioners?

Meeting Protocol The Board of Commissioners welcomes public attendance and participation at its meetings. Anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item at a regular business meeting should feel free to do so. In doing so, the Board asks that the following guidelines be observed: 1. Please follow sign-in procedures located on the table by the entrance to the auditorium. 2. When your name is announced, please be seated at the table in front and state your name and home address (optional) for the record. If not stating address, please write it down for the record. 3. Groups or organizations wishing to make a presentation are asked to designate one spokesperson in the interest of time and to avoid repetition. 4. When more than one citizen is heard on any matter, please avoid repetition in your comments. Careful attention to the previous speaker’s remarks will be helpful in this regard.

Are there Alternatives to Televised Board Meeting Proceedings?

An alternative format to the televised proceedings of the meetings of the Washington County Board of Commissioners is available on request. Interested individuals may call the telephone number or TTY number noted below and request a verbatim transcript for this meeting.

Are Assistive Listening Devices Available for Board Meetings?

Assistive Listening Devices are available for persons with impaired hearing and can be scheduled for this meeting by calling 503-846-8611 (voice) or 503-846-4598 (TDD - Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf) no later than 5:00 p.m., on the Monday preceding the meeting.

What is the Time Limit for Public Testimony on Ordinances?

Public testimony for ordinances may be presented within the following time limits:
First and second hearing - 3 minutes for individuals and 12 minutes for groups
Additional hearings - 2 minutes for individuals and 5 minutes for groups

Metzger Park

What are the associated rental fees and deposits at Metzger Park?

Weekend Rates (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) 8AM to 11 PM (Non-LID Resident), $50 per hour, two-hour minimum rental. 8AM to 11 PM (LID Resident & Organizations*), $40.00 per hour, two-hour minimum rental. Renter must show proof of LID residency. Cleaning/Security Deposit - Refundable** $125.00 Weekday Rates (Monday through Thursday) 8AM to 11 PM (Non-LID Resident), $35.00 per hour First 2 hours per day (LID Resident & Organizations*) Free Greater than 2 hours (LID Resident & Organizations*), $35.00per hour Cleaning/Security Deposit - Refundable** $125.00 *Community Based Organization 501(c)(3), government, or LID Resident Sponsored **Repeat customers renting the building more than once in any twelve months period may request a waiver of the cleaning/security deposit. Repeat customers will be eligible for the waiver by thoroughly cleaning the building after each rental. Some or all of the cleaning/security deposit may be withheld if the building is not cleaned or the facility or furnishings are damaged. Determination of withholding will be made by Washington County Parks. Cancellation fees Cancellation 15 or more days prior - 25% of rental fee withheld Cancellation 14 or less days prior - 50% of rental fee withheld

What about food and alcohol?

At Metzger Park, you must furnish your own food, either catered or brought in. Alcohol is not permitted in Patricia D. Whiting Hall or in Metzger Park.

Who can I contact to schedule a time to view the Hall?

For more information please call (503) 846-7000

How do I reserve and confirm an event at Metzger Park?

Full payment of the hourly charge and security deposit will reserve the date for your event at Metzger Park. Reservations are taken on a "first come, first served" basis - (503) 846-7000

How many guests will Metzger Park Hall accommodate?

Metzger Park Hall can accommodate about 200 total. The facilities at Metzger Park Hall include:
One 1,200 square foot room with a sliding glass doors that leads to a patio area. This room can accommodate 100-150 people.
One 600 square foot room, with sliding glass doors, that leads to the beautiful Park outside. This room can accommodate 50-75.

What about the kitchen facilities?

Metzger Park Hall is equipped with a kitchen that includes a stove, refrigerator, microwave, and 100 cup coffee pot.

Does Metzger Park Hall provide linens, dishware or eating utensils?

No, linens, dishware or eating utensils are not provided at Metzger Park Hall.

What is the latest time my event needs to be over by at Metzger Park?

The hall at Metzger Park must be cleaned and emptied out by 11PM (Monday through Sunday).

Is there a minimum amount of hours I need to rent at Metzger Park?

Yes, at Metzger Park there is a three hour minimum. Set up and clean up time is included in the time that you pay for.

Is music or a DJ allowed at my event at Metzger Park?

Yes. Music is allowed as long as it is not so loud that it bothers the neighbors at Metzger Park.

Do I need to clean-up after my event at Metzger Park?

Yes. Your party is responsible for the clean-up at Metzger Park.

Does Metzger Park Hall have access to tables and chairs?

Yes. There are fifteen, 6 foot rectangular tables and 125 folding chairs available for your use.

Is there a phone information line for Washington County Park Reservations?

Yes. Information on Park reservations for Metzger Park and Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake can be obtained by dialing the Parks Group (503) 846-7000 Monday thru Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm (closed during the lunch hour noon to 1:00). The direct dial number for the Park Headquarters of Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake is (503) 846-7000. The Parks Manager and Rangers may be reached at this number as well.

Minor Betterments

How do minor betterment candidates make it on the list?

Anyone can submit a proposal to have a location added to the list. An easy-to-use form is available online but submissions can also be turned using e-mail, fax, regular mail, or even a phone call.

See also:

What are some examples of typical minor betterment projects?

Short pieces of sidewalk or patch construction that usually connect existing facilities, ADA ramp construction, minor road widenings and sight distance improvements are the most common types of projects built.

See also:

Who determines the scope of each project?

Staff from the County's Operations and Mainenance Division performs an initial project scoping that includes what work to perform and what the estimated cost may be. If the candidate is selected by the committee for further review, a more detailed analysis is performed by the engineering staff to provide an in-depth assessment of the work to be performed.

See also:

How do I know how a particular candidate ranks?

The minor betterment candidate list is not sorted by priority. Each year, the Minor Betterment Committee reviews the entire candidate list and selects projects based on a number of factors that influence the selection process. However,eligible candidates stay on the list until the project is built or the situation prompting the improvement is mitigated.

See also:


Are these sessions being recorded and available for viewing again later?

Yes. they are being recorded.

Why doesn’t the County have a climate action plan and climate advisory committee?

You will see the County beginning this conversation in earnest in the coming months. A considerable amount of foundational work has been done over the past several years related to sustainability and the County’s efforts as an organization to meet several goals related to energy efficiency, fuel consumption, as well as reducing waste, water usage and greenhouse gas emissions. For more information about Washington County’s Sustainability Program, please visit:

What is Chief Finance Officer Jack Liang’s contact info? and 503-846-8756.

Can you please provide a link to the participant guide?

Will the slides that have been presented throughout these presentations be available and how can they be accessed.

Here is a link to the presentation slides:

Will Washington County have anything similar to Multnomah County's Preschool for all?

Not at this time.

How many people attended each of the Community Investment Conversations?

November 12th- 44; November 16th- 58; November 18th- 47; November 21st- 57.


What do I do about excessive dust and noise created by the construction in my neighborhood?

Call Capital Project Management (503)846-7800 and register your complaint. Our field inspectors will be notified and will take action to resolve the problem.

Occupancy Standards

What is HAWC’s proposed change?

HAWC proposes to change its occupancy standards to two people per bedroom, regardless of gender, age, or relationship. Currently, HAWC allows two unrelated adults to have a two-bedroom voucher and an adult with one child to have a two-bedroom voucher. This change means that a household with a single parent and one child or a household with two unrelated adults will both qualify for a one-bedroom voucher instead of two. Note, however, that the family will not be impacted by this change unless the rent and utilities for their current unit exceeds the payment standard for the new voucher size.

How will this change impact me?

The proposed changes to occupancy standards will not apply to households who meet HUD’s definition of a “disabled family”. For all other households, these changes will impact you if 1) your current voucher size is greater than the number of people in your household divided by two (2) AND 2) your current gross rent (rent to your landlord plus (+) your utility allowance) is greater than the payment standard for the new voucher size.

Why does HAWC want to make this change?

HAWC is faced with rapidly rising housing costs, forcing it to either “thin the soup or remove chairs from the table”. By changing its occupancy standards, HAWC estimates that it will be able to serve an additional 130 voucher families. This is because the new occupancy standards will cause many families on the voucher program to either move to a less expensive unit or pay more in rent than they do today. However, if HAWC does nothing, the voucher program will continue to attrition, just as families in Washington County are in desperate need of more affordable housing.

How can I participate in the process?

HAWC will hold two public resident meetings in October to discuss these changes. The discussion will be part of HAWC’s proposal to apply to become a Moving to Work (MTW) agency. Residents are invited to participate in either of the public meetings to learn more about the changes and offer input.

What is an “occupancy standard”?

Occupancy standards are used by housing authorities to determine the voucher size for which a household qualifies. An occupancy standard can be based on the number of people in the household, the age and gender of household members, and the relationship of each household member to the household.

Onsite Sewage

I have undeveloped land and I want to install a septic system, what are my first steps?

Step One: Apply for a site evaluation. The site evaluation determines if a site is acceptable. If the site is acceptable, the site evaluation identifies the best location, type and size of system for the undeveloped property.

Step Two: Submit an application for construction/installation permit. Once the application is received, the documents will be reviewed and either approved or denied within two to five business days. If approved, a construction/installation permit is issued. 

Step Three: Construction/Installation permit is issued. Once you receive the permit, you may begin installation of the septic system. You are required to submit a request for inspection after the installation is complete, but before the system is backfilled.

Step Four: After the inspection is completed and approved, backfill the installation.

I have an existing system but cannot determine what type of application I need.  What are the different applications concerning existing systems?

Repair Permits are required for repairing/replacing failing sewage systems that serve existing facilities. 

Alteration Permits are required for changing/upgrading a sewage system for an existing facility.

Authorization Notices are evaluations of the existing system to determine if it is adequate for proposed use.

Existing System Evaluations are completed to determine the location and size of a system and to check if the system is currently functioning properly. 

Why do I need an "authorization" and  why do I need a file review and how long does it take?

An authorization evaluates if the existing sewage disposal system is adequate for a specific use. This can include reconnecting to, changing the use of, or increasing the projected daily sewage flow of an existing septic system. Most notices require a field visit. Authorization evaluations are usually completed in ten business days.

A file review is required for additions to existing buildings, such as, construction of outbuildings, swimming pools, decks, etc., to assure that the placements of these structures do not infringe on any portion of the existing septic system or the replacement area. A file review is completed within two to five business days after we receive a completed application, plot plan, and the authorization of representative form (if applicable).

Can I renew, reinstate or transfer my current septic permit?

Permits expire one year after the date of issuance and may be renewed or reinstated by the original permittee one time only. They must be renewed or reinstated within one year of the expiration date of the original permit and will expire one year after the original permit expiration date.

Permits may be transferred from the original permittee to a new property owner if the transfer is completed before the original permit expires, and no changes in the permit are needed. Otherwise, a new permit is required. A transferred permit carries the same expiration date as the original permit.

Note: Fee for renewal, reinstatement, or transfer of a permit is less than that of a new permit, see fee schedule.

See also:

What is the minimum capacity required for a tank and drainfield in relation to number of bedrooms?

A 1,000 gallon tank is the required minimum capacity for a home with one to four bedrooms. A 1,500 gallon tank is required for homes with five or more bedrooms. Specific septic tank capacities for commercial facilities are determined on a water use basis, generally a minimum of two times the projected daily sewage flow.  

How big does my property need to be to install a septic system?

Generally, when a well is located on the lot, two or more acres is needed for a standard septic system and a replacement area. If a lot is served by a community or public water system, a lot as small as 1/2 acre may be adequate.

When does the "no field visit" fee apply in a permit renewal application or an authorization application?

Permit renewals, reinstatements, transfers, and authorization notices for systems that are less than five years old and that do not require alteration(s) of the septic system may not require a filed visit. 

How can I locate my septic system?

There are three ways to locate a septic system:
-- Contact our office. If an as-built drawing exists we can e-mail, fax or copy the appropriate plot plans.
-- Try to determine where the plumbing exits on the foundation and follow the sewage line to the tanks.
-- Contact a licensed plumber who has the equipment necessary to help locate the system.

See also:


Is there a phone information line for all 3 Washington County Parks?

Yes. Washington County operates and maintains three parks within its boundaries. Metzger Park Local Improvement District, located at 8400 S.W. Hemlock, Portland, OR 97223 Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake, located at 50250 SW Scoggins Valley Rd. Gaston, OR 97119 Eagle Landing, 1/2 acre canoe & kayak access port on the Tualatin River, located at 26001 SW Rainbow Lane, Hillsboro, OR 97123 General Park information on County operated Parks can be obtained by dialing (503) 846-7000 Monday thru Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm (closed during the lunch hour - 1:00 to 2:00).

Is there a phone information line for Washington County Park Reservations?

Yes. Information on park reservations for Metzger Park and Scoggins Valley Park/Henry Hagg Lake can be obtained by dialing the Parks Group at (503) 846-7000 Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (closed during the lunch hour - 1:00 to 2:00).


How do you choose which roads to pave?

Our engineers look for certain conditions on the road surface before deciding what to do and when to do it. Loss of aggregate, certain types of cracking and other signs of stress are good indicators of what’s going on beneath the pavement, as well as the surface condition. We use sophisticated computer software that considers each road’s condition, prior maintenance history, and traffic loads to help us evaluate the most cost-effective treatment. Then, of course, we look at available funding, other projects in the area that might impact the road, and throw in a good dose of common sense. Since there are always more roads to pave than money to pave them, we wind up with a solid list of worthy candidates every year.

See also:

My neighborhood street is in worse shape than my neighbor’s street, but you paved his and didn’t do anything to mine! Why?

We spend a large portion of our budget on preventive maintenance. This makes good economic sense because a dollar spent on road maintenance today can save $5 on future maintenance costs. Most likely your street is already beyond the "quick fix" stage and will require more extensive (and expensive) repairs. We’ll get to it, but it may be another year or so. We do keep a "wish list" though, so don’t be shy - give us a call or e-mail us!

See also:

Why are you paving local roads in the urban areas of the county, but not the rural areas?

A. In 1994 voters in the unincorporated areas of the county voted to fund a special taxing district, the Urban Road Maintenance District (URMD), with property taxes. URMD provides paving and other routine road maintenance on urban neighborhood streets. Prior to URMD funding many Washington County neighborhood streets were full of potholes. Since 1994 the condition of these roads significantly improved, and we’re now focusing our efforts on preventive maintenance.

See also:

My rural local road is in terrible shape but instead of fixing it you paved the main road that had nothing wrong with it! Why?

Many years ago the Board of County Commissioners recognized that we do not receive sufficient revenue to meet the needs of our entire transportation system, so they set up a priority ranking system. The strategy is to maintain the heavily traveled roads that most of us use every day to move people and freight from one part of the county to another. Local neighborhood roads are given the lowest priority for repair. The main roads carry heavy loads - trucks, busses and thousands of cars every day. Without regular maintenance they quickly deteriorate, affecting residents, emergency service providers and commerce. On the other hand local roads are used primarily by adjacent residents. Even when these roads fall into disrepair, they rarely present a safety issue and have minimal impact on the overall health of the transportation system.

See also:

How can rural residents get their gravel road paved?

With over 250 miles of gravel roads in Washington County’s road maintenance inventory, the county cannot fund the cost of paving them all. Outside funding is needed to pay for this work. Assuming your road is not on the gravel road upgrade list where the county covers the cost, the neighborhood or a group must pay for it. Here are some specific issues and questions that should be considered.

First, as an alternative, you can elect to have a dust abatement product applied. This is a relatively low cost treatment that is usually done by a contractor. Last year’s costs (2009) were about $1 per running foot for an average 18- to 20-foot-wide road. The durability or life expectancy of the product, usually lignin sulfonate, is affected by rain after it is applied and the amount of traffic using the road. Under ideal conditions, dust abatement may last the entire season.

If dust abatement won’t work or if the annual cost just doesn’t make good economic sense, you may want to consider a paving project. Paving can be either a chip seal or hot-mix, it can be done through a local improvement district or as a cooperative project, and it can be done by or through the county or by you acquiring a right-of-way permit and hiring an approved contractor.

A local improvement district (LID) is the method most commonly used to pave a gravel road. Washington County adopted the LID process in Chapter 3.20 of the Washington County Code. It is petition based (the county prepares the petition, the neighborhood representative is responsible for gathering the signatures) and it requires a total of five Board of Commissioners meetings to finalize a project. The advantage of an LID is that, while it only takes a majority of the benefiting parties to approve the project, everyone pays their fair share. Another very attractive advantage is that payment can be made over a ten-year period. The disadvantage is that it is a long process; the petition needs to be completed by December for the project to be considered for the following summer’s work program. It also costs a little more for the establishment of the LID. Finally, it may tend to alienate the neighbors who don’t want the project but are forced to participate.

A cooperative project is much simpler and less time consuming than an LID. It is typically used when there is one or just a few individuals that are interested in a project. It requires that the estimated cost of the work be collected and deposited in an account with Washington County prior to any work starting. Commitments of this type typically need to be made to the county by March in order for us to get it on our work program for construction that year.

The next choice is the surfacing material. In most cases, a chip seal (also known as a bituminous surface treatment or as an oil mat) is the preferred alternative. It is comprised of three layers of closely controlled amounts of oil and rock. While not classified as a structural component, it is common in the county, especially on low volume (less than 300 to 400 vehicles per day) and light use (few trucks). Last year’s costs (2011) were $15.00 per square yard, or about $150,000 per mile, with preparation costs separate.

An asphalt concrete (hot mix) surface provides a higher level of service than a chip seal, usually has a better look, and is approximately two to three times as costly. It may be considered as a better choice by the neighborhood or may be required because of the amount of traffic anticipated.

Finally, the neighborhood can elect to have the county do the work (chip seal); hire their own contractor to apply a chip seal, subject to county construction standards; have the county add their paving onto the annual county overlay contract; or hire their own contractor working according to the county specifications.

So, there are four sets of choices to be made:

1. LID or COOP
2. Chip seal or hot mix asphalt
3. County or Contract
4. County management or the neighborhood acts as a "prime

For 80 to 90 percent of these types of projects undertaken in Washington County, the work is done as an LID, a chip seal is applied, with Washington County doing the work and serving as the prime contractor.

Hopefully, this summary of what you need to know and consider if you are thinking about having your gravel road upgraded has been helpful to you.

If you have any questions or if you would like to discuss a particular project, please contact Victoria Saager, Management Analyst II, at or at (503) 846-7616.

See also:

What is an asphalt overlay?

A new layer of asphalt is placed on the road, making it look brand new. First a layer of liquid asphalt or tack coat is sprayed on the road. Next, fabric may be placed on any badly broken areas for added strength. Finally hot asphaltic concrete is applied, raked and rolled to a prescribed density. Work moves quickly and you can drive on the new asphalt as soon as the rolling is complete. The work must be done when the ground is dry and reasonably warm.

What is a machine patch?

A new layer of asphalt is placed on sections of the road, perhaps leaving some gaps depending on condition. First a layer of liquid asphalt or tack coat is sprayed on the road. Next, fabric may be placed on any badly broken areas for added strength. Finally hot asphaltic concrete is applied, raked and rolled to a prescribed density. Work moves quickly and you can drive on the new asphalt as soon as the rolling is complete. The work must be done when the ground is dry and reasonably warm.

What is a Chip Seal?

Chip sealing is a preventive maintenance treatment that preserves the road surface and extends the life of the road. During the chip seal process, layers of emulsified asphalt and rock chips are placed on the road. A final layer of sand fills in voids and provides a smoother road surface. Bicyclists are advised to avoid roads during and immediately after chip sealing. After a few months the surface looks very similar to a paved hot mix asphalt surface.

See also:

What is a Slurry Seal?

A thin mix of liquid asphalt and fine aggregate is placed on the street as a preventive maintenance measure. If needed, the street will be patched and cracks sealed in the weeks prior to seal coat application. When the slurry seal is applied it may be brown, but gradually dries to black. You can drive on it after it solidifies in 4 to 6 hours. The work must be done during warm, dry weather.


Do I need a permit to work in the right-of-way?

A: Yes. Depending on what you want to do, you will probably need to obtain a Right-of-Way Permit or a Utility Permit. You may also need a permit if you are doing work that blocks the road or limits access to adjacent properties. Examples of work that typically require a permit are adding or repairing a driveway, sidewalk, storm drain, sewer line, or water line. Call (503) 846-7623 or e-mail to request a permit application.

See also:

Do I need a permit to drive an over-weight or over-sized load on a county road?

A. Yes. You need a Transportation Permit to drive an over-weight or over-sized load on any county road. Give us a call at (503) 846-7623 and we’ll help you plan your route to avoid weight-limited bridges and roads, and get you to your destination safely with minimal damage to the road.

See also:


Who is responsible for long range planning in Washington County?

The Board of County Commissioners, five elected officials who are the county’s ultimate decision making body for planning policy. Their decisions must be consistent with regional and statewide planning goals.

The Planning Commission, nine members appointed by the Board of County Commissioners for four-year terms. The Planning Commission advises the Board on legislative planning and development issues such as the adoption, revision or repeal of any Comprehensive Plan or implementing Ordinance or Code. For certain types of plan amendments, the Planning Commission makes the final land use decisions for the county. Planning Commission decisions can be appealed to the Board of Commissioners.

The Department of Land Use and Transportation’s (LUT) Planning Division, organized into community and transportation planning groups and cartography/GIS specialists

Adopted planning policies are ultimately implemented via the Community Development Code, administered by the county’s Current Planning Services Division of LUT. LUT’s Engineering, Operations and Capital Project Management Divisions also carry out policies.

How does the Planning Division organize its work?

Community Planning
The Community Planning Program is responsible for the preparation, maintenance and periodic update of the county’s Comprehensive Plan. They monitor the plan and keep it in conformance with state and regional requirements; they also address community issues identified by the Board of Commissioners. Responsibilities include direct involvement with individual citizens, community organizations, cities and affected county and state agencies. Additionally, this program helps coordinate the county’s involvement in state, regional and county-wide planning activities.

Transportation Planning
The Transportation section’s primary responsibility is preparing and periodically updating the long-range (20-year) county transportation plan. Other major duties include working with Metro and ODOT on regional transportation issues and initiatives, travel forecasting, oversight and coordination of the countywide Traffic Impact Fee (TIF) program, bicycle and pedestrian planning, and planning support for other LUT divisions. They also staff monthly Washington County Coordinating Committee meetings, a regular forum for local elected officials to discuss transportation issues. Transportation planning activities include considerable involvement and discussion with county interest groups and residents in general.

Economic and Demographic Information Services
This program provides technical support for long-range planning and transportation projects. Activities include population and employment forecasting, growth analysis, data support for travel demand modeling, and management of population, employment, housing and development related information to support public facility and service programs throughout the county. They are also responsible for the ongoing coordination of Planning’s Geographic Information System (GIS).

What is the Long Range Planning Work Program?

Each year after considering Plan update requirements and issues brought forward by the above parties, the Planning Division prepares a draft work program for approval by the Board of Commissioners. The draft work program describes and prioritizes potential planning projects and land use ordinances as well as other planning activities for the year. Often the program contains issue papers that provide background information, facts and staff recommendations on various topics.

The draft work program is then distributed to the Planning Commission, CPOs, CCI and other interested parties for consideration and comments. It is also posted on Long Range Planning’s Web page. After considering the proposed work program, available staff resources and public comments, a final work program is approved by the Board.

What are Land Use Ordinances?

A Land Use Ordinance adopts, amends or repeals provisions of the county’s Comprehensive Plan, including the Community Development Code, the Transportation Plan and land use designations. An ordinance is filed when the Board of Commissioners directs staff to file the ordinance to address a specific issue. Afterwards, the Planning Commission must have at least one public hearing and make a recommendation to the Board.

The Board will then hold at least one public hearing before taking action on the ordinance. If the Board decides to make changes, the Board must hold at least two additional public hearings about the revised ordinance. A land use ordinance does not include such subjects as financing public improvements, road engineering and utility standards, building codes, development fees, sewer or septic regulations or nuisance control.

The ordinance hearing season is from March 1 to October 31 of each calendar year. No proposed land use ordinance may be adopted on or after November 1. If a final decision on a land use ordinance has not been reached by October 31, the ordinance is deemed rejected unless the Board continues it to a specific date on or after March 1 of the subsequent year.

Citizens who want to receive descriptions of all proposed land use ordinances during a calendar year may subscribe to a mailing list for a small fee.

What are Issue Papers?

The Long Range Planning Division often prepares issue papers for the Board of Commissioners or the Planning Commission about issues raised at public hearings, or to address specific topics for the work program or other issues identified by the Board. Planning staff begins work by doing research and preparing papers that set forth the pertinent history, regulations, and a range of options. These may take a number of months to draft. The papers are then presented to the Board of Commissioners for their deliberation.

Issue papers are provided to the public for review and comment when they have been sent to the Planning Commission or the Board. Often the CPOs take this opportunity to study the papers and offer their insights to the Commissioners. These comments may be offered in writing or in person at regularly scheduled Board meetings, in the oral communications at the beginning and end of the meetings.

What are Quasi-Judicial Plan Amendments?

Quasi-Judicial Plan Amendments usually involve requests to amend the comprehensive plan map and land use designation for a specific parcel. Quasi-judicial plan amendments differ from legislative plan amendments (i.e., land use ordinances) in that they involve a limited number of parcels; legislative map amendments affect a large number of parcels or all parcels of land similarly designated.

Amendments can involve a change to either the Rural/Natural Resource Plan or urban Community Plans. Quasi-judicial plan amendments are processed through a Type III procedure (public hearing before the Planning Commission and sometimes the Board of Commissioners). They are subject to the rules and procedures in ORS 197.763 for public notice and hearing procedures. In most cases the Planning Commission is the final decision maker. In cases where a plan amendment requires an exception to statewide Planning Goals or involves a map change affecting the EFU (Exclusive Farm Use), EFC (Exclusive Forest and Conservation) or AF-20 (Agriculture and Forestry 20 acre) Districts, the Planning Commission makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners rather than making a final decision. In these cases, two hearings are required, one before the Planning Commission and one before the Board.

The first step in the quasi-judicial plan amendment process is to talk with a county planner about the process and potential issues. This information can easily be provided over the telephone. If a person then decides to submit an application, the planner will schedule a pre-application conference. During the pre-application conference, the planner will provide more detailed information about potential issues and review criteria to be addressed, an estimate of application costs, written handouts and application forms, and a written summary of the topics discussed.

There are two application deadlines each year, February 15 and August 15. Complete applications received by February 15 will be placed on the Planning Commission’s summer hearing schedule; those received by August 15 will usually be scheduled for a fall or winter hearing. An application cannot be scheduled for a hearing until it is deemed complete and accepted by the county.

As of January 2006, an initial deposit of $2,100 must be submitted with the application. This payment is a deposit towards the cost of processing the application. The applicant will be required to sign a contract and agree to pay the full cost of processing the application.

How are issue topics brought to the planning process?

Citizen input, often via the Citizen Participation Organizations (CPO’s) and their leadership group, the Committee for Citizen Involvement (CCI)

State and regional requirements for coordination and compliance

Board of Commissioners’ and Planning Commission input

Staff input, especially county Land Development staff who are charged with implementing the long range community plans


When do I need a permit for plumbing work?

When replacing water heaters and underground piping; alter piping inside a wall or ceiling, or beneath a floor, and for plumbing in all new installations.

Emergency repair, alteration or replacement of freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, if new piping exceeds 5 feet.

Remodel or add on to your one-or-two family dwelling when existing plumbing is to be relocated. This includes installation of building sewers, water service and exterior drains.

Can I do my own plumbing work on my one-or-two family dwelling?

Yes, as the owner of a one-or-two family dwelling, you can either hire a licensed plumbing contractor or do the plumbing work yourself without a license. A friend, neighbor, tenant, general contractor or other person cannot legally do the plumbing work unless he or she is a licensed plumber working on behalf of a licensed plumbing contractor.

All materials (pipe, pipe fittings, fixtures and other devices used in plumbing systems) must be listed and approved for their specific uses. This is especially important when installing materials that come into contact with drinking water.

If you hire a plumbing contractor, ask for his or her business registration and ask for the license number of any journeyman plumber performing work. Plumbing contractors must also be registered with the Construction Contractors Board.

Where can I find the Plumbing Code?

At your local library or see the Plumbing Code link below.

See also:

Can I disconnect my kitchen sink and bath/shower and use the water to water my garden?

No, Oregon does not have a code that would allow for this. Gray water must be treated either through a public system or a Health department approved septic system.

When is a plumbing permit not required?

When a property owner does "ordinary minor repairs" to plumbing systems on his or her own property, which means repair, replacement, or maintenance of existing accessible fixtures, parts, and appliances and their related water and drain attachments. Do not alter the complete existing plumbing system without a permit.

Can I use rain water collected from my roof to water my garden or flush my toilets?

Yes, Appendix M of the Plumbing Code allows for potable and non-potable use of rain water on commercial and residential properties.


What is the purpose of OFLA and FMLA?

FMLA and OFLA are intended to allow employees to balance their work and family life by taking reasonable unpaid leave for certain qualifying situations. The Act is intended to balance the demands of the workplace with the needs of families, to promote the stability and economic security of families, and to promote national interests in preserving family integrity. When a family emergency arises, requiring workers to attend to their own serious health condition or that of a qualified family member, or to bond with a newly-born infant or newly adopted child, workers need assurance that they will not be asked to choose between continuing their employment, and meeting their personal and family obligations or tending to vital needs at home.

How are absences under OFLA and FMLA different than just using sick leave?

Under Washington County’s Personnel Rules and Regulations, absences from duty can be treated as unexcused and employees can be disciplined for habitual or excessive absences or abuse of sick leave privileges. However, when you are absent due to a qualifying situation under OFLA or FMLA, Washington County may not treat these absences as unexcused or disciplinary incidents under attendance policies. In addition, employees have reinstatement rights when their protected leave ends.

What events qualify for leave under OFLA and FMLA?

A few notable differences are listed below: -OFLA allows leave for a parent to care for a child due to a non-serious health condition that requires home care (‘sick child leave’). -During a period of military conflict, OFLA allows a covered employee up to 14 calendar days of leave per deployment for a spouse or same-sex domestic partner of a member of the Armed Forces, National Guard, or military reserve forces who has been called to active duty or notified of impending call to active duty, or who is on leave from active duty. -OFLA allows leave for the serious health condition of parent-in-law, same-sex domestic partner, grandparent, and grandchild. -FMLA allows leave for any qualifying exigency occurring because an employee’s spouse, son, daughter or parent is on active duty in the uniformed services or has been notified of an impending call to active duty status in support of a contingency operation. -FMLA allows an eligible employee to take a combined total of 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a family member who is serving in the military and has a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of duty while on active duty.

Are there any additional leave entitlements for employees under OFLA or FMLA?

A few notable additions to leave entitlements are listed below: -OFLA allows a woman using leave due to an illness, injury or condition related to pregnancy or childbirth to take an additional 12 weeks of OFLA during the same leave year. -OFLA allows a parent who uses a full 12 weeks of parental leave to use up to 12 weeks of leave to care for a child due to a non-serious health condition that requires home care (‘sick child leave’). -The Oregon Military Family Leave Act (OMFLA) allows an eligible employee to take up to 14 calendar days per call or order to active duty or notification of leave from deployment. -FMLA allows an eligible employee who is the spouse, son, daughter, parent or next of kin of a covered military service member to take up to 26 weeks of leave in a single 12-month period to care for the military service member who is recovering from a serious illness or injury incurred in the line of duty on active duty in the Armed Forces.

If employers are covered by both OFLA and FMLA, does that mean that employers are required to give 24 weeks of leave, instead of 12 weeks, in a year?

Leaves that qualify under both OFLA and FMLA will run concurrently, with an employee generally being entitled to a total of 12 weeks of protected leave. For example, if an employee needs 12 weeks to care for a parent with a serious health condition, the 12 weeks are counted against OFLA and FMLA and the employee will exhaust their leave entitlements under both OFLA and FMLA. For leaves that qualify under OFLA, but not FMLA (serious health condition of a grandparent), absences are counted against OFLA, but not FMLA. As a result an employee that uses 12 weeks to care for a grandparent with a serious health condition will have exhausted their OFLA entitlements, but will still have 12 weeks of protected leave under FMLA remaining. In such cases, an employee may be entitled to more than 12 weeks of protected leave in a leave year.

Are both parents entitled to a full 12 weeks of parental leave?

Yes. However, Washington County may require that the parents take their parental leave at different times instead of concurrently if the concurrent leave would result in a business hardship. Unless approved by the appointing authority, family members that are both working for Washington County will be allowed to take concurrent leave only if one of the employees is caring for another employee who is suffering from a serious health condition.

Am I required to use my accrued leave banks during a qualified family medical leave?

For absences due to your serious health condition or that of a qualified family member, Washington County requires that you exhaust all accrued sick leave, then any other accrued paid leave (vacation, floating holiday, and administrative leave) before going into unpaid leave. For parental leave, you may elect to use up to the equivalent of six (6) weeks of accrued sick leave prior to using other accrued paid leaves. Once six weeks of accrued sick leave has been used, you will be required to use all accrued paid leave. Upon exhaustion of all other accrued paid leave, you may elect to use any remaining accrued sick leave, or you may begin unpaid leave for the duration of your qualified ‘parental leave’. Example: An employee requests ten weeks of family leave to care for her sick parent. The employee has accrued five weeks of vacation leave and two of sick. Washington County requires that employees use sick leave accruals, then vacation accruals, administrative leave and floating holiday before going into unpaid leave. In this example, the employee would be required to use her accrued paid sick leave (2 weeks) as well as the accrued vacation leave (5 weeks). The employee must then take the remaining three weeks as unpaid leave.

Does the time an employee works in a modified duty capacity count towards FMLA?

Work that an employee performs in modified duty does not count as FMLA leave. However, if a work schedule is reduced as a result of a serious health condition, the absences from duty will be counted towards OFLA and FMLA entitlements. For example, if a FT employee (40 hours per week) is temporarily reduced to half-time (20 hours per week) due to a serious health condition, the 20 hours that the employee is absent during each week will be counted towards OFLA and/or FMLA.

Can an employee who is in the process of adopting a child, take time off work to meet with the adoption agency and to attend court hearings?

A qualified employee may take protected leave to arrange for an adoption or placement of a foster child, which include absences to attend counseling sessions, court appearances, and consultations with an attorney or doctor related to the adoption process. Such absences qualify as ‘parental leave’. An employee is entitled to use the remainder of their FMLA or OFLA entitlements to care for and bond with the new child within the first year after the adoption or foster care placement (parental leave).

What is included in pregnancy disability leave under OFLA or FMLA?

Pregnancy disability leave covered under both OFLA and FMLA is defined to include incapacity due to pregnancy or childbirth and may include: -Partial day or full-day absences for serious morning sickness; -Periods of bed rest ordered by the pregnant employee’s physician; -A reduced work schedule necessitated by pregnancy complications; -Routine prenatal visits to the doctor; and -Leave following the childbirth, when the employee is still incapacitated.

Am I required to provide medical certification for my leave under FMLA or OFLA?

Washington County can make medical inquiries whenever they are "job-related and consistent with business necessity" For leaves due to the serious health condition of you or your qualified family member, Washington County is entitled to require sufficient medical verification to determine if your absence is for a qualifying family leave reason. For sick child leave under OFLA, medical certification can only be required after the third day or third occurrence of such leave.

Is a temporary employee entitled to take OFLA or FMLA leave?

A temporary employee is entitled to OFLA or FMLA leave provided the individual meets the eligibility requirements under OFLA or FMLA

What notice is required from an employee wishing to take leave?

An employee is required to contact UNUM and their supervisor immediately to report a family/medical leave 30 days before a planned leave. If 30 days notice is not possible, an employee must give as much notice as practicable. For unforeseeable or emergency situations, contact UNUM and your supervisor as soon as possible before or after starting the leave.

Who is eligible to take OFLA leave?

An employee must have been employed by Washington County for a period of 180 calendar days immediately preceding the date the leave begins; and the employee must have worked at least an average of 25 hours per week during the 180-day period, unless the leave is to care for a newborn child or newly placed adoptive or foster child (‘parental leave’).

Who is eligible to take FMLA leave?

An employee must have been employed by Washington County for a total of at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutive); and must have worked for at least 1,250 hours during the 12 month period immediately preceding the leave.

Can absences due to a job-related illness or injury also be counted as leave under OFLA or FMLA?

Any period of leave as a result of a disabling, compensable job-related illness or injury may be counted towards FMLA entitlements if it meets the definition of a serious health condition under FMLA. Under OFLA, periods of leave due to a disabling, compensable on-the-job injury may not be counted as qualified family leave and therefore may not be counted against an employee’s OFLA entitlements.

How much leave can an employee take under OFLA and FMLA?

Generally, a qualified employee is entitled to a total of 12 weeks of protected leave within a leave year for any qualified event.

What laws require employers to give family leave?

The Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA) and the federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) each requires employers to provide eligible employees up to 12 weeks of protected leave during a leave year in certain qualifying situations.

Does parental leave automatically begin when an employee’s baby is born?

Under FMLA and OFLA, an employee may choose to begin their parental leave any time after the birth, adoption, or placement of a foster child, so long as the parental leave is completed by the child’s first birthday or one year from the adoption or placement of a foster child.

Who has to pay for the cost of the medical verification?

Washington County is required to pay out-of-pocket costs associated with OFLA or FMLA medical verifications.

How is an employee’s job protected during a leave qualified under OFLA or FMLA?

Washington County must allow an employee that takes qualified leave under OFLA or FMLA to return to their former position or to an available equivalent position if the former position no longer exists.

Is it required that an employee be notified that time off is being designated as family leave under OFLA or FMLA?

With the recent change to UNUM for FMLA/OFLA leave administration, UNUM will provide employees with written notice informing them of the leave designation when their leave will be charged to their FMLA or OFLA leave bank. In addition, the written notice will provide the employee with information regarding their rights and responsibilities under FMLA or OFLA.

Probation and Parole

What are typical conditions of probation?

The goals are to prevent new offenses; restore victims and the community; and build success of youth in their family, school, and circle of friends. The conditions of probation are designed to help achieve those goals and often include:

*Avoiding further violations of the law
*Avoiding alcohol and drugs
*Restitution to victims
*Community service work
*Attending school and performing well
*Reporting regularly to the probation counselor
*Learning new skills that make future crime less likely

What does "no contact" mean?

When the Court or Parole Board imposes this condition, it means you cannot have any contact whatsoever with the listed person. That means no person-to-person contact, such as meeting the person, no telephone contact which includes leaving messages, no texting, e-mailing or letter writing. In addition, you are not allowed to contact the person through a third-party, such as a friend or relative. The no-contact condition is strictly enforced. If there are any questions regarding this condition, please talk it over with your Parole/Probation Officer.

What is the difference between court fees and supervision fees?

Most clients on probation supervision in Oregon are required to "pay supervision fees, fines, restitution or other fees ordered by the court." In Washington County, clients are required to pay a supervision fee of $35 per month. Court fines and fees, which are different from supervision fees, are determined by the Court and may include fines, restitution/compensatory fees, and/or other statutory fees. The Court will either set a monthly payment amount, or order the Probation and Parole Officer to set the amount.

See also:

What is bench probation?

Bench probation, sometimes also called "court probation" is an unsupervised probation. This means that, although the special conditions imposed by the Court are still in effect and you have to abide by them, you do not have to report to a Parole/Probation Officer. When you are on bench probation, all special conditions, including the payment of court fees, need to be completed no later than 90 days prior to the end of the probation period.

VERY IMPORTANT! When you are on probation, especially bench probation, it is essential that you notify the Court of any change of address. That way, if the Court needs to contact you, there will be no problems. However, if the Court does not have your current address, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

How do I obtain a travel permit to leave the state?

You need the written permission of your Probation and Parole Officer to travel outside of Oregon. Failure to obtain permission, prior to leaving the state, is a violation of your supervision conditions and could result in a sanction. It is important to plan ahead and request a travel permit several days ahead of when you actually need it. You don’t want to find yourself needing a permit for an important trip, only to find out that your supervising officer is unavailable or that the office is closed for a holiday.

What is post-prison supervision?

Parole and post-prison supervision are typically community supervision that follows a period of incarceration in a state prison. Post-prison supervision and parole are often used synonymously, but post-prison supervision is the correct term for convictions that have occurred on or after November 1, 1989. In either case, a Probation and Parole Officer monitors conditions imposed by the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision. One may also be placed on post-prison supervision following revocation of felony probation and a period of incarceration in a local jail.

How do I pay court fines and fees?

Court fines and fee payments should be made to the State of Oregon. Payments can be paid in person, by mail, or by phone. Payments should be made in the County of conviction.

Court payment options:

• In Person: Cashiers can accept cash, checks or money orders,
payable to State of Oregon. MasterCard, Visa, and debit cards with
a Visa logo are accepted.

• Telephone: Credit Card Only. Call (503)846-8888 to reach the
accounting department and follow the instructions:
Press #3 during the automated message, then press #5.
Please Note: Credit card payments via the telephone cannot
be accepted if there are restitution or compensatory fines
involved with your case.

• Mail: Send payment to:

Washington County Circuit Court
Attn: Accounting
150 North First Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Make your check or money order payable to State of Oregon, with the case number written on it. If you need a receipt, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope

I am homeless. How do I find housing?

If you are homeless and in need of housing, you are encouraged to talk to your probation or parole officer. Officers are aware of community resources and may know where you can get help. You can also call the following for assistance:
-- 211 Information and Referral (simply dial 2 1 1)
-- Washington County Family Shelter Network (available 24 hours a day) (503)640-3263

See also:

When will I be allowed to have contact with a victim?

If you have been convicted of a domestic violence crime, and you and your victim desire to have contact, you will first be required to complete at least twelve weeks of treatment and have the recommendation of your treatment provider. If you violate the conditions of your supervision, or are convicted of a re-assault against your victim, you will not be granted permission for contact in the foreseeable future.

How long does probation last?

Probation is usually imposed by a judge without a definite time for it to end -- the reason for this is to place responsibility on the youth. Six months to two years is a common period of probation. The length of time depends on the nature of the offense, the need for supervision, and the youth’s progress in complying with conditions and meeting goals.

How do I transfer my supervision to another county?

See the following webpage for transferring supervision.

See also:

What is a special condition of supervision?

The Court imposes "general conditions" of supervision on everyone placed on probation. It is not unusual for the Court to also impose "special conditions". These are one or more conditions specific to the crime committed. Examples of special conditions are drug treatment for a drug possession conviction and a "no contact" order, between probationer and victim, in a domestic violence case.

How do I obtain a Social Security card?

The Social Security Administration will provide information on obtaining a new or replacement card (see link below.)

See also:

How do I obtain ID?

There are new laws in effect that specify the documents required to obtain a drivers license or identification card. The new DMV requirements can be found at the website below. In some cases, your Probation and Parole Officer may be able to provide verification of your social security number or address that you can present to DMV.

See also:

How do I contact the Oregon Department of Revenue?

This agency's information is provided below.

See also:

Public Safety

What efforts is the County taking to incorporate the community concerns reported by the Washington County Racial Equity Collaborative in September regarding public safety models that reallocate funding to focus squarely on social services rather than poli

The Board was in receipt of the report on September 29th. In addition to the report from the Community Listening Sessions regarding the Body Worn Camera Program, there has been additional input from across the community, with varying opinions on this issue. At their December 15 business meeting, the Board voted to approve the expenditure of approximately $1.3 million over five years to provide full deployment of cameras for 210 deputies and upfit 129 patrol vehicles with related technology equipment. For more on their decision, please visit

The community input report from the Washington County Racial Equity Collaborative stated that the community wants a shift toward funding social services and away from funding policing. This is also backed by community organizations basing their proposals

The general government and the public safety functional areas are the functions primarily supported by general fund revenues. The other functional areas like Housing, Health and Human Services, Land Use and Transportation and Culture, Education and Recreation have historically received larger proportions of federal and state funding as well as other revenues to support their operations. The Board of Commissioners are committed to centering community need in future versions of the County budget and will take all input into consideration in their spending decisions.

In the last three years has the County reviewed the number of cases the DA's office has brought before a Washington County jury in which the jury has found there was insufficient proof?

Criminal cases are resolved in a variety of ways in addition to jury trials. In 2019 the District Attorney’s Office reviewed approximately 11,800 cases for charges, filed approximately 9,000 cases and took approximately 300 cases to trial. The majority of cases that proceed to trial result in a conviction—sometimes by jury, other times as determined by a judge in a bench trial without a jury. Additionally, the DA’s Office served approximately 12,500 crime victims in 2019. The District Attorney’s Office is an independent office headed by an independently elected state official.

In referring to Harrington’s comment that “once the budget is in the hands of the Sheriff’s, it’s theirs to do what they want with it”—how can we address that major issue? Can public leaders or the community have input on what the sheriff has control over

There would need to be a statutory change for the Board to have that sort of oversight. California recently passed legislation (earlier this summer) that provided counties this increased oversight. This sort of law would need to be passed at the state legislature. As for community engagement with the Sheriff, opportunities include the newly formed Latino Policy Advisory Council, and the Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District Advisory Committee.

Will the community input report written by the Racial Equity Collaborative regarding policing and the County chair's proposed increase to the Sheriff's budget by $1.5 million be taken into account for the 2021-2022 budget, along with the comments and inpu

Yes. In addition to the report from the Community Listening Sessions regarding the Body Worn Camera Program, there has been additional input from across the community, with varying opinions on this issue. At their December 15 business meeting, the Board voted to approve the expenditure of approximately $1.3 million over five years to provide full deployment of cameras for 210 deputies and upfit 129 patrol vehicles with related technology equipment. For more on their decision, please visit

Does the County have follow-up information from the state mandated funding requirements alluded to at the last community investment conversation?

There are many areas where the County services are subject to certain mandates and statutes. Many of these services are funded partially by the State as well. The County has not assembled a list of the state-mandated services in the past but have plans to do so in the next fiscal year. In the meantime, the State/County Shared Services Chart maintained by the Association of Oregon Counties provides a very good overview of where state and County services intersect.

Is it true that the public safety levy passed in May, which was heavily advertised as being focused on social services, actually went over 60% to the Sheriff's department, and only 4% to housing and other services?

Here is the link to the budget, page 114-115 provides the breakdown of the Public Safety Levy.

Public Safety does not really have a public safety element. It is for addressing the symptoms, policing, punishment and correction. Whom do we speak to about changing the language so that the words used are reflective of what the purpose is?

Public Safety with regard to the County budget refers to a “functional area” and includes many services beyond policing and prosecution. These are especially evident within the Juvenile and Community Corrections Departments who provide an array of programs and services which support positive behavior change, victim assistance and community restoration.

Who approves the Sheriff’s budget?

The Board of Commissioners approve the Sheriff’s Office budget.

Why is so much of the general fund allocated to public safety?

The general government and the public safety functional areas are the functions primarily supported by general fund revenues. The other functional areas like Housing, Health and Human Services, Land Use and Transportation, and Culture, Education and Recreation has historically received larger proportions of federal and state funding as well as other revenues to support their operations.

The hardships COVID-19 has caused on our community and knowing that resources are limited, what is the reasoning behind not shifting funding from public safety to housing, health and human services?

Working through the pandemic response the County has had to maintain services throughout -in addition to deploying the federal relief dollars. Most of those federal funds were dedicated to the Public Health Response. You can see more about how those funds were distributed here.

Was the levy that overwhelmingly passed in May regarding funding of sheriff a special fund?

Yes, revenue from the Public Safety Local Option Levy is a "special fund" that supports services provided by the Sheriff’s Office, District Attorney’s Office, Juvenile Department, Community Corrections and it also funds services specifically aimed at victims of domestic violence.

Public Safety Levy Renewal

What services would be funded with the renewal of the Public Safety Levy?

A renewed Public Safety levy would provide funds for personnel and services over five years for: • Emergency shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and related victims’ assistance; • A mental health response team of deputies and mental health professionals who help people in crisis get medical assistance instead of going to jail; • Juvenile programs that reduce crime; • Special enforcement teams (major crimes, SWAT, child abuse and child pornography, gangs and narcotics) serving all areas of the county; • Jail and work release center operating at full capacity to minimize early offender release; • Prosecution services; • Parole and probation services.

See also:

Why are emergency shelters funded through this Public Safety Levy?

Services to victims are an important part of the countywide criminal justice system. Victims of domestic violence and other crimes tend to be families. In many cases, women and children can no longer safely reside in their homes after these crimes have occurred. Renewal of the Public Safety Levy would continue to help pay for emergency shelters for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Shelters currently funded by the levy are operated by Community Action, the Domestic Violence Resource Center, Family Promise, the Good Neighbor Center, and Safe Place Youth Shelter.

See also:

What is the Mental Health Response Team (MHRT)?

Law enforcement is often called to situations involving a mental health crisis. The MHRT combines a deputy and mental health professional in the same patrol car to help people in crisis get medical assistance instead of going to jail. Last year, nearly all of the team’s 3,245 mental health calls resulted in non-traditional law enforcement solutions such as helping individuals get immediate medical care or follow-up response to ensure a safe outcome to a crisis.

See also:

How would the County be able to address increasing demand for public safety services if the levy tax rate remains the same?

While fixed tax rate of 42¢ per $1,000 of assessed value is unchanged, the assessed value on individual properties can grow up to 3 percent per year, with some exceptions such as when a home is remodeled and expanded. Additionally, new development is increasing the overall property tax base. If the levy is renewed, these factors would make it possible for the County to make targeted increases in staffing over the five years to maintain service levels even as demand increases due to population growth.

See also:

How would the Public Safety Levy funds get divided between the various service areas (County Departments)?

Levy funds would be divided as follows: Sheriff’s Office 59% District Attorney 13% Juvenile 6% Community Corrections 18% Shelters 3% Other 1%

See also:

Would County public safety services increase, decrease or stay the same if this measure is approved?

Renewal of the Public Safety Levy would continue funding for the same core public safety services. Service levels would be maintained even with the increased demand associated with population growth.

See also:

How much revenue would the Public Safety Levy Renewal generate?

Renewing the expiring Public Safety Levy would generate approximately $132 million over five fiscal years. The year-by-year totals would be: $24.3 million in 2016-2017 $25.3 million in 2017-2018 $26.4 million in 2018-2019 $27.5 million in 2019-2020 $28.7 million in 2020-2021

How many positions would the Public Safety Levy Renewal fund?

The current levy pays for 135 of the 854 positions that serve in the County’s public safety system. If the levy is renewed, that number would slowly grow over the five-year life of the levy to 150 positions by 2020.

How is the Public Safety Levy different from the Enhanced Sheriff’s Patrol District (ESPD) levy?

The ESPD serves residents of urban unincorporated Washington County (outside cities). The ESPD levy pays for a level of patrol that is similar to what neighboring cities provide. Like the role it plays for city residents, the Public Safety Levy provides those served by the ESPD with other public safety services including prosecution, jail, probation and parole, special teams, and juvenile crime prevention.

See also:

If the Public Safety Levy Renewal fails, what would happen to countywide public safety services?

The expiring Public Safety Levy provides funding for about 16 percent of the County justice system workforce. Although public safety would remain a County priority, reductions affecting prosecution, law enforcement, jail and work release center, offender supervision, and emergency shelters would be likely without levy funding.

How would the Public Safety Levy Renewal affect a homeowner’s taxes?

The five-year levy would continue a fixed rate of 42¢ per $1,000 of assessed value, which is unchanged from the current levy. There has been no increase in the Public Safety Levy rate since it was first approved by voters in 2000. A typical homeowner would pay about $107 in 2016. This assumes an average assessed value (not market value) of $255,408.

See also:

Are these Public Safety services provided throughout the county?

Yes. These public safety services are provided to all cities, urban unincorporated and rural areas of Washington County. City police departments rely on the County for other law enforcement services including prosecution, jail, probation and parole, special teams and juvenile crime prevention.

See also:

Real Property

What does a yellow property tax statement mean?

A yellow tax statement means that according to our records a mortgage company (or Oregon Department of Revenue/Senior/Disabled Deferral Program) has requested the tax bill.

However, if you have refinanced your property, changed mortgage companies, paid off your mortgage, or had some other type of change with your mortgage in the last several months, the payment arrangements may have changed.

When in doubt, check with your mortgage company to confirm that they are paying your taxes. Remember: You are ultimately responsible for the timely payment of your property taxes.

See also:

How much are my property taxes for this year?

Your total tax amount is indicated on the front of your tax statement. To receive a 3% discount, payments must be postmarked by November 15, 2021. "Payment Instructions and Schedules" are clearly printed on the back of the statement. The county Tax Collections office accepts cash, check, money order, VISA/MasterCard, Discover, and American Express as forms of payment. A 2.45% (minimum $1.50) convenience fee will be charged on all credit card payments. All payments are processed upon receipt. The county will accept a check or money order for payments by mail. Internet online payments are accepted at the website below. The county will accept credit cards, debit cards or e-checks for online payments via the internet. There are two drop box locations in the Public Services Building, 155 N. First Ave., Hillsboro -West side of building (24-hour drop site); the other drop box is located in the Public Services Building front entrance lobby outside of Ste. 130 (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).

See also:

What happens if I cannot pay my tax bill?

Discount is lost and interest on any past due amounts accrues on the 16th of each month at a rate of 16% annually, or 1 1/3% per month. In Oregon, real property is normally subject to foreclosure three years after the taxes become delinquent. Property taxes can be paid in full by November 15 to avoid interest, or in three installments: November 15, February 15, and May 15. If the taxes are not paid in full by May 15 they are delinquent. May 15 of the following year they are one year delinquent; May 15 of the next year they are two years delinquent; May 15 of the year after they are three years delinquent.

Am I eligible for Senior Citizens' or Disabled Citizens' Deferral?

Senior Citizens’ Deferral is for homeowner’s age 62 or older who meet all the requirements of the Department of Revenue (DOR). Disabled Citizens’ Deferral is for homeowners collecting federal Social Security disability benefits and meeting all the requirements of the DOR. Current year recipients of deferrals are noted on the bottom of the front of your statement. Your tax statement will be yellow. Deferral means that the taxes will need to be paid at a later date. For additional information on these programs you can contact the DOR at (503)945-8348 or, or call Washington County Special Programs at (503)846-8741.

See also:

What can I do if I do not agree with the property values?

You may appeal the real market, maximum assessed, specially assessed or assessed value of your property to the Board of Property Tax Appeals no later than December 31. If December 31 falls on a weekend or holiday, the filing deadline will be the next business day. You can get petition forms and information by calling 503-846-3854. These forms are also available online.

See also:

Am I entitled to a Veteran's exemption?

A 40%-or-more disabled Veteran, or surviving spouse of a Veteran, may be entitled to a Veteran’s exemption on property taxes. Current year recipients of exemptions are noted on the front of your statement in the VALUES section. For additional information on this program you can call Special Programs at (503)846-8741.

See also:

What does a green property tax statement mean?

A green tax statement means that according to our records, you are responsible for paying your tax bill.

See also:

What if I have delinquent taxes from prior years?

Delinquent taxes are included in the amount listed in the "Payment Options" on the front of the tax statement.

Call our collections office if you have any questions: (503)846-8801.

Interest on any past due amounts accrue on the 16th of each month at a rate of 16% annually or 1 1/3 per month.

All payments are applied to the most delinquent tax year.

Can we access recorded documents on the internet?

No, recorded documents are not available online at this time.

What information is included on my tax statement?

Payment instructions, discounts and payment schedules
Delinquent taxes and lien dates
Foreclosure information
Value appeals information
Americans with Disabilities Act information

See also:

How do I register to bid at the real property auction?

Registration for the real property auction is taken at the day of the auction at the door to the auction. No preregistration is required.

Where are the real property auctions held?

The real property auctions are held in one of the Washington County conference rooms in Hillsboro, Oregon. The time, date and location of the auction will be advertised at least 4 weeks prior to the auction date.

Am I entitled to an Oregon Active Duty Military Service Member's Exemption?

You may be entitled to an exemption on your property taxes if you are serving in the Oregon National Guard or Military Reserve Forces and have been ordered to serve more than 179 consecutive days under federal active duty (Title 10) or deployed under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC). For additional information on this program you can call Special Programs at 503-846-8741.

See also:

Why am I receiving more than one property tax statement?

You may have received more than one property tax statement because a tax lot is split by taxing boundaries.

Generally, you will also receive more than one property tax statement if you own both a manufactured structure and the land on which it resides.

Real Property Auction

How does the auction work?

Any person interested in bidding on real property offered for sale at the oral public auction must register to bid at the door. Bidding begins at the minimum bid established in notice of sale and continues incrementally until no more bids are offered. The successful bidder must make a twenty percent deposit of the purchase price at the time of sale and sign a Certificate of Sale Agreement. The balance of the purchase price is due at closing, which is typically within 30 to 60 days from the date of the auction.

Do you hold mortgage foreclosure auctions?

No, the mortgage foreclosure auctions are not conducted by Washington County. Mortgage foreclosure real property auctions are conducted by a Trustee appointed by the Mortgage Company. Typically, the only involvement Washington County has with the mortgage foreclosures is recording of the documents. The Washington County, Department of Assessment & Taxation, Recording Division, can be contacted at 503.846.8752 regarding a mortgage foreclosure property or you can visit this department and do research on the mortgage foreclosures. The Department of Assessment & Taxation, Recording Division, is located at 155 North First Avenue, Room 130, Hillsboro, OR.

What type of deed do you offer for property sold at the real property auction?

If the property being sold at the real property auction is a tax foreclosed parcel of land a Quit Claim Deed is given. If the property being sold at the real property auction is other than tax foreclosed property, a Bargain and Sale Deed is typically given.

What happens to the property if it doesn’t sell at auction?

If the property does not receive any offers at public auction, the county may choose to hold the property for the next real property auction or it may be sold through a private sale. A private sale is when an interested person submits a written offer for the property. Acceptance of the offer is subject to Board of Commissioner approval and must meet the requirements of Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 275.200.

Is the twenty percent deposit for the purchase of the real property refundable?

No, the twenty percent deposit for purchase of the real property at auction is not refundable.

How is the minimum bid set for the real property auction?

The minimum bid for the real property auction properties for tax foreclosed properties is typically established at 70 percent of the assessed Real Market Value (RMV) for the real property. 

How often are real property auctions held?

The real property auctions are held whenever there is property available for sale. At this time, there is no specific date when the auction occurs. 

Do I need to pre-register for the real property auction?

There is no pre-registration for the real property auction. Registration occurs at the door the day of the auction.

How can I be notified of the next real property auction?

To be notified of the next real property auction, click on the Real Property Auction page or the Tax Foreclosed Property page and on the bottom of the page you can submit the form to be added to the email notification list. The County will send out an email approximately 2 months prior to the auction.

What type of payment is required for purchase of real property at the real property auction?

Washington County accepts cash, cashier's check or certified funds for the twenty percent deposit and for the remaining amount due upon the completion of sale.

Do you have “over the counter sales” for real property not sold at auction?

Washington County refers to over the counter sales as private sales. Real property that did not sale at a previous real property auction may be sold through a private sale.


What is the law on how juveniles can have their records destroyed?

Juveniles who have records with the Juvenile Department may apply for expunction of their records by completing an Application for Expunction. The following conditions must be met:

(1) At least five years have passed since the date of the termination (dismissal) of your most recent juvenile court case; and since the date of your most recent termination, you have not been convicted of a felony or a Class A misdemeanor; and no proceedings seeking a criminal conviction or an adjudication in a juvenile court are pending against you; and you are not within the jurisdiction of the court for any delinquent act or certain types of dependency petitions; and the Juvenile Department is not aware of any pending investigation of you by any law enforcement agency;


(2) The person is at least 18 years old and has never been found within the jurisdiction of the Court;


(3) If neither of the above conditions have been met, the Juvenile Court has authority to have a record expunged, if it finds it to be in the best interest of the person and the public.

Oregon law provides for certain records to be destroyed. See Oregon Revised Statute Chapter 419A for the complete statute that governs expunction of a juvenile record. You may obtain an application for expunction from the Juvenile Department (222 N. First Ave. Hillsboro, OR 97124)

Is the military able to access my records?

The Juvenile Department releases information on juveniles to the United States military in accord with Oregon law. The following may be released on juveniles supervised under a Formal Accountability Agreement or adjudicated delinquent by the Court:

Offenses that are the basis of jurisdiction;
Dispositions such as formal accountability agreement, probation,
Commitment to the Oregon Youth Authority;
Dates of dispositions and of dismissal.

What is expunction?

Expunction is the formal Court process for the destruction of a juvenile's records.

Can I access the police report?

No. The Juvenile Department is not allowed to give out the police report under any circumstances. You may want to call the referring police agency for information regarding obtaining the report.

What does the law say about juvenile records?

The clerk of Court keeps records of all proceedings in Juvenile Court. Inspection of those records is limited by law to certain parties. Records relating to the youth's history and prognosis are confidential unless released with the youth's or parent’s permission or allowed by the judge.

Recycling at Home

Plastic Bags: Why can't plastic bags go in the recycling cart?

Plastic bags are not collected curbside. Do not use plastic bags to collect materials for your cart, instead use paper bags.

Bags mixed with recyclables tangle in sorting machinery, reducing the likelihood that materials will be sent to the right markets to be recycled. Example: Plastic bottles are inadvertently sent to a paper mills with piles of papers because the sorting machinery was clogged with plastic bags.

What should I do with recycling, such as cardboard, that won’t fit inside the cart?

Attempt to fit all recycling into the cart while keeping it in mind that materials must freely fall out when tipped for collection. If your extra recyclables will not fit into the cart, collect these in a paper bag or cardboard box and set them next to the cart for collection.
Please take large quantities of extra recycling to a recycling depot. Depots also accept many materials that your curbside collection company will not accept
Fold or cut cardboard to fit inside the cart.

What is household hazardous waste?

Household hazardous waste consists of many toxic chemicals and compounds. Examples of household hazardous waset may include paint and stains, pool and spa chemicals, pesticides and poisons, automotive products (oil, antifreeze), thinners and solvents, household cleaners and disinfectants, batteries, art and hobby chemicals, aerosol spray products, fire extinguishers, propane tanks, mercury thermometers and thermostats, and more! All of these materials can be taken for disposal/recycling to Metro's Hazardous Waste facilities (Oregon City and Portland) who charge a nominal fee for the service.

See also:

Who collects my garbage and recyclables?

Washington county has thirteen certificated haulers who collect garbage and recycling in the unincorporated areas. All of these haulers are assigned an exclusive area to service as part of their certificate. Don't know who's your hauler? Click on "Collectors" on the left column and select "Service Providers." You can also find out online at Oregon Metro's "Who's My Hauler" webpage ( or call Washington County Solid Waste & Recycling at (503) 846-8609.

How do I recycle books and manuals?

Books and manuals can go in your mixed recycling, but they may require a little preparation beforehand. It is not necessary to remove hardback covers. However the covers and bindings are often made with non-paper materials such as fabric and clay which can be problematic. If you can rip them off, this is helpful. It is OK to include softback books, cover and all. Manuals with plastic or wire spiral bindings are also OK in the mixed recycling carts even with the spiral bindings. However if you can easily pull the bindings off, please do. If the books are potentially usable, consider donating books to a charitable organization or your local library.

What if I forget to set my recycling cart out on the day of my collection?

Cart contents will be collected on the next regularly scheduled collection day. You can place extra recycling out in a cardboard box or paper bag on your next recycling collection date or take extra recycling to a local recycling center.

See also:

What time does my cart need to be out at the curb?

Collection times vary. Recycling cart must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. on your collection day.

See also:

Paint: What should I do with unwanted paint?

If you have a quantity of unused paint, instead of throwing it away, consider taking it to a PaintCare collection site. PaintCare collection sites accept new or remaining paint for free to recycle/reuse.

Electronics: What should I do with my old TV, laptop/desktop computer and monitor when I no longer want them?

If your equipment is in working order, consider giving it to a friend or relative, sell it, or donate it to a non-profit. If your equipment is broken, take advantage of DEQ's free Oregon E-Cycles program. DEQ has contracted with local recyclers around the state to accept these materials for safe, responsible disposal at no charge. Find the location closest to you. 

See also:

Garbage: How much garbage does the average person create daily?

In 2010, metropolitan area residents generate 7.14 pounds per capita daily. Much of this material can be recycled.

Curbside recycling collection at single-family households: What materials are commonly recycled at home at the curb?

Newspaper, cardboard, paperboard, shredded paper, metal pieces (less than 30 lbs), aluminum and steel cans, and plastic bottles, buckets and tubs. You can recycle glass bottle and jars by keeping them separate and setting them out in your red bin ON THE SIDE of the mixed recycling cart. Motor oil can also be set ON THE SIDe and needs to be contained in a gallon, see-through, container with a screw-top cap. 

Paint Cans: Can I recycle empty paint cans in the mixed recycling cart?

Residents with collection service may set out metal paint cans with less than 1" of dried paint remaining. The lid must be removed for the hauler to take it. If there is more than 1" of paint remaining, take these cans to Metro's Hazardous Waste facilities for free recycling. Your paint will likely be reformulated to make MetroPaint! Find more details at

Apartment recycling: What materials can be recycled at my apartment/multifamily community?

Washington County’s recycling program includes the collection of paper, cardboard, metal, rigid plastic tubs, buckets, and bottles. These materials can all be mixed together in the same container.
Glass needs to be placed in a container separate from the other recyclables.

See also:

Glass: Why can't glass be placed in with the paper, metal and plastic bottles and tubs?

When glass breaks, glass shards damage expensive equipment at paper mills and can also pose a danger to employees who hand-sort recyclables. Keep glass separate!

Plastic buckets and nursery pots: Can plastic nursery pots be recycled at the curb?

Yes! Any plastic nursery pot that is less than 5 gallons can be collected at the curb providing that it is rinsed clean of debris and is rigid (does not crinkle). Just toss 'em in!


What are urban and rural reserves?

Urban reserves will be areas outside of the current Metro urban growth boundary (UGB) that will be designated to accommodate future expansions of the UGB over the next 40 to 50 years. These areas, before coming into the UGB, will need to provide for public facilities and services in a cost-effective manner.

Rural reserves will be areas outside of the current Metro UGB that will be excluded from UGB expansions and provide long-term protection for agriculture, forestry or important natural landscape features that limit urban development or help define appropriate natural boundaries of urbanization.

Why are urban and rural reserves necessary?

The Metro Council is required to consider expansion of the UGB every five years to meet the anticipated land need for housing and jobs over the next 20 years. Without urban and rural reserves, the Metro Council must primarily consider the types and quality of soil in surrounding areas when determining where and how to expand the UGB, without considering whether that new land can provide for the public services and amenities that are essential to creating vibrant communities. Establishing urban reserves will help identify, before the UGB gets moved, which areas can best sustain vibrant communities. Without rural reserves, there are no long-term protections available for valuable agriculture, forest land and natural areas to prevent urban development of these areas.

How much land is needed for urban and rural reserves?

That has not yet been determined. A forecast of population and employment over the next 50 years, illustrating a range of possible outcomes, has been prepared by Metro that will help inform this work. This work will also attempt to assess how much population and employment growth can be accommodated within the existing UGB, which will also determine how much land may be needed for urban reserves. With regard to rural reserves, it is not so much a question of how much land is needed as it is in identifying which agricultural areas, forest lands and natural areas are the most valuable and should be excluded from urban development.

What factors are considered when creating urban reserves?

When identifying and selecting lands for designation as urban reserves, these and other factors will be considered:

•Can the land be developed at urban densities in a way that makes efficient use of existing and future public and private infrastructure investments?
•Does the land include sufficient development capacity to support a healthy economy?
•Can the land be served efficiently and cost-effectively with public schools and other urban-level public facilities and services by appropriate and financially capable service providers?
•Can the land be designed to be walkable and served with a well-connected system of streets, bikeways, recreation trails and public transit by appropriate service providers?
•Can the area be designed to preserve and enhance natural ecological systems?
•Does the area include sufficient land suitable for a range of needed housing types?
•Can the area be developed in a way that preserves important natural landscape features included in urban reserves?
•Can the area be designed to avoid or minimize adverse effects on farm and forest practices, and avoid or minimize adverse effects on important natural landscape features, on nearby land including land designated as rural reserves?

Does creation of an urban reserve guarantee that the urban growth boundary will expand there?

No. Urban reserves will be the areas that are selected first for urban growth boundary expansions if and when they happen over the next 40 to 50 years, but it will be up to the Metro Council – now and in the future – to determine when, where or how the urban growth boundary gets expanded. Land that will be included in urban reserves will not be developed with urban zoning until it is brought into the urban growth boundary.

Why should urban and rural reserve designations last only 40 to 50 years?  Shouldn’t some rural reserves be permanent?

While providing long-term certainty for landowners, local governments, businesses and citizens is important in land use planning, land uses can change significantly over several decades and in ways that we cannot predict now. Establishing a 40- to 50-year rural reserve provides sufficient long-term protection for today’s landowners while giving flexibility to future generations to continue the reserve designations or modify them to meet changing needs.

Why are we looking at growth only in the Metro region and not encouraging growth to locate in other areas of the state?

The Urban and Rural Reserves process addresses growth within Metro’s jurisdiction. Newcomers to the area can’t be redirected to other regions. The three-county area is expected to increase substantially in the next 20+ years. Other counties also are expecting tremendous growth pressures. Other planning processes such as the Big Look are considering growth-related issues state wide. In addition many cities and counties are revising their comprehensive plans to accommodate change. The urban and rural reserves process is only one of many planning efforts underway to address growth.

Once an area is designated as an urban reserve is it immediately brought into the Urban Growth Boundary?

No. Designation as an urban reserve means that land will be the first area considered for UGB inclusion when and if growth in the immediate area requires more land. Metro will continue to evaluate future 20-year land supplies to accommodate near-term growth every five years. If your land is designated urban reserve, its inclusion might be considered in the next scheduled UGB growth or it might be 20, 30 or 40 years out, or it might not ever be brought in. So much depends on the growth in your area.

See also:

Is South Hillsboro (or any other specific area) likely to be an urban reserve?  Is Sauvie Island (or any other specific area) likely to be a rural reserve?

It is premature to suggest which areas will be included as which types of reserves. We’re just getting started on determining the scope of the broader regional area to study for urban and rural reserves. Reserve study areas have not been defined yet, and no agreements have been made between Metro and the counties to designate any specific area as a particular type of reserve. The findings of the Shape of the Region study will serve as a foundation for a regional conversation about which areas are best suited for which types of reserves.

Who makes the decisions to designate urban and rural reserves?

Urban and rural reserves will be designated through agreements between the Metro Council and the county commissions of Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties. A Reserves Steering Committee, consisting of representatives of local cities, neighboring communities, business groups, developers, farmers, land use advocates, environmental organizations and others, is advising the three counties and Metro on the development of the reserve areas along with public input received through various events and forums.

Over the past several years, there have been a variety of studies done by different local, regional, and state agencies. Are these studies being incorporated into the reserves designation process?

Much of the work done in the last several years is being incorporated. For instance, the Shape of the Region study done in 2006 – 2007 helped increase awareness of the agricultural community’s value to the region – it is one of many reasons rural reserves are being designated – to protect valuable agricultural lands. Many of the cities within the Metro region are updating their comprehensive plans – those updates help provide information into how much growth each city can or would like to accommodate. A number of economic analysis are occurring for the same reason. Other studies important to the reserves process include: natural resource protections (streams, rivers, corridors, etc.); regional and local transportation plans; costs and availability of infrastructure to deliver services; and population and employment growth forecasts.

All of these studies contribute valuable input to determine what areas need protection from urban growth (rural reserves) and what areas could logically and efficiently accommodate more growth. An additional important study being conducted will identify growth capacity within the current Urban Growth Boundary.

How will this process deal with the transportation needs this much population growth will demand?

The Urban and Rural Reserves process won’t directly address the need. During analysis of the study area for potential reserves, one of the many factors to be considered is proximity to infrastructure. The Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) analysis is also underway with the same timeframe. The intent is to match transportation needs through the RTP with reserves designation. Also occurring at the same time is funding analysis – how will needed changes be paid for – and a process to set some benchmarks to monitor progress and adjust programs as necessary. These four processes are going on under the “Making the Greatest Places” planning efforts led by Metro.

There is much interest in providing local farm goods to local markets. How will small farms be considered? Will they be forced to change if they are designated one type of reserve or another?

No. Land uses remain the same for all property owners regardless of being designated one reserve or the other. A primary intent is to provide long-term certainty so that farms within rural reserves will remain agriculture-oriented for the next 40 – 50 years. Current farm use on lands designated urban reserves can continue farming. Once an urban reserve is considered for inclusion into the Urban Growth Boundary, the value of the land may provide property owners with additional choices regarding future use.

There were several open houses held last summer and earlier this spring. Were those our only chance to provide input into this process?

No. The open houses addressed the first two key questions in the process. 1) Was the proposed study area (green area on the maps) the appropriate area to begin reserves analysis? 2) Are the proposed Candidate Urban and Rural Reserve areas the appropriate areas for further analysis? Public input informed the decision-making process to properly identify the study area and candidate reserves areas. Now that the study area and candidate reserves areas have been agreed to, technical staff from Metro and the counties will begin applying state-mandated criteria. Once the technical staff has moved forward with initial analysis, the public will be asked for their review and comment again inlcuding a Public Hearing August 20, 2009. Beyond those opportunities, each additional phase of the project will incorporate multiple ways for the community to weigh-in. All four of the participating jurisdictions have dedicated websites to provide current information.

Each jurisdiction has multiple advisory committees working on the project, all of which are open to the community and all have opportunity for public comment.

See also:

What happens if in the end, Metro and the three counties don’t agree on designations?

If consensus is not reached, Metro will revert to the existing UGB growth approach.

How can I get involved with this effort?

Metro and the three counties are coordinating public outreach efforts to engage citizens throughout the region in the study of urban and rural reserve areas and to advise the Reserves Steering Committee—and the Metro Council and three county commissions—on which areas are best suited to accommodate future growth and which areas should be protected for farmland, natural area preservation, forestry or other rural needs.

See also:

Why are we only looking at growth in the Metro region, why limit considerations to just the three counties? Why aren’t Columbia, Marion, Yamhill and Clark County, Washington as well as surrounding cities involved in these discussions?

Metro has jurisdiction for growth and transportation management within Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties only. Recognizing that surrounding counties and communities, including Clark County in Washington, will also be impacted by future growth, those jurisdictions are kept informed through a variety of inter-governmental and inter-jurisdictional communications.

Where can I find more information about this effort?

More information about urban and rural reserves can be found online at

See also:

If my land is included in a rural reserve, does that change what I can do with my land?

No. Lands that are brought into rural reserves will not have additional restrictions or limitations placed on them beyond those that already exist. The same rural zoning and development restrictions will apply. A rural reserve designation will exclude land from being brought into the UGB over the next 40 to 50 years.

There are a variety of opinions on the accuracy of the population projections that are the basis of the designation process. Are there good reasons to believe these projections are accurate?

The projections are as accurate as any 40 – 50 year projection can be. Considering how different the region looks today than 1960, it is hard to believe any projection will be spot on. However, in preparing the projections, five distinctly different approaches were used that resulted in a range. That range, of 3.5 to 4.1 million people in 2060 (up from approximately 2.5 million now) is a guideline for region wide growth.


What can I do about dust on my gravel road?

A dust abatement permit is issued to residents of Washington County who want to have a private company apply liquid dust control on the road adjacent to their property. There is no charge for the permit; however, you must pay a private company to apply the dust abatement treatment. Washington County requires a permit so that the condition of the road and the maintenance schedule can be checked prior to dust abatement treatment.

DO NOT PUT USED MOTOR OIL ON THE ROAD. State and federal authorities regulate the types of products that can be used on the road to prevent environmental damage. Violation can result in substantial fines.

For more information about abatement call (503) 846-7623 or e-mail

See also:

What is "Adopt-a-Road"?

Adopt-a-Road is a volunteer program for citizens who want to help keep Washington County clean by picking up litter along county roads. There are currently over 100 businesses, organizations and families who participate in this popular program. Interested? We ask you to make a two-year commitment to keep a one-mile stretch of road clean by scheduling a clean-up event at least twice a year. In return we install two signs with your group’s name on "your" adopted road. We provide all supplies, including safety equipment and trash bags. We also pick up and dispose of the bagged trash when you’re done. Give us a call at 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) and we’ll send you some additional information.

See also:

Where do I pick up Adopt-a-Road equipment?

1400 SE Walnut Street, Hillsboro (behind Winco). The warehouse entrance is on the east side of the facility...right there! Please call 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) if you have questions.

How can I get my road repaired?

Call (503) 846-ROAD (846-7623). We take requests for road surface, drainage, bridge and vegetation maintenance. We also repair traffic signs, signals, pavement markings and street lights. Give us a call and if we can fix it, we will. If not, we’ll tell you why. You can also reach us by email at or letter at 1400 SW Walnut Street, MS 51, Hillsboro, OR 97123.

See also:


Is there a way for us to make our voices heard with regard to opening schools? The science is absolutely clear that schools should be open, but so long as “case numbers” is the only metric being used by Kate Brown there will basically never be a movement

We agree, it is extremely important to our children, families and the economy to get kids back in school. We need to ensure this is done safely for the students, their families and school staff. Reducing community spread is an important strategy to ensure kids can return to school safely.

Find out more information about schools at the county's COVID-19 Back to School page.

Sex Offenders

What if I am not physically capable of coming in to register?

If a physical condition prevents you from coming in to report as a registered sex offender (not a scheduling or transportation conflict), call our patrol division (503-846-5900) and they may be able to arrange for someone to come to you (within Washington County only). This phone call does not count for reporting purposes. There may be a delay before someone can meet with you, so pursue other options if you are running out of time.

What if I am homeless or “couch-surfing”?

Oregon law still requires that you report any change of residence within 10 days of that change. Even if you only intend to reside at a specific location for a day or two, if it’s been 10 days since you left your last reported residence, you are required to report your change of residence.

If you’re claiming to be homeless, you can still report as a registered sex offender by providing us with a detailed description of where you are staying. If you’re living out of a vehicle, we are going to want detailed information regarding your vehicle. Based on the information you provide, law enforcement should be able to locate your “residence”.

Registering as homeless does not grant you legal rights to reside on private or public property. Check with the property owner for permission.

I later discovered that my sex offender registration is not accurate.  What should I do?

If you identify an error on your sex offender registration form, immediately contact the agency that you reported to. Usually it will require you to return to that agency and complete a new registration.

When you sign your sex offender registration form you are assuming responsibility for the information that you provided on that form. It is important that you review everything on the form prior to signing it. If you identify that something is wrong prior to signing, have the law enforcement employee correct it.

You can be arrested for failing to provide complete and accurate information on a sex offender registration form.

Do I still need to report as a registered sex offender while petitioning the courts for relief?

Yes. Until a judge signs the order that you are no longer required to report as a registered sex offender in the State of Oregon, you are still required to report.

Once you are granted an order relieving you of reporting as a registered sex offender in the State of Oregon, you need to notify the Oregon State Police.

An order of relief only applies to the state that it was issued. If you are granted relief in Oregon you may still be required to report as a registered sex offender in another state. Each state has their own sex offender registration laws.

Why are officers checking on me at my residence?

Employees of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office will frequently conduct compliance checks of known registered sex offenders residing within Washington County. Their goal is to verify that registered sex offenders are currently residing where they have reported to be residing.

Can I report over the phone or online?

No. Oregon only allows registered sex offenders to report in person. Any conversations / emails that you have with someone from law enforcement will not count for reporting purposes. For the reporting process to be completed, the registered sex offender is required to sign the sex offender registration form.

What if I am moving out of Oregon?

Oregon law considers moving out of the state as a change of residence and still requires you to report your change of residence with the State of Oregon. If you cross state lines and fail to report your change of residence, federal charges may be pursued.

Do I still need to report my change of residence if my parole / probation officer (PO) knows where I am residing?

Yes. Oregon law still requires you to report your change of residence. If you’re unsure, call your local police department or ask your PO. The Washington County Parole / Probation office will not process registration updates.

I am staying in a motel.  Do I need to include my room number?

Yes. Your room number is part of your address. If you change rooms, you will need to report your change of residence. This also includes apartment numbers.


How do I adopt a pet?

Visit the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter and look through the dog adoption or cat adoption center. Before meeting an animal, you will fill out a pet adoption application. Interact with different animals to find the right one for you.

An animal care technician will interview you. Not every adoption application is approved because not every person who wants an animal has landlord approval or has the time and ability to care for an animal.

If you are adopting a dog, bring your existing dog in for a meet and greet.

There is a fee to adopt a pet. 

See also:

I’ve lost my cat or dog, what can I do?

-Contact the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter by visiting the shelter.

-Look at pictures of the animals the shelter has online by clicking on the Lost and Found link below. If you don't see your animal, fill out a Lost Report

-Drive around your neighborhood and talk with neighbors whose pets might have attracted your pet to their yard

-Check with local veterinarians and emergency veterinarians in your area

-Check with your mail carrier

-Post “Lost Pet” flyers in the area

See also:

How can I help the pets at the animal shelter?

The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter depends on the generous hearts of our volunteers and donors. We wouldn’t be able to care for and find homes for the animals without the direct help of hundreds of citizens every year. Your help makes a difference. Last year, we received nearly $120,000 in donations. Even more importantly, 100 volunteers gave us 3800 hours of time. In today’s difficult economic times, your support is more important to us than ever before. When you share your time and money, you are saving the lives of the animals that need you.

See also:

What does Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter do?

Washington County Animal Services (WCAS) provides three areas of service to residents of Washington County.

Field Services
--Stray dog patrol, capture and housing
--Neglect and cruelty investigation
--Bite investigation
--Residential assistance with barking dog problems and other animal  nuisance problems.

Shelter Services
--Care of lost, stray, or homeless dogs and cats
--Dog and cat lost and found and adoption services
--Microchip identification services
--In-house spay/neuter clinic
--Cat trap rentals.

Education and Outreach Services
--Public and media information
--Volunteer services
--Donations and development
--Web site management
--Education on spay/neuter, animal care and safety around animals.

See also:

Does Animal Services provide euthanasia services for the public?

No. Effective December 1, 2009, the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter will no longer perform routine owner-requested euthanasia. The reason that we have made this decision is that there are more appropriate places for people to take their animals for end-of-life
services than our County animal shelter.

If you need to euthanize your pet, talk to your veterinarian. He or she is usually the best place to have this end-of-life service performed.

There are two non-profit organizations in Portland that provide lower-cost euthanasia services if you cannot afford the services of a veterinarian: DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital (503-228-7281) and The Oregon Humane Society (503-285-7722) require that you call ahead for their services.

See also:

How do you become an Animal Shelter Technician?

While previous experience handling animals helps, it may not be an absolute requirement. The job of a Shelter Technician not only includes the caring or handling of animals, but may also include the cleaning of their cages or kennels, the administration of vaccines, the performance of animal behavioral assessments, and the dealing with both happy and angry customers. There are various ways one can prepare him or herself to enter this field. One can be a volunteer at an animal shelter or humane society, performing some of the duties a shelter technician does, like animal handling, kennel cleaning, and/or interacting with the public. One can also have worked in the veterinary field, as an assistant or certified veterinary technician. One can also have worked in a boarding kennel tending to animals and working with customers.

Our pet just died. How can we dispose of the remains?

Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter offers general cremation services for a fee. Our staff can refer you to other private companies that handle private cremation services.

Who is in charge of Animal Services?

Animal Services is a local government agency and a division of Washington County Health & Human Services. The manager of Animal Services is Deborah Wood. She can be reached at 503-846-7041.

See also:

What are the hours of Animal Services?

Business and Pet Lost & Found hours (effective 10/17/09):
M, Tu, Th, F, Sa 9am to 6pm
W 12pm to 6pm

Pet adoption and viewing:
M, Tu, Th, F, Sa 11am to 5:30pm
W 12pm to 5:30pm

See also:

I can no longer keep my pet. Can I bring it to the animal shelter?

Our first priority is stray animals. Sometimes Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is unable to admit pets from owners due to the large number of strays that are currently at the shelter. Please call for more information and for a list of other options available to you.

See also:

Where is Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter located?

Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is located at 1901 SE 24th Avenue in Hillsboro, Oregon 97123. The shelter is along Highway 8 (Tualatin Valley Highway) across from the Sunset Esplanade shopping center. The shelter shares a parking lot with Lowe’s Home Improvement store.

See also:

Special Programs

What is Drug Court?

Drug Court is an effective alternative for some of the county's most seriously drug-involved offenders. The program is a collaborative effort between the District Attorney's Office, the Court, Community Corrections, the Sheriff's Office and local defense attorneys and treatment providers. The goal of the program is to remove selected offenders with drug problems and criminal charges from the continual "recycling" process of the criminal justice system. Eligible defendants may plead guilty to the criminal charge and be placed on probation and participate in an extensive drug treatment program. See also:

See also:

Does the Sheriff's Office have a drug drop box?

While we no longer accept drop-offs at our facilities, there are several locations throughout Washington County to drop off unused or unwanted prescription drugs. We are also proud to participate in the Drug Enforcement Agency Drug Takeback Program twice per year. Look for our upcoming Drug Turn In events on Facebook for more information.

14600 SW Murray Scholls Dr, Beaverton
4816 NW Bethany Blvd, Portland
13939 SW Pacific Hwy, Tigard

Providence Tanasbourne Pharmacy:
18610 NW Cornell #102, Hillsboro

Support for Those Exposed or Those Who Test Positive

Are the homeless staying safe in the warming centers?

Public Health and Housing Services have worked together to ensure that, as we opened our homeless shelters, we keep the guests protected from COVID-19 exposure. We are placing many of the houseless in hotels and we have a safe RV camping village with supportive services.

Please refer those who need assistance to 2-1-1.

So can we discuss a little about the resource support that people can receive if they are positive for COVID-19 or exposure to a COVID-19 and need help with rent, electricity, gas, water, food, etc.?

When someone tests positive or has been exposed, we ask them about what supports they need to assure access to food, rental or housing costs utilities etc. We work with our local community-based organizations and public health staff to support families essential needs.


02. How do I find out why a survey crew is working in my neighborhood or on my land?

If possible, contact the crew and ask them what they are doing and who they are working for. You may have to get their company phone number and call their supervisor for more information. You can also try to get a company name off of the vehicle they are driving. New survey monuments are required to be marked with caps that include the surveyor’s registration number or corporate name on them. If you find such a monument, you can call the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors at (503) 362-2666, and they can provide you with information on how to contact the surveyor or the company. Your neighbors could be another source of information. The County Surveyor’s Office crews use clearly marked trucks and use yellow and orange ribbon marked "WASHINGTON COUNTY SURVEYOR". You can get information regarding a County survey crew by calling (503) 846-7933 or (503) 846-7891.

06. What is a Record of Survey?

A record of survey (ROS) is a document that is filed in the survey records at the County Surveyor’s Office. Only a Professional Land Surveyor may prepare and file a ROS. Generally that survey represents the Professional Land Surveyor’s opinion of the location of one or more property boundaries.

Since 1947, Oregon law has required that surveys be filed with the County Surveyor when a registered professional land surveyor establishes or reestablishes a boundary monument. A surveyor may choose to file a survey for informational purposes even if it is not required.

Many surveys were filed prior to the legal requirement to do so. The Washington County Surveyor’s office dates back to 1856 and the documents archived there date back to that date as well.

07. What is the significance of the county’s acceptance of a Record of Survey for placement in the survey records?

Today the County Surveyor is required by law to file any survey performed by a Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) if it meets the minimum requirements set out in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 209.250. In addition to the checklist of items in the law the County Surveyor’s Office will point out any obvious errors or omissions but the law requires that the survey be filed and indexed into the records whether the County Surveyor agrees with the resolution of the boundaries, or not.

The survey standards and requirements have changed over the years and today’s legal requirements reference a checklist of required items such as the surveyor’s seal and signature, the date of the survey, scale of the drawing, and other informational items.

The county’s acceptance of a survey for filing does not mean the county agrees with the boundaries resolved on the survey. The significance of placing it in the records is limited to the fact that the survey document meets the minimum legal requirements for a survey map.

Once a survey is filed into the County Surveyor’s records, it falls under the state archiving schedule for permanent retention. There is no provision for removing a survey from the records.

08. Is a record of survey proof of the location of the boundary lines?

A record of survey is evidence of the location of the boundaries of a specific piece of property, in the opinion of the surveyor preparing the survey.

A Professional Land Surveyor has specialized training, experience, and skills that that have been rigorously examined in order to qualify them to be licensed by the State of Oregon.

The surveyor uses information from deeds, prior surveys, and physical evidence found on the ground in conjunction with laws, rules, and other standards of practice in order to make their conclusions.

An accurate boundary survey, in which boundary lines are identified by a licensed surveyor, is usually an effective means by which property owners can resolve common boundaries.

09. Why do the surveys in my neighborhood show different widths for the public roadway in front of my property?

Private surveyors work on the limited budget provided by a client that needs a property boundary survey. There are times when the resources available for research and field work are limited so the surveyor may show the road as traveled and use the width as shown on other surveys or on the county assessor’s tax map.

However, tax maps and records of survey do not fix the legal location or width of a public road. A survey that notes that the road shown is “as traveled” and makes no attempt to justify the width shown should not be relied upon with regard to the legal location and width of the road. A survey that shows the controlling elements used in locating a road and citing the records relied upon in stating the road location and width may be strong evidence, but a survey still reflects the opinion of the surveyor.

If you hire a surveyor to determine the location and width of the roadway adjacent to your property, be sure that he or she understands the desired scope of work. It is important to hire a surveyor that is knowledgeable in route surveying and the laws applicable to our public rights of way. The County Surveyor’s office will work with your surveyor to provide the best available information regarding county road locations. By law, we are not able to provide advice or surveying services to private surveyors or the public.

The county does conduct surveys that focus explicitly on the correct location and width of the road based on the best available evidence in the field and pertinent documents. These surveys are generally performed only when: 1) a future road improvement is being considered; 2) when it is not possible to accurately establish the legal location and width of an existing road based on available survey monuments and documentation; or 3) when the “as traveled” location of an existing road differs from the location described in the available records.

10. What if I disagree with the Surveyor?

If the survey in question is a modern survey and the surveyor is still available, talking directly to him or her may be the most expeditious way to handle the situation.

There may be instances where ambiguous deed language, a lack of records, or conflicting records, in combination with the actions of current or previous owners may result in more than one reasonable interpretation of a boundary.

If you meet with the surveyor and after you present your information, and he or she explains their method of arriving at the boundary, and there is still a difference of opinion, you may have to hire your own surveyor for a second opinion. Seeking a second professional opinion is common in many instances where you are dealing with other professionals such as doctors.

If there are proposed solutions that may involve filing new deeds in which there may be the appearance of a property line being adjusted, you should check with your local planning authority to determine if you need a permit for a property line adjustment (PLA).

If the boundary dispute can not be resolved by the land owners and their Land Surveyors, you may have to consider legal action in court. The court can authoritatively fix the location of a disputed boundary line. In some instances that decision may be further appealed but in the end it is resolved in the court system.

11. What is an easement?

An easement is an interest in the land of another.

An example could be in a case where you live in a rural area and it would be more convenient or shorter for your neighbor to cross your land than to drive a more circuitous route to access his property. You could grant the neighbor an ingress-egress easement over a driveway to be constructed on your property. You would own the land under the driveway but the neighbor would have the right to use it for the specific purpose granted.

12. What is the definition of a “public road right-of-way”?

Generally, in Washington County, a public roadway is in the form of an easement for road purposes. The easement is over someone’s land and is subject to the use of the public. The county generally has jurisdiction over the public’s use of the right of way, including requiring permits for activities in the roadway. That means the county can regulate the use of the roadway subject to the public easement but the county does not own the property under it.

The county does not maintain public dedicated roadways, if they are located outside of the county’s Urban Road Maintenance District, except in certain emergencies. (See ORS 368.031)

13. What is a “County Road”? How is a county road different from a public road?

In some situations it is in the public interest for the county to accept a roadway into the county road system. This is done by an action at the Board of County Commissioners. A County Road Number is assigned and records of the proceedings are filed in the County Surveyor’s Office.

The primary advantage of establishing a public road as a county road has to do with the funding for maintenance. Road Funds (gas tax revenues) may be spent to maintain a county road without declaring an emergency or going through a Board of Commissioners action to allocate the funds. 

14. Who owns the property lying in the right of way?

When a road is dedicated as a public road or established as a county road the underlying ownership remains with whoever the rightful owner is.

The county, as a corporate body, may own property. It is rare that this is the case in a roadway. If the county owns property that is intended to be used for roadway purposes, the county usually dedicates the road to the public in order to create the easement for a public road.

15. What is a road vacation?

A vacation of the roadway is an action in which the public’s right to use the property for road purposes is extinguished. The property is no longer burdened by the public’s right to use it for road purposes.

The County Assessor’s office will incorporate the area back into the appropriate account, or accounts, for tax purposes. This is often the abutting tax lot(s) because the owner(s) of the abutting property always held the underlying ownership of the road and now, after the road vacation, the property is once again taxable.

16. What is “County Road Legalization”?

The county uses the legalization process as defined in Oregon Revised Statutes 368.201 through 368.221 when there is doubt as to the location and/or width of a county road. This may occur due to omission or defect in the original action establishing the county road or when the location of the road cannot be accurately determined due to loss of the original survey, defective surveys, or numerous alterations of the pertinent records.

The legalization process may also be used when the traveled roadway does not conform to the surveyed location and it has been in its present location for more than 10 years. Typically, the roads subject to these actions have been in their present location for many decades.

The legalization process finalizes and fixes the location of the public right of way and can act to automatically supersede other records that may show the right of way in another location.

Legalization is in the public interest because it clarifies conflicting records and creates a known, easily locatable, right of way boundary along the frontage of the abutting properties.

17. Generally how is the width of a county road determined?  Particularly, how is the width determined for a proposed legalization action?

Current law requires that all orders or resolutions accepting a road as a county road must state the right of way width. For new roads, the width is typically set based on current county road standards.

When legalizing a county road, the width stated in the original documents establishing the road is used. In some cases the original documents do not state a width. In those cases the road may be legalized according to the state laws governing the width of county roads at the time the road was originally established or to a width conforming to the current county road standards for a road of that functional classification (functional classifications are established in the county’s Transportation System Plan —typical roadway classifications are Arterial, Collector, and Local roads.

See also:

18. How will I know if the county is contemplating legalizing the roadway adjacent to my house?

The need to legalize a roadway usually becomes apparent when the county is attempting to locate the right of way on a portion of or all of a county-maintained road. When the need for a legalization action has been indentified, the Board of County Commissioners sets a time and date for a public hearing and directs that all affected property owners be notified of the hearing.

If you own or rent property along a road that may be the subject of these proceedings, you will receive personal notice in the mail, and there will be postings in conspicuous locations in the area of the roadway. The mailed notice will include contact information for the County Surveyor’s Office in case of questions.

19. What is an engineering location survey?

When it becomes apparent that a county roadway needs significant repair or other improvements and funding has been identified to support that effort, the first step is to create a topographic map of the existing conditions at that site. As part of that survey work, the road right of way, or limits of the public easement, must be located.

This engineering location survey becomes the basis for designing improvements that may be required due to failure of the existing road surface, safety concerns, or lack of capacity of the existing facility.

20. How will I know if the county is conducting a location survey in anticipation of significant road improvements?

When a county capital project has been funded and a location survey has been requested, the Capital Project Coordinator or Manager will provide personal notification by mail to those property owners and occupants of properties that may be affected by the project.

If the county is hiring a private surveying firm to do the work there may be additional notification from the consultant survey firm.

The engineering staff may not be able to answer all your questions about a project at this stage because they need to review the topographic data from the survey in order to make finial design decisions.

21. What are public land corners?

Public land corners are defined in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 209.005 as a section corner, one-quarter section corner, Donation Land Claim corner, meander corner, witness corner or any other corner established by the General Land Office or its successor.

These public land corner monuments provide the basis and control for the legal descriptions of all the real property in Oregon and other states that are designated as public land survey system states. The legal description for your property makes reference to the Township Range and Section where the property is located. The tax lot number mapped on the tax maps by the County Assessors Office is based on this system.

The public land survey system was implemented prior to land being conveyed from the federal government to private ownership. Generally all the government land corners were monumented at one time by the federal government and now the County Surveyor is tasked with locating and protecting those monuments.

Many of the original monuments were wooden posts, stones, or other physical objects that were available at the time. Today we are systematically marking these locations with brass or aluminum caps set in concrete or other permanent markers.

26. Who should I contact if I find a public land corner monument that may be subject to destruction or disturbance?

Contact the Survey Supervisor in charge of the Public Land Corner work group at (503) 846-7933 or contact the County Surveyor directly at (503) 846-3405. If you are engaged in construction work and need to have a monument referenced or replaced, call before you disturb it. Contact the County Surveyor’s Office as soon as the need becomes apparent. Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 209.140(1) provides that the County Surveyor may charge a fee in an amount that will reimburse the county for the work performed. Our policy is to waive that fee, and do the work with public land corner preservation funds when we get timely notification and can work cooperatively with the person or agency causing the disturbance in order to mitigate the costs.

22. Who is responsible for the restoration and maintenance of the monuments at the public land corner lo-cations?

Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 209.070 requires that the County Surveyor establish, reestablish, and maintain all public land survey corners.

24. What is the legal status of corners that are established or reestablished by the County Surveyor?

Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 209.070(5) states that “When so established or reestablished such corner monuments shall be recognized as the legal and permanent corners.”

25. How is the restoration and maintenance of these survey monuments funded?

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 203.148 authorizes counties to establish a “Public Land Corner Preservation Fund.” This fund is supported by a fee on recording documents associated with conveying real property. The fee is collected by the County Clerk and placed in a fund to be used to pay expenses incurred and authorized by the County Surveyor in the establishment and maintenance of public land corners.

04. Will the County survey my property for me?

The County does not perform survey work for private parties. If you want your property surveyed, you must hire a private land surveyor.

03. How can I find out if a survey exists for my property?

The Washington County Surveyor's Office has a research website called iSpirits, where you can search for surveys, plats and other records. You can also come into our office and our staff will assist you in your research (155 N. First Avenue, Ste 350, Hillsboro, OR 97124).

See also:

05. How do I locate a licensed Professional Land Surveyor?

The yellow pages of the phone book have a listing under "Surveyors-land." The County Surveyor’s Office cannot make recommendations.

You may find the brochure “A Guide to Selecting an Oregon Land Surveyor,” published by the Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon helpful.

See also:

23. How many public land corners are in Washington County?

There are approximately 3,400 public land corners. The County Surveyor’s Office has an active work program to restore and maintain the monuments at these corner locations.

Tax Foreclosure

Does the previous owner have any rights to the property?

No, the previous owner of a tax foreclosed parcel of land does not have any rights to the property. All rights were relinquished once the deed to the property transferred to Washington County.

Can you purchase the tax lien?

No, the State of Oregon is a Tax Deed state rather than a tax lien state. Only the property owner and any lienholder(s) have the right to redeem the property from tax foreclosure.


As we have seen a second and higher spike in COVID-19 infections in the community, testing needs have outpaced our testing capacity in the health care system. We are hoping that newer rapid testing will become more available and reliable so we can use the

Find out more about testing at the county’s COVID-19 Testing page.

I plan to sell my property and the realtor said I need to have my well water tested. What do I need to do to complete the transaction?

The Department of Human Services, Drinking Water Program has a Frequently Asked Questions website that addresses the requirement that your domestic well be tested prior to a real estate transaction.

I want to have the water in my well tested for quality. Who do I call?

The following are labs within the local area that will test your water for quality. For additional water quality information, contact the Washington County Health Department at 503.846.8722.

Alexin Analytical: 503.639.9311
TestAmerica: 503.906.9200
Pyxis Laboratories: 503.254.1794

Where can someone get testing for COVID antibodies?

Visit our COVID-19 testing page for information about where to obtain testing. We also recommend discussing antibody testing with your health care provider as you are able.

Tow Hearings

My citation was dismissed.  Why won't the Sheriff's Office pay for my tow?

The law says that an officer who has reasonable grounds to believe that you were driving without insurance can legally tow your car. Another law, ORS 806.011, says that if you do not give the officer a valid and unexpired insurance card when you get stopped the officer automatically has reasonable grounds to believe you do not have insurance. A large number of people regularly drive without car insurance, and they raise everyone’s car insurance rates. The law requiring everyone to carry valid proof of insurance was passed to get those people off the road and protect the public from uninsured drivers. Police officers that stop someone who does not have proof of valid insurance are simply doing their job to protect the public by having the car towed. If the officer had reasonable grounds to believe you were driving uninsured you are responsible for the costs of the towing and storage of your car, even if the judge later finds you innocent on the citation.

See also:

My license was not suspended, why won't the Sheriff's Office pay for towing my car?

The law says that an officer who has reasonable grounds to believe you were driving while suspended can legally tow your car. The officer looks at the official records of the Department of Motor Vehicles when you get stopped, and is allowed to rely on those official records to decide if you are suspended or not. A person who is driving with a suspended license presents a danger to the public safety, and the officer is simply following the law by making sure that a suspended driver does not continue to drive. The DMV maintains millions of individual records, and unfortunately mistakes do happen. You may want to contact DMV to ask them to pay for the towing of your car if it was their mistake that resulted in the tow.

See also:

I was not guilty of DUII.  Why should I have to pay for my tow and for the tow hearing?

At your criminal trial, the question was whether you were innocent or guilty of the crime of Driving Under the Influence. At a tow hearing, the only question is whether the officer had good reason to believe you were Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants. In other words, the criminal trial looks at you (whether you were really Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants) and the tow hearing looks at the officer (did he have good reasons to think you were Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants?)
If the officer had good reason to believe you were Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants, you will have to pay for your vehicle being towed, even if you are found not guilty in the criminal trial. For example, if the officer stops you and you have red eyes and smell of alcohol, there may be a good explanation for those things. You may have an allergy that causes red eyes and you may work at a beer brewery, which explains why you smell like alcohol. Even though you have good explanations that may result in you being found innocent in the criminal trial, those facts could lead a reasonable officer think you might be Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants.
Most police officers have had the unfortunate experience of responding to a car wreck where the driver was intoxicated. Often times in those situations innocent people are also involved and sometimes killed. If an officer thinks that a person is Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants, towing that person’s car makes certain that the person does not keep driving and injure themselves or other innocent people.
The law allows the hearings officer to order you to pay the costs of the tow hearing if he finds that the officer did have reasonable grounds to believe you were Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants. Before requesting a tow hearing, you should carefully consider whether the officer had good reasons to think that you were Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants.

See also:

The judge dismissed all charges against me.  Why can't I get my money back for my tow?

The law allows the police to tow a car for several reasons, such as driving without proof of insurance, Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants, or Driving While Suspended. The law does not require that you get convicted of the charge(s), it only requires that the police officer have reasonable grounds to believe you were violating the law. If the officer has reasonable grounds, you have to pay for the towing even if all the charges are dismissed. That same law also says how and when you can ask for a hearing to ask to be reimbursed for the costs of towing your car, which is on the notice given to you by the officer who towed your car. That law says you must ask for a hearing within a few days of the incident. If you do not ask for a hearing within the time frame required by law, you will not be reimbursed for the towing charges, even if the judge dismisses the charges, and even if the judge says you should not have to pay the towing charges. The judge has authority to decide what happens to the criminal charges against you, but the law does not allow the judge to make a decision about whether you have to pay the tow charges. The decision about whether you have to pay for your towing charges is made by the police department that tows your vehicle, and unless you ask for a tow hearing within the required time you will not even have a hearing.

Towed Vehicles

How do I file a complaint?

You have the right to request a hearing if your vehicle was towed, or has been tagged to be towed as an abandoned vehicle. Your request must be in writing and be within 5 days of the date the vehicle was tagged. You must also state the grounds upon which you believe the tow is not justified. Send it to Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Attn. Abandoned Vehicle Hearings Officer, 215 SW Adams Avenue MS#32, Hillsboro OR 97123.

If a vehicle is being impounded, what can be removed from the vehicle prior to tow?

The current Washington County contract with towing companies defines personal effects as property within a vehicle that is not bolted, fastened, snapped into place or otherwise attached to the vehicle. This means that installed batteries, stereos, stereo face plates, speakers, speaker boxes and spare tires in a tire carrier are not to be removed. However anything loose can be removed.

Also, please keep in mind that the longer the tow truck driver is on scene with the citizen removing their property, the more difficult it is for the tow company to dispatch to other calls. ORS 819.160 and our contract allow for the citizen to obtain their personal property within 15 days of the tow, free of charge during normal business hours, from the towing company. This information might also make it easier for the deputy to leave the scene more quickly in order to respond to other calls for service.

If the vehicle is being towed but not impounded, the deputy will decide what can be removed.

What type of information can I provide to help the towing company locate me faster?

Whether the vehicle is on the road and does whether it has tires and wheels.

Whether the vehicle is on its wheels or on its top.

If it is off the road, how far is it from the road and will a four-wheel drive vehicle be needed to reach it.

Explain how close the tow truck can get to the vehicle from the roadway.

If it is a larger vehicle, indicate whether it is carrying a load and the GVW.

When giving a location, landmarks are helpful with street names and cross-streets are helpful with addresses. For instance, if you are in a parking lot of a shopping center, name the closest store. If you are up a long driveway, can you move near the end of the driveway so that a tow truck driver can see the emergency flashers on your vehicle?

Anything that will help the tow company find you without having to call dispatch for further directions saves all of our time and keeps phone lines free for emergencies.

If a deputy calls for a non-preference tow, does it cost the citizen more money?

Yes it does cost more for the citizen because the deputy made the phone call rather than the citizen calling a tow company directly. The reason for this is due to the overhead that is required by our contract with the towing company. Sheriff's Office policy allows for the deputy to provide a list of tow companies to a citizen if the citizen requests it and if there are no holds on the vehicle. If you would like a list of tow companies for a specific area, please contact the Criminal Records Unit at (503)846-2524.

Where has my car been towed?

Call the Washington County Sheriff’s Office Records Department at (503) 846-2700. They will be able to tell you which tow company has your vehicle. The tow company will require proof of ownership and payment of towing and storage charges before they will release the vehicle.

Can the towing company turn the owner over to a collection agency?

If the towing company sells the vehicle and does not collect enough money to cover the costs of the tow and up to 20 days storage, some tow companies will attempt to obtain the difference through a collection agency.

Can I get my stuff out of the car?

If your vehicle was towed at the county’s request from public property, you have 15 days from the date of the tow to retrieve your personal belongings from the vehicle without paying towing or storage costs. This does not include anything that is attached to the vehicle.

Is the towing company required to clean up crash sites?

Yes they are. The current contract requires them to carry materials necessary for cleaning accident sites. This does include minor fluid spills, minor being a vehicle radiator or engine oil size spill. It does not include tanker truck spills. If the towing company fails to clean up an accident site, the tow truck driver may be cited for violation or ORS 822.225.

Does the towing company have a time limit to respond to the scene?

Yes they do. They are to be on scene in 25 minutes within the County urban growth boundaries, or 35 minutes for locations outside the Urban Growth boundaries. If a tow company is late without a legitimate excuse, it will show on performance reports for each tow company.

Traffic Safety

How can I get a speed zone changed?

Some speeds are set by Oregon Revised Statutes and can only be changed by legislation. Examples of statutory speeds are 55 mph basic rule on most rural and unposted roadways, 25 mph on residential streets, or 20 mph in business districts. To change a speed limit not designated by state statute a traffic engineering investigation must be performed. Citizens may request the city or county change a posted speed.

If the city or county agrees that the speed for a particular street or highway should be changed, it can make a request to ODOT’s Traffic-Roadway Section for a review and investigation. The Region traffic engineering staff conducts the investigation using procedures in accordance with nationally accepted traffic engineering standards. Factors taken into consideration are accident history, roadside culture, traffic volumes, and roadway alignment, width and surface.

A major factor in establishing speed zones is consideration of the 85th percentile speed. This is the speed at or below which 85 percent of the vehicles are traveling. This is used as an indication of the speed most drivers feel is reasonable and safe.

When the investigation is complete, a report with photographs detailing the existing conditions and proposed changes is prepared. The report is sent to the city or county for review. If the city or county agrees with the recommendation, the new speed zone is established.

If ODOT and the local road authority cannot reach agreement on the setting of a speed zone, the speed zone request is referred to the Speed Zone Review Panel. The panel is comprised of representatives of the Oregon Transportation Safety Committee, the Oregon State Police, the Association of Oregon Counties, the League of Oregon Cities, and the Department of Transportation. The panel hears ODOT’s recommendations and testimony from the local road authority and makes the final decision. It is the responsibility of the road authority to install new speed zone signs.

How long does my child need to be in a car seat?

Child Restraint Law: Child passengers must be restrained in approved child safety seats until they weigh 40 pounds. Infants must ride rear facing until they reach both one year of age AND 20 pounds.

Booster Seat Law: Children over 40 pounds OR who have reached the upper weight limit of their car seat's harness system, must use a booster seat until they are 4'9" tall OR age 8. The booster seat requirement does not apply when the rear seat of the vehicle is equipped only with lap belts, provided the child is secured by the lap belt.

Safety Belts: A child taller than 4'9" OR age 8 or older must be properly secured with the vehicle's safety belt. The child is properly secured if the lap belt is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck.

Failure to properly use safety belts or child restraints is a Class D traffic violation with a $110.00 fine - ORS 811.210 and ORS 815.055; effective January 1, 2012.

See also:

What are the bicycle helmet laws for Oregon?

Effective on July 1, 1994, any youth under age 16 riding a bike or when a passenger on a bike in any public place (streets, roads, sidewalks, parks, etc.) must wear bicycle helmets labeled ANSI and/or Snell approved.

Bike helmets save lives and have been shown to reduce serious head injuries by as much as 85%.

You could get a ticket and a $25 fine. If you are under age 12, your parent or guardian could get a ticket. If you are over 12, either you or your parent can get a ticket.

See also:

What if I can’t be there on my arraignment date?

You are automatically granted a one-week grace period from the court appearance date on you citation. You do not need to contact the court for this extension. It is granted automatically.

You also have the option to make a written plea. You will need to post the full presumptive fine along with a letter to the Judge. A written explanation will be given the same consideration as a personal appearance. If the fine is reduced, a refund will be sent by mail so please make sure to include a valid mailing address if you choose this option.

Is it legal for people to walk down the rural roads in Washington County that do not have sidewalks and force traffic to stop and go around them?

Yes, it is legal for pedestrians to walk on rural roads, however, they are required by law to yield to vehicles. You'll find the information you're looking for on the State of Oregon's Bicycle & Pedestrian Program Laws and Regulations page at:

Enforcement of vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian laws on rural Washington County roads is the responsibility of the Sheriff's Office. You can submit an online Traffic Complaint form at:

Who do I contact if I have a specific traffic safety concern in my neighborhood that may involve adding new signs or street striping?

To request a service or report a road-related problem, call 503-846-ROAD (846-7623), e-mail us, or submit the online service request form.

To report a hazardous road condition outside of normal business hours, call the Washington County 911 non-emergency response number: 503-629-0111.

Related: Sheriff's Office Traffic Complaints (patrol enforcement request)

What is the speed limit when there are no speed signs posted?

Oregon law sets the following speed zone standards:
  • 20 mph - business districts, school zones
  • 25 mph - internal subdivision streets, public parks, ocean shores
  • 55 mph - open highways and rural roads
  • Posted speeds override these statutory standards. All travel on public roads is subject to Oregon's Basic Speed Rule. The Basic Speed Rule states that a motorist must drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent considering other traffic, road and weather conditions, dangers at intersections and any other conditions that affect safety and speed. In other words, drivers are expected to use good judgment in selecting their speed. The Basic Speed Rule does not allow a driver to exceed the posted speed. A driver could also drive below the posted speed and violate the Basic Speed Rule. For example, in snow or ice, a driver could travel at less than the posted speed and still be traveling faster than is reasonable and prudent for the conditions.

    See also:

    What happens if I miss my trial date?

    A missed trial date will result in imposition of the full fine amount of the violation(s)and an entry of the conviction(s)on your driving record. A notice to suspend your driver's license will be sent to the DMV.

    What is the difference between guilty and no contest?

    A plea of guilty means that you are admitting to the violation. A no-contest plea means that you are not admitting to the violation, but accept that you will be treated the same as if you had plead guilty and will result in a fine and a conviction on your driving record.

    How do I get a traffic signal installed?

    A. Traffic signals are installed based on intersection safety rankings. Additional investigation for a specific concern can be requested using our online service request form.

    What is the difference between an arraignment and a trial?

    An arraignment is the court appearance date and time the police officer entered on the bottom of your citation. This is the time in which you will enter your plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. A trial is the scheduled date you and the citing officer will appear if you plead not-guilty to a charge.

    What happens if I plead not guilty?

    If you enter a plea of not-guilty, a trial will be scheduled with the officer present.

    How do I change my trial date?

    Once a trial date has been scheduled, requests for a new date must be made in writing and will be granted only in the case of a verifiable emergency.

    Will the citing police officer be there for my arraignment?

    The citing police officer will not be at your arraignment.

    Transfer Tax

    How much time do we have to file an exemption for transfer tax?

    You must pay the tax or file for an exemption within fifteen (15) days from the date of recording. It is imperative that one or the other is done to avoid a penalty.

    Transient Lodging

    Should the Fair and Fairgrounds Agreement memorialize the dedication of 1/9th of the Transient Lodging Tax to the Fair and Fairgrounds?

    Per County Code, 1/9th of the Transient Lodging Tax is permanently dedicated to the Fair and Fairgrounds. These resources are received directly into the Fair Fund (not the General Fund) and are not discretionary in nature. Washington County voters would need to approve any changes in the Transient Lodging Tax formula or distribution methodology. The County does not see a benefit of restating in the agreement what is already clearly established in County Code.

    See also:

    Should the Agreement include a formula to distribute the Transient Lodging Tax between the Fair event and Fairgrounds maintenance?

    Since the resources of the Fairgrounds are finite and the needs great, we believe the Fair Board, Board of Commissioners and staff need to work closely and collaboratively to establish annual funding priorities and strike a resource balance between the Fair event and other Fairground necessities. We recognize the needs of the Fair and Fairgrounds will evolve over time. In order to address emerging needs and priorities the County needs to maintain maximum flexibility and discretion over how funds are appropriated. In our judgment a distribution formula is not necessary or in the best interest of the Fair and Fairgrounds.

    Transportation and Land Use

    Why are we spending so much money on transportation capital?

    In 1995, voters approved the original levy for the Major Streets Transportation Program (MSTIP), this amount was rolled into the County tax “base” as a result of Ballot Measure 47/50 in 1996. This fund allocates the amount of taxes that the increased tax base generates. This amount is reduced by the debt service needs for bonding the program to provide cash flow. Also, a portion of the amount is dedicated to high growth projects which are approved by the Board of Commissioners.
    • The Road Capital Fund includes 1% of Gas Tax Revenue which is mandated to be spent on bike and pedestrian projects. It also includes other gas tax and vehicle registration fees dedicated to roads, bridges and Intelligent Transportation System projects.
    • The Urban Road Maintenance District (approved by voters) requires capital expenditures for maintaining road and has been expanded to include bike and pedestrian projects as well as other projects.
    • The North Bethany County Service District for Roads (approved by voters) requires the tax revenue to be spent within the district to build new roads.
    • The Countywide Traffic Impact Fee is used for extra capacity street facilities required by development. This fund is winding down and transfers funding for projects to other transportation funds to help pay for improvements. This fee was replaced by the Transportation Development Tax approved by voters in November 2008.
    • The Transportation Development Tax fund provides resources to build transportation system capacity that is needed as a result of new building development.
    • The North Bethany System Development Charges (approved by the Board of Commissioners) are used to fund system capacity increases in this district.
    • Bonny Slope West System Development Charges (approved by the Board of Commissioners) are used to fund system capacity increases in this district.

    I am curious about Scoggins Dam. Is seismic retrofitting coming out of capital improvements or culture and recreation?

    No. Those are a mix of federal, state and local funds. For the latest information about Scoggins Dam design options and water supply improvements, please visit


    Does Washington County provide treatment for mental health or substance use disorders?

    Washington County does not provide direct services. There are several agencies within Washington County that a person can access for treatment services. Most commercial insurance companies and the Oregon Health Plan provide coverage for outpatient substance use disorder services and mental health treatment. Individuals who are low income, underinsured or ineligible for the Oregon Health Plan may qualify for free treatment funded by the County. For more information call Washington County Behavioral Health at 503-846-4528. More information is available on our Getting Help pages:

    Getting Help: Addictions

    Getting Help: Mental Health

    Where can I find residential treatment for either mental health or addictions?

    If you have commercial insurance, contact your carrier and ask for a list of in-network providers. You can usually find a phone number for member services on the back of your insurance card. For individuals who are on the Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid), your Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) can assist you with connecting to a residential provider for treatment. Call your CCO directly to find out more about your treatment options.

    How much does treatment cost?

    Treatment is often covered by commercial insurance or the Oregon Health Plan (OHP). If you have commercial insurance, please contact your carrier and ask for a list of in-network providers. You can usually find a phone number for member services on the back of your insurance card. For individuals who are on the Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid), your Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) can assist you with connecting to a provider for treatment. Call your CCO directly or visit our OHP page for more information.

    If you do not have insurance and are ineligible for the Oregon Health Plan, you may qualify for free treatment funded by the County. This is only available for people who have a low income and needs that cannot be addressed by other low-cost counseling providers. Service availability may vary. Funding is limited and criteria may change as resources allow. For more information call Washington County Behavioral Health at 503-846-4528.

    In Oregon, treatment for a gambling use disorder is offered free of charge.

    Why is treatment free for gambling use disorders?

    A portion of lottery proceeds are used for prevention and treatment of problem gambling. Treatment is free to anyone who wants it, even family members. Not only is treatment free, it is confidential, and it works! Learn more by visiting the Oregon Problem Gambling Resource webpage or at our gambling addiction services page for links to providers in Washington County.


    Who do you "Call Before You Dig?"

    If you plan to dig, contact the Oregon Utility Notification Center (OUNC) toll free at (800) 332-2344. This is an invaluable free service to prevent accidents related to buried utility lines and facilities. The OUNC notifies member utilities operating in the proposed excavation area to locate and mark their underground facilities.


    My question is what is Washington County doing in case our worst-case fears occur and the vaccines do not end up being a panacea?

    We will continue to need to take all precautions for many months until we have more people vaccinated and can achieve community immunity. This means wearing face coverings, physically distancing, washing hands and keeping gatherings limited to small groups of no more than six people from no more than two different households. Please keep in mind that the vaccines have been shown to be 95% effective, so if people get vaccinated we will reduce infections over time.

    I recently read that Oregon has about 10% of the contact tracers needed to really be effective. While awaiting a vaccine, people are dying at alarming rates. Is anything being done to recruit more contact tracers?

    At this time we are no longer focused on contact tracing and daily monitoring. Our efforts have shifted because of the change in the community spread of COVID-19. We are focused on working with cases to notify their own close contacts. We've redeployed our staff to help with outbreaks and isolation and quarantine support as our higher priorities.

    I’d like to know if the COVID vaccine is going to be made mandatory for kids to go back to school and will we be given the opportunity to vote on that. I’d also like to know why our high school kids are being given the lowest priority for getting back int

    Current vaccines are not available for children, so it will not be mandatory. We understand and agree that we should do everything we can to get children back in school safely. We continue to work with the Department of Education and the Oregon Health Authority on how to accomplish this, particularly as we have very high rates of infection in our community at this time.

    I heard the Chair say there are about 300,000 health care workers in Oregon but missed how many there are in Washington County. From one of the slides, I counted about 266,000 "doses" of the vaccine coming by year end from the two companies currently prov

    In the first round of vaccinations received, only a portion of health care workers will be able to get vaccinations. There will be a priority for those caring for people with COVID-19 getting vaccine first.

    Find out more about vaccines at the county’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information page.

    Is there any talk of vaccine distribution based upon positivity rates?

    Once Phase 1 and 2 priority populations have been vaccinated, populations disproportionately impacted by COVID-19 will be prioritized. In Washington County we are working with our partners to prioritize Latinx and other disproportionately impacted populations.

    Do you happen to know if we will pay for the vaccine or if the feds will cover the expense?

    The federal government has purchased the vaccine. There will be no cost for the vaccine, but providers may have a cost for office visits and any other care provided.

    Can you give the time frame for when the over-65 population will be vaccinated?

    The hope is by late spring 2021, all Oregonians will have access to vaccination. We hope to have vaccine for those over 65 in age and those at increased risk by early 2021.

    I have a question about the second company coming in with the vaccine. Is it going to be a two-step vaccine as well? Also, when do you anticipate those of us over 65 will be in line for the vaccination? Thank you.

    The second vaccine in line to possibly be approved is also a two-step vaccine. Individuals at high risk such as those 65 and over, will be eligible for vaccines in what we call the second phase of step 1. We believe this will be in late January or February.

    I hear the vaccine manufacturing delays for M-RNA vaccines is due to supply shortages because of competition for COVID testing for materials. Is anything being done to address this at the federal level or at the state level to encourage better use of thes

    There are efforts at the state and federal levels to increase supplies to assure access to testing and vaccination, including adequate personal protective equipment (PPE).

    When do you think healthy 30-somethings will be able to get the vaccine?

    Vaccine distribution is expected to take several months. Our current understanding is that the general public may have access to vaccines in late spring/summer of 2021.

    Is there a detailed plan on distributing the vaccine throughout the community (such as where to access, costs associated, etc.)?

    Washington County public health has a vaccine team working on planning for our community. Oregon Health Authority will be working with an advisory committee with a focus on health equity to provide us with general guidelines. Our focus will be in communication, education and on conducting small-vaccine clinics for specific populations.

    How will people be notified that it is their turn to get the shot? Will it be like the flu shots of simply [it is time] to get it or will [we] be identified by groups that we are due to go get it?

    We are working with our health care, pharmacy, Oregon Health Authority, other regional counties and other partner organizations to get the word out. We will also use Washington County's social media feeds to get the word out as the vaccine becomes widely available.

    Is there any planning in case vaccines do not accomplish what we all are hoping?

    We will continue to need to take all precautions for many months until we have more people vaccinated and can achieve community immunity. This means wearing face coverings, physically distancing, washing hands and keeping gatherings limited to small groups of no more than six people from no more than two different households.

    Question about the second company coming in with the vaccine. Is it going to be a two-step vaccine as well? Also, when do you anticipate those of us over 65 will be in line for the vaccination?

    Yes, both vaccines require two doses, three-to-four weeks apart. In addition, it is important that both doses are the same vaccine, you should not mix the two types of vaccinations.


    Living in an RV

    Living in an RV is prohibited, with the exception of specifically approved health hardship permits outside the Urban Growth Boundary. A health hardship permit requires documentation from a physician. To file health hardship land use application, contact Current Planning.

    How do I purchase a county vehicle?

    Contact the Fleet Management Division Surplus Vehicles Page

    See also:

    How do I report a reckless driver of a county vehicle?

    Contact the Fleet Management Division.

    See also:

    How do I report a county vehicle or equipment that appears to be in poor or hazardous condition?

    Contact the Fleet Management Division.

    See also:

    How do I file a claim or report an accident involving a county vehicle or equipment?

    Contact the Risk Management Division.

    See also:

    Recreational vehicles (RVs) and trailers on private property

    One RV and one trailer are allowed per tax lot, and are included in the limit of four operable vehicles and one inoperable vehicle per tax lot.

    Inoperable vehicles on private property

    Outdoor parking or storage of more than one inoperable vehicle per tax lot is not allowed (except for wrecking yards approved through a land use application).

    RVs parked on the street

    RVs can be parked on residential streets within the Enhanced Sheriff's Patrol District for four days (96 hours) in any 28-day period. Email the Washington County Sheriff's Office or call the non-emergency line 503-629-0111.

    Street parking

    Street parking along public roads is not monitored or enforced by LUT. Email the Washington County Sheriff's Office or call the non-emergency line 503-629-0111.

    Vehicles allowed on private property

    The Washington County Community Development Code (CDC) prohibits outdoor parking/storage of five or more vehicles on a single tax lot/parcel for more than 48 hours, except as approved in conjunction with a development.


    What is the number for the Regional VA office?


    What’s the number for the VA home loan program?

    Switchboard is open 8:30am to 3:30pm Pacific Time

    What is the Westside Clinic address and phone number?

    1925 NW Amberglen Parkway
    Beaverton, OR 97006

    What is Portland's VA Medical Center phone number?


    How to obtain DD-214/Discharge papers?

    Visit National Archives and Records Administration website or obtain a copy of Standard Form-180 from the Veterans Service Office, which can be submitted to the appropriate Military Service Branch.

    See also:

    Victim Assistance

    How do I get a restraining order?

    To apply for a protection order, please contact the Domestic Violence Resource Center's Protective Order Advocacy Program at (503) 846-3020. See also:

    See also:

    What rights do I have as a victim of crime?

    You have rights as a victim of a crime. Some rights are automatic, but some must be specifically requested by the victim to go into effect. If you are the victim of a crime and would like to invoke certain rights, please complete the Victims' Rights Request form. See also:

    See also:

    Victims' Services

    How can I find out about a case I am involved in?

    Contact the Victim Services Program at (503) 846-3784. To assist the advocate in finding information about your case it is helpful to know the following: offender’s name; police agency and/or police report number; type of offense and the date it occurred. You will be given an update on your case (if it has arrived at the Juvenile Department) and hearing notification (if one has been scheduled). You may also request information about counseling or other victim support services. In most circumstances, you should be able to know the general plan for your case within two to four weeks after it is received by the Juvenile Department. The Juvenile Court process is not secret. It is open to the public, and the involvement and participation of victims is especially encouraged.

    How do I get my property returned if it has been recovered by the police?

    Recovered property may be needed as evidence if the case goes to trial. For this reason, the police will not ordinarily release your property back to you until the District Attorney's Office (Juvenile Division) advises them in writing that it is no longer needed. Sometimes it is possible to photograph urgently needed property and then release it before trial - contact the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the Juvenile Department at (503) 846-8861.

    What services are available at CCVS?

    Our mission is to provide counseling, advocacy, education, and referral services that help liberate people from the effects of criminal harm, encourage healthy relationships, and promote a responsible community.

    CCVS works to support victims, to advocate for human rights, to reduce the effects and risks of harm, to provide public education, and to facilitate a strong and healing community. CCVS also partners closely with government and community partners to encourage a network of care.

    Services include counseling, advocacy, public education, and training for graduate intern counselors.

    See also:

    What help is available to me as a victim of crime?

    At CVS, we primarily help crime victims whose offenders are either post-conviction (in prison, on parole/probation, or out of the system) or whose crimes were not prosecuted. Our advocate is available to help guide you through your rights and connect you to available services. Visit our Advocacy page for more details.

    If the District Attorney’s Office is currently prosecuting your offender, you can contact the DA’s Victims’ Assistance advocates for help at 503-846-8671. 

    See also:

    I need help now. Who can I turn to?

    If you are in a crisis situation or in danger, please call 911 for assistance.

    The following numbers may also be helpful:

    Portland Women’s Crisis: 503-235-5333 or 1-888-235-5333
    Wa. Co. Domestic Violence Hotline: 503-469-8620 or 1-866-469-8600
    Washington County Mental Health Crisis: 503-291-9111
    Multnomah County Mental Health Crisis: 503-988-4888 or 1-800-716-9769
    Washington County 211 Information & Referral: 503-222-5555

    You can call our main line at 503-846-3020 or walk-in to our clinic during normal business hours for assistance.

    See also:

    My child is a victim who needs counseling. Does CCVS help children? How do I get him/her an appointment?

    CCVS uses a "family systems" model in treating dependent children (under age 18) which means that we require parents/guardians to be involved in a family therapy approach rather than treating the child individually. We believe it's important to honor parents/guardians as the "experts" on their children by engaging them in their child's treatment and supporting their efforts at home. This includes involved non-custodial parents.

    You can call our main line at 503-846-3020 to request services or visit our Counseling page for more information.

    If your child is age 18 or older, and you are not a legal guardian of the child, you cannot make an appointment on their behalf. Adults have the right to consent and self-determination and must engage counseling services on their own. If you believe your adult child is a danger to him/herself or others please call 911 or call the Washington County Mental Health Crisis line at 503-291-9111 for assistance.

    See also:

    My spouse/significant other was victimized and needs counseling.  How can I get him/her an appointment?

    You are not able to make counseling appointments on behalf of other adults unless you are the legal guardian of that person. Adults have the right to self-determination and consent to treatment and it’s important that they are ready for counseling. Your loved one will have to request services for his/herself. For information on our counseling services, please visit our Counseling page.

    If you are concerned your loved one is a danger to him/herself or others, call 911 or the Washington County Mental Health Crisis Line at 503-291-9111 for help.

    See also:

    How do I get a restraining order?

    To get a restraining order or a stalking order, your circumstances must meet certain qualifications.

    Visit our Protective Orders page for detailed information. To obtain a protective order go to the Hillsboro Family Advocacy Center located at:

    180 E Main St., Suite 200
    Hillsboro, OR 97123

    (503) 640-5352

    For Restraining Orders: Plan to arrive early in the day (8:30 - 10:00AM) if you want to go to court on the same day. Paperwork must be completed by 10:30. You will watch a video at 12:30, then go to court afterwards. If you are granted an RO, your paperwork will be available sometime after 3:00PM. This is a full-day process.

    See also:

    What are the criteria to receive free counseling services at CCVS?

    Most people are eligible to receive counseling at CCVS.   Occasionally a counseling need will fall outside the scope of our clinicians who are counselors-in-training (severe mental illness, formal psychological evaluations, medication requests, situation where a specific type of therapy like DBT or batterer treatment is recommended, etc.) but we’ll work to refer you to available services that fit your circumstances.

    See also:

    What are your counseling fees?

    All services are free.

    See also:

    My Offender is going to be released. Who can help me with safety planning and information?

    Amy Smith, Victims' Advocate, is available to support you with information about offenders. She can be reached at 503-846-3026. Visit our Advocacy page for more information.

    See also:

    Who qualifies for CCVS services?

    Anyone who has experienced crime, trauma or abuse at any point in their life; regardless of whether it was reported to law enforcement. Community counseling services are also available for non-victim issues.

    What if I am harassed by the juvenile offender while my case is pending?

    Call the police and report the harassment. Then call the Juvenile Department and report it to the counselor handling your case or to Victim Services at (503) 846-3784.

    Where is CCVS located?

    CCVS is located in the passageway between the Justice Services Building and the Courthouse, on the first floor. Visitors must pass through security and metal detectors in order to access our Center. Please see the Contact Us page for further information.

    See also:

    When is CCVS open?

    CCVS is open daily, from 8:30AM to 5:00PM.  However, in some cases, appointments can be made after normal business hours. Call our main line at 503-846-3020 for more information or visit our Contact Us page.

    See also:

    Who provides the services at CCVS?

    Counseling services are provided by masters graduate counseling interns and staff. Advocacy services (offender information, general information & referral, basic needs supplies, corrections information, etc.) are provided by our Victims’ Advocates. See the Program Overviews page for more information.

    See also:

    What rights do I have as a crime victim?

    Crime victims have established federal and state rights and we are available to inform and guide you. Contact Amy Smith at 503-846-3026 for more information or visit our Crime Victims’ Rights page for further details.

    See also:

    How to I schedule an appointment with a CCVS counselor?

    Just call our main line at 503-846-3020 or visit our clinic, and our caring staff will assist you. You can visit our Counseling page for further information.

    See also:

    Do you have to be a resident of Washington County to receive CCVS services?

    No. Our services are located in downtown Hillsboro, but you do not have to be a resident to come here for services.

    See also:

    There is a no-contact order that keeps me from seeing my spouse/significant other.  But I need his/her help to pay bills, take care of children, manage the home, etc.  What do I do?

    Our Victims’ Advocates are available to provide information and tools to cope with no-contact orders. Please visit our Advocacy page for contact information.

    See also:

    I’m interested in internship and volunteer opportunities.  Where do I begin?

    The important work we do would not be possible without the help of volunteers and interns. Please visit our How to Help page for more information.

    See also:

    What if the juvenile offender's attorney or investigator wants to talk to me?

    The juvenile's legal representative is permitted to talk with you if you agree. You may refuse to speak to an attorney or private investigator for the alleged youth offender. If you decide that you would like to speak with the juvenile’s attorney or private investigator, you may request to have a Deputy District Attorney present.

    How can I support the Center for Counseling & Victims’ Services?

    There are many ways to help support CCVS; from sharing information about our center with community groups and businesses, to volunteering, to direct donations. If you’d like to find out how you can help, please visit our How to Help page for more information.

    See also:

    How can I request that my address not be given to the offender?

    Victims' addresses and phone numbers are witheld from the youth offender automatically.

    How can I arrange to have someone come to my group and speak about Victims’ issues?

    We love to get out in the community and speak with the public about a variety of crime victims' issues. Please visit our Public Education and Outreach page for more information.

    See also:

    Is CCVS near public transportation?

    Yes. We are just over a block from the Hatfield Max station and we are near bus lines as well.

    See also:


    How can I pay my ticket if the Court has sent a notice of suspension to the DMV?

    After a notice of suspension has been issued, you must pay the full amount owed before the court will clear the hold on your driver's license. The court will not accept personal checks in this case.

    What should I plead?

    The Court Clerks can not give you legal advice or influence your choice of plea. Entering a plea of guilty or no contest results in a fine and a conviction on your driving record. A not-guilty plea results in a trial.

    Do you offer traffic school to keep the violation off of my driving record?

    Traffic safety school is offered to youth and adults with no prior traffic convictions, who have not already participated in a traffic diversion program. You must also meet eligibility requirements set forth by the Court as determined at your Court appearance.

    Can I pay for my ticket without having to appear?

    You may pay your ticket by mailing a check or money order and a copy of the citation to: The Washington County Justice Court, 3700 SW Murray Blvd., Suite #150, Beaverton, Oregon, 97005. OR you may call the court between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday and pay by phone using your Visa, Matercard or Discover card.


    The contribution of Volunteers has been part and parcel of the work of the Fairgrounds and has contributed considerable value to the Fair events and facilities over the years. Will this continue to be a focus for the County?

    The County acknowledges the contributions of volunteers at the Fairgrounds and remains committed to a strong partnership. The County will work closely with the Fair Board and other volunteers to provide opportunities to participate and contribute to the ongoing success of the Fair and Fairgrounds.

    Voter Registration

    *How do I register to vote?

    Registering to vote in Oregon is quick and simple. Oregonians can register: Online using My Vote. By mail using a voter registration form (PDF). This form also is available en Español. In person at the county elections office. The deadline to register is 21 days before Election Day. To register to vote in Oregon, you must be a U.S. citizen, an Oregon resident and at least 16 years old. Online registration requires a current Oregon drivers license or state ID card..

    See also:

    *What information is required to register to vote?

    To register to vote online you will need an Oregon driver's license, permit or ID card number issued by the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV). If you do not have an Oregon driver's license, permit or ID card, you can still use the online voter registration application. The information you enter will display on a voter registration card (PDF document) that you will need to print, sign and deliver to your county elections office to complete your registration. Alternative to Registering Online Instead of registering to vote online you can complete a Voter Registration form and return it to your county elections office. If you have any questions, call the county elections office.

    See also:

    *Do I have to register by party?

    No. If you do not want to be affiliated with a political party, you may check the box that states Not a member of a party. You may not designate or change a party affiliation after the 21st day before the primary election.

    See also:

    *May I transfer my registration from another state?

    No. If you wish to vote in Oregon, you must register in Oregon.

    *Who may register to vote?

    To register to vote in Oregon, you must be: A U.S. citizen A resident of Oregon At least 16 years old If you are not yet 18 years of age, you will not receive a ballot until an election occurs on or after your 18th birthday.

    See also:

    *Where can I find registration forms?

    You can find them at the:
    Post Offices
    Department of Motor Vehicles Offices
    Public Libraries Or download from:

    See also:

    *When do I register to vote?

    You may register at any time. However, your voter registration card must be postmarked no later than the 21st day before the election at which you intend to vote.

    See also:

    Voting General Information

    *Where do I go to vote?

    Oregon has the most convenient voting system in the country. Since adopting vote-by-mail, Oregon consistently ranks as a national leader in voter turnout. Registered voters receive a ballot two to three weeks before an election, giving time to research issues or candidates. Voters also receive an official ballot to complete and insert into the security envelope which is placed in the ballot return envelope and signed by the voter. The ballot return envelope can be stamped and mailed or dropped off at any official drop box across the state. If a voter casts their ballot after the Wednesday before an election, the ballot should be left at a drop box site to ensure it's counted. Ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day.

    See also:

    *How do I vote the ballot?

    Please refer to the link “Vote-By-Mail-Made-Easy” on the Navigation bar.

    See also:

    *What type of voting assistance does Washington County offer?

    Upon request: Voter Assistance Teams can provide individualized assistance as needed. Alternate Format Ballot (AFB) a HTML formatted ballot for those who have Assistive technology. Assisting the voter by providing the latest voting technology. Large print ballots.

    See also:

    *How can I change my vote?

    You can change your vote as long as you have not already returned your ballot. Call the Elections Office to request a replacement ballot. You cannot change your vote once you have returned your ballot.

    *Is my vote secret?

    Your vote is secret. No one will know how you voted. The secrecy envelope that contains your ballot is removed and separated from the ballot return envelope before it is opened. Then your ballot is counted.

    Water Rights

    I'm purchasing or selling a piece of property. Do I have water rights?

    All legally established water rights are on record with the Oregon Water Resources Department. You may contact our office for information on a specific piece of property or search our interactive water rights mapping application.

    I want to build a small pond on my property. Do I need a water right?

    In most cases, yes, you would need to apply for a water right. Small, off-channel ponds can be applied for under an Alternate Review Process that is generally faster and less expensive than the standard reservoir application. To download application forms, please visit the Oregon Water Resources Department website.

    I have a small creek/stream running through my property. Can I pump out of it to irrigate my lawn?

    No, not without a valid water right issued by the Oregon Water Resources Department. The Tualatin Basin is closed for any additional surface water permits.

    I just have a small lawn and a little garden. Do I need water rights to irrigate from my well?

    Oregon law allows the irrigation of up to 1/2 acre lawn or non-commercial garden if the source is ground water. However, there may be restrictions on this use if your property is within a ground water management area, such as the Cooper-Bull Mountain Critical Ground Water Area. Please contact us to determine if your property is located in one of these special management areas.

    West Bull Mountain

    Can the process be weighted in favor of property owners versus developers?

    All stakeholder input is treated equally.

    Once ordinances are adopted, when might development begin?

    Development can begin 30 days after the ordinance being adopted. Economic factors will play an important role in determining when development might begin. "Urban" services, such as water, are needed in order for development to occur.

    Has a park provider been identified for the West Bull Mountain area?

    Discussions with park providers continue.

    Is the West Bull Mountain area subject to annexation by the City of Tigard? Doesn't there need to be a physical connection?

    Service providers (water, parks) have not yet been identified. At this time it is not know what, if any, role cities will have in West Bull Mountain.

    Is the West Bull Mountain project on schedule for completion by October, 2009?

    The West Bull Mountain project continues to move forward with timeline adjustments made as necessary.

    See also:

    Are there regulatory alternatives to prevent tree cutting? Particularly concerned about Heritage Oak cluster?

    Tree removal remains under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Department of Forestry and current regulations allow tree cutting with certain restrictions.

    What is the status of the finance plan?

    Work on the finance plan continues.