Opioids (Pills and Heroin)

Click to enlarge graphic
Opioids are a group of drugs that includes the illegal drug heroin and prescription pain pills like Oxycontin, Vicodin and Percocet. Prescription pain pills can help treat severe and sudden pain, such as right after a car accident or surgery. But opioids can cause serious problems such as addiction, physical dependence and even death from overdose. Prescription pain pills are also not as effective for pain that lasts a long time. Talk to your doctor about the risks of using opioids and your options for other ways to manage your pain.

It is not safe to use someone else's medication or to use prescription pain pills for anything other than treating pain under a doctor's care.

Click on the picture to the right for some national and local statistics.

Get Help

Anyone can become addicted to opioids. We know it can be scary to ask for help, but you are not alone. Confidential and FREE help is available. Call the Washington County Crisis Line at 503-291-9111. The line is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also visit the Hawthorn Walk-in Center for help. They are open every day from 9 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.

Get Rid of Extra Drugs

Seventy (70) percent of people who have a problem with opioid use or addiction have gotten drugs from a friend or family member. Please get rid of old, extra or unused prescription pain pills in your home. Never flush drugs down the toilet or put them in the garbage. Find a safe, local drop-off site.

AnyonePDX Website

The AnyonePDX website has additional information that might be helpful. You can learn about:

  • Other ways to deal with your pain.
  • Naloxone, a lifesaving drug that can reverse an opioid overdose. This drug is available to the general public without a prescription.
  • Services available for people with pain and for people who are addicted.